Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Share an Unpopular Opinion  (Read 6205 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: Share an Unpopular Opinion
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2019, 03:28:20 PM »

Unpopular opinion, at least around here maybe?:

I really don't like The National.  Never have.  Tried.  I probably have a song or two of theirs in my Spotify.  But their whole thing just sucks, AFAIC.  They should stop making music, at least together.

This sums up my feelings about The National precisely.  That guy should not sing, ever.  Although, what he does isn't really singing.

I could say the exact same thing about Wussy.  Which is unpopular locally to say the least.

Granted, they are miles better than when they started out... of course, that was back when they had a drummer that couldn't actually play the drums.  What's his name has improved greatly on guitar.  But Chuck has become a caricature and Lisa's voice isn't all that.  The song that WNKU played practically on repeat from that last album was awful... I couldn't understand a word.  I really liked it musically, but  Chuck and Lisa together turns me off.  I am honestly bewildered by their popularity.  I wanted to love it, tried to love it, again and again, but I don't and I don't understand how anybody else does either.

Also, couldn't agree more about Marty and Thom Brennaman.  I don't really get the love for Joe either, unless it was just for the sheer amusement of listening to him around the 7th or 8th when he was drunk off his ass and would only say 5 words per inning.  I remember well turning on the radio to a long stretch of white noise and thinking maybe something was wrong until you'd hear "And here comes the pitch" followed by more silence.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:30:07 PM by Kwyjibo »
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2019, 04:48:24 PM »

Wussy is a little different to me, because I have Ass Ponys context.

Cleaver has never exactly been a songbird but he's a phenomenal song writer.  And at least with the Ass Ponys, it all fit together.  The songs played up his "unique vocal stylings" to create something pretty awesome and different.  Like, I couldn't imagine someone trying to sing Kung Fu reference at a The Voice audition.

His songs have changed a bit now, and of course it's a different band with a different/additional singer.  Wussy as a collective doesn't work as well for me as Ass Ponys did.  They're really uneven and to me, most of their stuff doesn't quite come together.  But sometimes it does.  There are a few great Wussy songs, and I will never knock any act that ever manages to come up with even one great song.  Plus, I know that Cleaver's voice CAN work in the right situation and having that context I can hear how their less-good songs are often pretty close but just come up a little short.

Lisa Walker for all I know could be the greatest singer in the world, or she could be more like Meg White where that non-traditional style is all she knows.  The only reference I have is probably Wussy's cover of Ceremony where it's a song I know, and I'd say the cover is fairly straight-ahead.  Problem is, the original has a rather flat and not-so-tuneful vocal in the first place.  I do think her singing and voice fit well with Cleavers, I don't know if the Wussy songs they're singing work so well.

Also, they both seemed like really cool and nice people the few times I've talked with them, so I will confess I'm probably favorably biased towards anything Wussy puts out.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2019, 04:57:25 PM »

ketchup or catsup should be banished. it's only for people who like to taste red sugar paste instead of the flavor of the meal.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2019, 06:33:53 PM »

ketchup or catsup should be banished.
You are correct, sir, albeit for the wrong reason.

It's because there isn't a single meal in the world that cannot be improved when you add MORE MAYONNAISE.

You literally cannot think of a single dish that doesn't go with mayonnaise. And the more, the better.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2019, 07:42:36 PM »

Je suis en accord avec le gentilhomme Belge.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2019, 09:31:36 PM »

The fact that we play the national anthem prior to sporting events makes no sense and should be removed from the procedures.

It makes sense if it's one country vs another country playing, but tell me WHY precisely the national anthem needs to be played before each. and. every. athletic. contest. over. and. over?
Abso-fukkin-lutely.

At Cyclones games the anthem is preceded by “tonight’s national anthem is brought to you by (can’t remember the name) bank”. And when it was played at the start of every flying pig marathon I took part in, I threw up in my mouth a little every fucking time.

Xenophobic bullshite
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2019, 11:21:35 PM »

You are a good man, ZK, just as I always knew.

Just for the record: 60 percent of people from Belgium speak Dutch--some call it Flemish--(as I did growing up), not French. But it's all good.

More mayonnaise for everyone!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2019, 06:10:04 AM »

Chocolate

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2019, 07:33:40 AM »

Xenophobic bullshite

Alright, what else?  I'll also stick up for Marty, even if he isn't the announcer he used to be.  Yeah, he's cranky and comes down on players needlessly hard, but I still enjoy listening to his broadcasts with Jeff Brantley.  One of the things I most admire about him, when he's calling the game and not opining, is he knows how to pace his calls.  Nothing is worse than an announcer who talks the entire time.  I very much enjoy hearing crowd noise or the old WOXY DJ vendor belting out an operatic "Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer" in the background punctuated by a "he fouled it off."  It makes me feel like I'm at the game even if I'm just sitting on the patio with friends.  I can see why people who listen closely would be annoyed by him, though.  For me, he's best as almost background music. 

As for Wussy, I like them a lot and, until the last album, were one of the only bands I like who got better from album to album culminating with Forever Sounds.  As much as I liked Ass Ponys, at times, they seemed like they played a little jokey, almost novelty songs.  They reminded me of that Presidents of the United States or that New Age Girl song at times.  The good thing was that those songs were usually offset by songs dripping in pathos.  I guess it comes down to what I play at home.  The only AP album that gets semi-regular play is Lohio, but I'll play a lot more Wussy, especially the middle to late era stuff. 

Since Boxer, every National release is basically the same album.  Same with Elbow.  It's good for what it is, but there is almost no sonic differences between them, so they sound samey and all bleed into one.

As much as I love mayo, and I do love me some mayo, I have to have it fairly hidden away since handling mayo by itself makes me nauseous.  So, I can't really do mayo on fries unless it's augmented by curry or made into a remoulade.  But, glop it on a BLT and I'm happy.  I also think that certain dishes lend themselves better to mayo and others are better suited for Miracle Whip.  Chicken salad is 100% Miracle Whip, but potato salad is mayo all the way. 

Ketchup is embryonic BBQ sauce.  There is nothing that ketchup can do that a tomato based BBQ sauce can't do a million times better. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 07:39:25 AM by foolsgold »
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2019, 11:21:12 AM »

ketchup or catsup should be banished. it's only for people who like to taste red sugar paste instead of the flavor of the meal.

In high school I took an Anatomy and Physiology class, and the teacher had us dissect a number of different animals over the course of the year (I remember and rat and a frog, but I know there were more). This teacher also taught biology classes. 

One day he told us a story that basically went: years prior, he noticed that he loved ketchup. It was so good. He was putting ketchup on everything. EVERYTHING. It became that ketchup made all of his food taste better. Then he thought about it some more... and realized that the years and years and years of teaching and having all that formaldehyde nearby had dulled and eventually killed his taste buds. Ketchup was the last flavor to go.

Sad story, but if that's a real thing (unverified)...then I cannot hate anyone who can only taste ketchup anymore.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2019, 11:27:36 AM »

You are a good man, ZK, just as I always knew.

Just for the record: 60 percent of people from Belgium speak Dutch--some call it Flemish--(as I did growing up), not French. But it's all good.

More mayonnaise for everyone!

Yeah, I know.  I was gonna try to see if I could google translate something into Dutch/Flemish, but that seems impossible.  I thought it wouldn’t be too bad since it is closer to English than the Romance languages, but I was dead wrong.  I had to abandon following Lokeren because I could not make heads or tails out of anything written about them.  So half-ass Walloon was the best I could do.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:41:02 AM by Zafer Kaya »

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2019, 01:21:31 PM »

Not defending it, but that was instituted after 9/11 when there was this huge swell of national pride. Everyone was really with it at the time (seemingly). Problem is that if you try to take it away it looks like you hate your country.

Actually, it started in WWII.

Correction, WWI

https://www.history.com/news/why-the-star-spangled-banner-is-played-at-sporting-events

Thanks! I was referencing the "America the Beautiful" element of the 7th inning stretch, but this is nice too.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2019, 01:26:39 PM »

ketchup or catsup should be banished.
You are correct, sir, albeit for the wrong reason.

It's because there isn't a single meal in the world that cannot be improved when you add MORE MAYONNAISE.

You literally cannot think of a single dish that doesn't go with mayonnaise. And the more, the better.

Can't go all in on mayonnaise like you but it does work well with some foods you wouldn't think it would.  When I was growing up, a kid in my neighborhood was eating a peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich.  No one else I knew ever ate such a concoction.  I thought he was fucking crazy until I tried it myself and found it wasn't bad at all.  I still have one occasionally.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2019, 02:42:37 PM »

I want everyone to list the objectively worst song in their streaming or personal catalog that they enjoy:

I think I have mentioned I am a sucker for dance/bass songs.

So HARLEM SHAKE just came on in the shuffle.  Probably that or MACARENA.  C-Fan groans every time MACARENA comes on, then stares at me in disbelief.  To be fair, it's not like it's often.

What I'm saying is, make me feel better.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2019, 03:19:18 PM »

Easily, it's Poing by the legendary Rotterdam Termination Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ6jZgMaZk4
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up