Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: New TV shows in 2019  (Read 7992 times)

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Re: New TV shows in 2019
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2019, 07:47:59 PM »

Prodigal Son = Prodigious Shite
Opulence. I has it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2019, 09:42:46 AM »

Finished "Good Omens" and thought it was cute and fun. Very Neil Gaiman-ey, which is impressive. I realize how easy it could be to take that same material but in the hands of someone else it's an entirely different spin, different feel, etc.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2019, 12:44:14 PM »

FLEABAG finished seasons 1 & 2.  Season 1 didn't get going until about Episode 4, but Season 2 was really good.

Also put in some time and watched KILLER RATINGS, which is about a Brazilian local show host who helms a sort of "America's Most Wanted/Cops" style variety show (yes, that's as weird as it sounds).  He ends up elected to political office.  And then he ends up accused of staging some of the crimes for some reason.  One thing is for sure, this show takes its time.  This probably literally could've been a 2 hour movie, instead it is something like 8 parts.  And the documentary goes well out of its way to present both sides, as supposedly there is still a lot of doubt in Manaus whether or not he did it.  Spoiler alert: He did, or he was the victim of a master criminal conspiracy.

Also, it's all in Portuguese, so if you want to brush up, here's like 6-7 hours of TV to help you.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2019, 11:39:58 AM »

Fleabag was good, but I didn't like it as much as everyone else did.

I feel like it was more well done than enjoyable.  I think the things that drew in the critics and audiences-- the emotional roller coaster, the breaking down of the fourth wall, the taut scenes and heavy dialog-- kind of came at the price of storyline and general coherency.

A lot of times I was just like, who are these horrible people and why is all this weird shit happening to them and why should I care about any of it?

Like Martin.  Brett Gelman is really good at that character (he's basically the same guy in Love).  But usually, he's just a comedic somewhat lightweight villain.  In Fleabag, Martin is loathesome and incompetent but somehow a real menace as a bad guy at the same time.  I can't take him not seriously and then very seriously all at once.

It just felt more like a play with scenes, each one a little vignette than a TV series.  Maybe because it came from a play. And I'm sure it was a deliberate choice, since she's perfectly capable of writing in a more standard TV format.  It just felt kind of off to me.  It was sort of the TV equivalent of a Mamet screenplay.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2019, 11:52:50 AM »

The excellent mini-series "Our Boys" (on HBO) is down to one last episode... What a ride this has been.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2019, 02:02:19 PM »

I was relieved that the final episode didn't cover some of the other performers like Brooks and Dunn.

Fixed that for me.

We dug it.  But we went in knowing that once the 80s hit we were going to hate most of the music, and we did.  Juliana listened to the Spotify play list and said she couldn't reach for the stop button fast enough when the late 70s early 80s stuff started.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2019, 10:24:49 PM »

despite growing up in Nashville I didn't listen to much country. It was kind of background, but I never sought it out until some point in high school (bad influences!)
Those songs from the 70s and 80s weren't super great, agreed!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2019, 11:51:52 AM »

70's country is awesome.  IMO, probably the golden era for the genre. 

Very late 70's/80's country did suck... but so did just about every other genre.  Too much disco and then too much overproduction.  If the 80's-- especially the early 80's-- hadn't been so shit, I doubt I would even be an indie/alternative listener. 

And 90's and beyond country is just fine with me.  Yeah, it became very pop but that's cool because pop kinda advocated that space.  What's "pop" nowadays is more R&B/dance/hip-hop and country is now kinda what pop used to be.  And I've always liked pop.

I had some interest in Country Music but I cannot stand Ken Burns.  I just feel like he's a tasteful white guy making appreciatively tasteful white guy commentary.  I don't think he goes very deep into the subject matter, nor does he explore controversies that need to be explored.  It's all very safely PC.  You get the "accepted," generally romantacized version of events even if that version is not factually correct.

I felt like Country Music was just going to be largely another Carter Family/Hank Williams love fest, and the world has way too many of those already.  If you guys tell me I'm wrong, maybe I'll watch it.  I'll skip over the early years though.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2019, 02:13:02 PM »

Not surprisingly, the Country Music documentary is indeed heavy on the Carter Family, which is presented as the all-time premier family of country. And even more so if you count Johnny Cash as part of the Carter Family (which I do count him part of it).

And yes it all is quite safe, if not predictable. Yet I still found it really interesting and enjoyable to watch. I had expected a huge drop-off in quality and interest after the first 4 episodes, and there was some of that but not nearly as much I had feared.

Of course, it's a serious time commitment (16 hrs. in total).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2019, 08:04:09 PM »

I'm finally watching the last episode. While not a huge country music fan, I picked up enough by osmosis that I could identify most artists before they were identified. I spent too much time throughout the series trying to identify the photographs of Nashville and the buildings in it.

I just learned that Dwight Yokum is from Pikeville, KY and later lived in Ohio. Having associated him with Bakersville, I had no idea he had "local" connections.

And Marty Stuart is a fountain of information.
also known as rcc94

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2019, 08:31:58 AM »

Prodigal Son = Prodigious Shite
I wanted to like this one because MICHAEL SHEEN should have all of the work. But, I deleted my Season Pass for this immediately after watching the first episode. Blech.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2019, 02:27:19 PM »

UNBELIEVABLE on Netflix satisfies a few things:  A crime procedural, a character study, a thoughtful study of rape victimization and its impact, a feminist empowerment story, a  look at the foster care system and how it impacts those in adulthood, and finally if you like stories where justice gets served... it does here.

Plus Toni Collette is in it and she's never not terrific.  The rest of the cast is really good too.  If there is one complaint it's that the dialogue is a little... much.  It's too heavy handed about some things, but you can forgive this show because it's told from a point of view not often seen.  A female-centric true crime story where the only male characters are either moral support, villains, bumbling idiots, or benevolent assistants.  It's well done and goes by faster than the 8 episodes would suggest.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2019, 10:23:44 AM »

UNBELIEVABLE on Netflix satisfies a few things:  A crime procedural, a character study, a thoughtful study of rape victimization and its impact, a feminist empowerment story, a  look at the foster care system and how it impacts those in adulthood, and finally if you like stories where justice gets served... it does here.

Plus Toni Collette is in it and she's never not terrific.  The rest of the cast is really good too.  If there is one complaint it's that the dialogue is a little... much.  It's too heavy handed about some things, but you can forgive this show because it's told from a point of view not often seen.  A female-centric true crime story where the only male characters are either moral support, villains, bumbling idiots, or benevolent assistants.  It's well done and goes by faster than the 8 episodes would suggest.

Binge watched it all on Saturday and loved it.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2019, 02:17:39 PM »

Anyone watching the new documentary series "Leavenworth" currently airing on Starz? New episodes air on Sunday evenings but of course are then immediately available on VOD.

Premise of the series: a US platoon leader is serving a 19 year prison term (in Leavenworth, KS) for his involvement in the 2012 shooting incident that cost the lives of two Afghan civilians. This happened in Kandahar Province, the most dangerous place in all of Afghanistan. How can a platoon leader get prison time for this while battling in a war? And what REALLY happened?

The series is produced by Steve Soderbergh, by the way.

I am a sucker for documentaries, and am absolutely loving this series (I have watched the first 2 episodes). HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2019, 10:25:03 AM »

4 episodes into Leavenworth: absolutely amazing stuff! Last episode coming up. Can't wait.

Other stuff I am enjoying:

Mrs. Fletcher (HBO): single mom (re)discovers freedom when son goes to college. Think "Gloria". The series also follows the son, who turns out to be complete dickhead. I've seen the first 3 episodes, and am really enjoying this.

Watchmen (HBO): I took a chance on this. Am not really into superheroes/comics-based stuff, but this one is markedly different (not unlike, say, the recent "Joker" movie), in that it's not so much about superheroes. I've seen the first 4 episodes, and really like it.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up