Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: New TV shows in 2019  (Read 8735 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: New TV shows in 2019
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2019, 01:08:24 PM »

CHERNOBYL

Really really good.  Jared Harris is killing it on TV right now, between this and the criminally underwatched THE TERROR.  If you still never saw THE TERROR, I think it just came to Hulu.  It is perhaps a tad overlong, but it is maybe even more brutal than CHERNOBYL was, and that includes the scene with the dude that pretty much had no skin left.

Also, Stellan Skarsgard looks like the Dad from Frasier in this.  While it was odd to have the whole cast speak English, it actually helps the show overall I think.  The odder choice was probably to have the cast speak English, but leave certain very small portions of it in untranslated Russian, or using Cyrillic for all written language.

This also had some of the best period design/attention to detail of any show I've seen.  I looked at pictures from the actual Chernobyl, and it is almost indistinguishable.

foolsgold, I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but from what I hear, you should NOT let the missus watch this. Things happen to some animals and you don't have enough Xanax in the world for that.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2019, 01:14:19 PM »

foolsgold, I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but from what I hear, you should NOT let the missus watch this. Things happen to some animals and you don't have enough Xanax in the world for that.

It's a main element of episode 4.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2019, 01:43:59 PM »

CHERNOBYL

Really really good.  Jared Harris is killing it on TV right now, between this and the criminally underwatched THE TERROR. 

Don't forget that Jared Harris attended a Community Board meeting I presented at (his topic was before mine, so he left before I presented) a few years back. So you guys are like 2 very tenuous connections to Jared Harris!

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2019, 02:13:09 PM »

Don't forget that Jared Harris attended a Community Board meeting I presented at (his topic was before mine, so he left before I presented) a few years back. So you guys are like 2 very tenuous connections to Jared Harris!

I just assumed he lived in Britain.

In looking him up, he is the son of legendary actor Richard Harris.  More stuff I didn't know.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2019, 09:12:30 AM »

And his lady friend loves Indian Food. More stuff you didn't know.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2019, 07:11:02 AM »

BLACK MIRROR S5

Diminishing returns throughout this season, ending with the Miley Cyrus episode, where I feel like they went for a Short Circuit / semi-comedic ep that kinda doesn't work.  Even their bad episodes I still enjoy watching though, so hopefully Brooker will make some more at some point.  The ending to Episode 2 also bothered me, on a couple of levels.  But the amazingness of episode 1 makes up for both of the others, very worth it.

GOOD OMENS

Michael Sheen is amazing in this.  David Tennant is doing his best "Bill Nighy in LOVE ACTUALLY" impression, which was so spot on I really couldn't stop thinking "why didn't they just get Bill Nighy for this role"?  Maybe he's too old.  Anyway...

I found the resolution somewhat anti-climactic.  There were sort of 2 resolutions, and the final one ends up being more satisfying, which I imagine is what they were going for.  But I just spent a week watching CHERNOBYL and WHEN THEY SEE US, so I almost feel like I wasn't quite ready to bounce back to light entertainment.  I kept waiting for it to get super dark.  I'm not joking, episode 4 of 6 something happens along the lines of a love story / romance, and I FINALLY thought to myself "oh, so this whole series is supposed to be sort of twee and optimistic."  That lack of understanding of what the tone was probably killed the enjoyment somewhat for me, although it was mainly worth it to watch Sheen play the pinky-raised Felix to Tennant's supernatural Oscar.

Also, the constant "signpost" animation that was shuttling you from time-to-time and place-to-place felt really basic cable to me.  It bothered me much more than it should've.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:12:55 AM by Butter »

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2019, 11:33:14 AM »

Anybody want to share their HBO password?  I want to watch Chernobyl really badly.

Has anybody else here been watching What We Do In The Shadows?  If anybody has mentioned it I don't remember.  Man, just so well done.  Each episode is laugh out loud funny from beginning to end.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2019, 02:00:54 PM »

We completely love What We Do In The Shadows. Those guys are amazingly funny, and the season did a fantastic continuing to build.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2019, 12:23:21 PM »

Watched "Unauthorized Bash Brothers" last night.

It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect.

For 3 or 5 minutes it's just your typical Lonely Island/SNL short and it works just fine.  There's a few solid dick jokes, who doesn't like white guy B-Boy Beastie Boys rap (even if the production is clearly not late 80's), a couple of sight gags.  haha Andy Samburg looks nothing like Jose Conseco, but what a funny wig.  That's a solid package for a short bit.

For maybe another 10 minutes, there's a level of absurdist humor to it.  There is no way they could possibly stretch that  material out this long, but it's kind of fun to see them try.  And fail.  And knowing they are failing so just going to absurd lengths to get any sort of laugh.  You've moved from laughing with them to laughing at them, but at least you're still laughing.  And they're in on the joke.  They know it sucks.

And then after that, it's just kind of like "Oh wait.  This is what they always do."  This Bash Brothers concept could just as easily be George Bush or Princess Diana or anything else because in the end all they have is a few clever rhymes and some dick jokes and there is no reason to watch a half hour that is really just broken down into five videos which are exactly the same as the other half dozen videos they've done.

I will never not enjoy seeing Haim, Maya Rudolph or Sia in a guest appearance in a funny music video.  So there's that.  I wonder though, do people know that's Haim?  Like were they ever popular enough that people recognize them, know who they are, and therefore find it funny that they'd be in a stupidsilly video?  Or do they just think they are extras, or "oh yeah, I guess they got Haim because they work cheap and could use the money."

I found the whole watch worth it for:

"Shake 4 halves of butt."
"That's phrased weird."
"It's not weird at all.  I said, shake 4 halves of butt, shake 4 halves of butt."

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2019, 03:40:15 PM »

Sterling K. Brown in the Sia costume was pretty good. 

I mean, I enjoyed it. I just think it would have been better as five SNL shorts where the chunks would have been more digestible and it would have been fun anticipating what the next one would be.

Chris

• Citizen
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2019, 12:43:05 AM »

"Alexa, play some hot garbage."

It actually works. ;)

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2019, 08:09:43 PM »

I've binged Fleabag on Prime over the course of two nights. 2 seasons, 6 eps each, 30 minute episodes. Season 1 was very good, season two even better.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2019, 08:55:48 AM »

kingdom on netflix! feudal korea? political intrigue? beautifully filmed? and zombies? hell yes.

well done 6 episode season, renewed for another 6 episodes. i loved it! recommend it!

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2019, 06:35:25 PM »

Anyone else watching Years and Years on HBO?

The show is a 6-part series about an ordinary British family - two brothers and two sisters, their spouses, children and grandmother - that begins in 2019 and propels the characters 15 years forward into an unstable world.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2019, 01:53:57 PM »

MK, I gave "Years and Years" a try, and couldn't get into it... Doesn't mean that is not a good show. It simply wasn't for me.

Speaking of HBO, any else watching the summer series on true crime documentaries? All simply outstanding.

Just this week, there was the 2 part "Who Killed Garrett Phillips?". Absolutely amazing.

Last week, there was the 2 part "Behind Closed Doors", about a shocking double-murder in India.

And earlier on there was the 2 part "I Love You, Now Die".  Must-see TV!

The previews of the upcoming documentaries all look very promising too.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up