Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Share an Unpopular Opinion  (Read 3329 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: Share an Unpopular Opinion
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 11:53:02 AM »

Unpopular opinion, at least around here maybe?:

I really don't like The National.  Never have.  Tried.  I probably have a song or two of theirs in my Spotify.  But their whole thing just sucks, AFAIC.  They should stop making music, at least together.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 12:17:25 PM »

oooh, thems throwing fireballs!

I love it Butter.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 12:22:16 PM »

The National are a shit Crash Test Dummies cover band.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 12:42:21 PM »

Don't get me wrong, though.  They're still better than Decemberists or Arcade Fire.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 01:06:14 PM »

Don't get me wrong, though.  They're still better than Decemberists or Arcade Fire.

Decemberists is occasionally tolerable.  Arcade Fire is great, you're just being curmudgeonly, or turned off by their pretension.

I checked, one National song, "The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness".  I got tired of that one right quick.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 01:06:52 PM »

Decemberists is occasionally tolerable.  Arcade Fire is great, you're just being curmudgeonly, or turned off by their pretension.

If Lando buys us some podcasting equipment, this should be our first episode.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 01:11:47 PM »

If Lando buys us some podcasting equipment, this should be our first episode.

Speak into my microphone...
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 01:29:40 PM »

Marty Brennaman has announced he will retire as the radio voice of the Cincinnati Reds after the 2019 reason.  I wish it could be immediately.  I've really grown tired of him.  I've always liked how he wasn't a homer, how he would criticize a Reds player if he deserved it, and would praise a good play by an opposing player.  But in addition to his  becoming too arrogant, he's pathetically insecure.  The Ask Marty portion of each Reds game, where he answers a question submitted by a listener, constantly refers to him as "the Hall of Famer."  Yes, we know you're in the Broadcasting Hall Of Fame or whatever it is--can't be bothered to look it up.  Why have it said over and over, little man?  Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:33:27 PM by Drjohnrock »
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 01:45:39 PM »

Marty Brennaman has announced he will retire as the radio voice of the Cincinnati Reds after the 2019 reason.  I wish it could be immediately.  I've really grown tired of him.  I've always liked how he wasn't a homer, how he would criticize a Reds player if he deserved it, and would praise a good play by an opposing player.  But in addition to his  becoming too arrogant, he's pathetically insecure.  The Ask Marty portion of each Reds game, where he answers a question submitted by a listener, constantly refers to him as "the Hall of Famer."  Yes, we know you're in the Broadcasting Hall Of Fame or whatever it is--can't be bothered to look it up.  Why have it said over and over, little man?  Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

I don't listen to radio much anymore, but the times I do his schtick gets real old real quick.  "And he walked him!" in a really exasperated voice seems to be par.

But I will ALWAYS have fond memories of listening to Marty and Joe in my youth... even when my boys were young, they used to sleep in the same room.  Some nights, I would have to go and lay in between them just to get them to calm enough to lay off each other.  I would turn on Marty and Joe (I think it was Joe's last season) and listen in their room... in addition to helping put them to sleep because it was super boring to them, I loved listening to them together.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:48:12 PM by Butter »

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 02:34:07 PM »

I don't listen to radio much anymore, but the times I do his schtick gets real old real quick.  "And he walked him!" in a really exasperated voice seems to be par.

But I will ALWAYS have fond memories of listening to Marty and Joe in my youth... even when my boys were young, they used to sleep in the same room.  Some nights, I would have to go and lay in between them just to get them to calm enough to lay off each other.  I would turn on Marty and Joe (I think it was Joe's last season) and listen in their room... in addition to helping put them to sleep because it was super boring to them, I loved listening to them together.

Nice story. Yeah, I think Joe prevented Marty from being too much of a jerk.  I really miss the old left hander.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2019, 02:49:42 PM »

I checked, one National song, "The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness".  I got tired of that one right quick.

I wouldn't say I was ever a huge Arcade Fire fan, but I liked their first few albums.  Reflektor sucked, but you could kind of write that one off as an "experimental album."  The new one though, really, REALLY sucks.

I think we discussed this before.  Arcade Fire to me is a bit formulaic and yes, pretentious.  Which generally meant that an Arcade Fire album had at least 1 song that sort of annoyed me and 1 song that I thought was brilliant.  The exact ratio differs, but it's usually close to 1:1 and the difference is really whether the rest of the songs are mediocre or kind of good.

I'd say this last Arcade Fire album has 2 songs that are beyond just bad, they're unlistenable to me.  I literally have to change the station or turn off the radio whenever they come on.  It has another 2 songs that are just awful in a normal way.  The other songs are mediocre/okay but I honestly think I'm overrating them just because I'm so grateful that they aren't Creature Comfort.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2019, 02:56:41 PM »

I wouldn't say I was ever a huge Arcade Fire fan, but I liked their first few albums.  Reflektor sucked, but you could kind of write that one off as an "experimental album."  The new one though, really, REALLY sucks.

I think we discussed this before.  Arcade Fire to me is a bit formulaic and yes, pretentious.  Which generally meant that an Arcade Fire album had at least 1 song that sort of annoyed me and 1 song that I thought was brilliant.  The exact ratio differs, but it's usually close to 1:1 and the difference is really whether the rest of the songs are mediocre or kind of good.

I'd say this last Arcade Fire album has 2 songs that are beyond just bad, they're unlistenable to me.  I literally have to change the station or turn off the radio whenever they come on.  It has another 2 songs that are just awful in a normal way.  The other songs are mediocre/okay but I honestly think I'm overrating them just because I'm so grateful that they aren't Creature Comfort.

We did have this discussion before, but it doesn't make you any less wrong.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2019, 03:02:08 PM »

The opinion that Marty Brennaman sucks is actually wildly popular everywhere in the US except Cincinnati.

How is Brennaman not a homer?  He's an insane homer.  It just maybe feels like he's not a homer because he sucks at it, just like he sucks at everything else.  How is that the one Reds player this guy doesn't wildly overrate and instead craps on all the time is Joey Votto?!?  JOEY VOTTO.  And even as a Cubs fan, I find his Kyle Schwarber fascination a little creepy.

Like how hard is this?  You like the best Reds player of the last 20 or so years BY FAR.  You hate on the generally overrated player from the team that you hate. 

Also FYI, Thom Brennaman also sucks.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2019, 03:05:22 PM »

We did have this discussion before, but it doesn't make you any less wrong.

Well of course it doesn't.  That would be impossible as I can't be less than 0% wrong.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2019, 01:56:49 PM »

tom brady.  will there ever be again a more perfect man? 
poach eggs, not elephants
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up