Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Share an Unpopular Opinion  (Read 5551 times)

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
Re: Share an Unpopular Opinion
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2019, 02:52:12 PM »

I hope Tom Brady wins the Super Bowl.  Yes, he's a cheating, joyless, skillwise average QB who is probably/definitely a horrible human being in the real world, but dammit if I don't thoroughly enjoy watching him play.  He's the QB I wish the Bengals had or, at least, has the temperment of a QB I wish the Bengals had.  He's one of the very few athletes I've seen who gets pissed off and then proceeds to demoralize and beat his opponent.  It's weird that I find nearly everything about the man awful, except for his ability to win.  Besides, fuck the Rams.  They shouldn't be there anyway.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2019, 02:57:25 PM »

I actually like Tom Brady okay.  He's not my favorite or anywhere close, but I don't dislike him either.

I feel about Belichick the way you feel about Brady.  He seems like he doesn't even enjoy coaching.  And yeah, he cheats likea madman.  Plus he's a Trump supporter.  But he is an incredible coach.  Except I don't hope Belichick wins the superbowl.  I hope he loses 548-3.  I just have to grudgingly admire his coaching skills.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2019, 03:57:25 PM »

I hope Tom Brady wins the Super Bowl.  Yes, he's a cheating, joyless, skillwise average QB who is probably/definitely a horrible human being in the real world, but dammit if I don't thoroughly enjoy watching him play.  He's the QB I wish the Bengals had or, at least, has the temperment of a QB I wish the Bengals had.  He's one of the very few athletes I've seen who gets pissed off and then proceeds to demoralize and beat his opponent.  It's weird that I find nearly everything about the man awful, except for his ability to win.  Besides, fuck the Rams.  They shouldn't be there anyway.

what's awful about brady? 
poach eggs, not elephants

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2019, 12:25:08 AM »

agreed. I will be rooting for the Pats and Tom Brady, the GOAT for sure.

It reminds me of a long-ago conversation I had with my son when we were watching Micheal Jordan in the NBA playoffs, 20 years ago or even more? He told me "I wish Micheal Jordan would retire already!" (as he was rooting for the Pacers, yet again beaten) and I told him, "Enjoy him while you can, he's the GOAT". Many years later, my son came around about that.

Look, you may or may not like the Pats, I certainly don't have any affinity for them as such. But you cannot dismiss the level of excellency they have achieved. The Bengals could only hope for that. And Tom Brady is surely the GOAT in the NFL.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2019, 01:42:39 AM »

Yeah see, thatís why everyone hates Tom Brady.

Iíd argue he isnít even the best QB of his generation.  Or the second best.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2019, 08:14:22 AM »

big ben or brees? 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2019, 01:55:22 PM »

Yeah, I would say Brees has edge.

To be fair, I think a decent case could be made for any of Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Brady, or yeah, even Roethlisberger although IMO he is a notch below.  I could possibly even entertain an argument for Romo in that group although not as #1.

Brady is an easy HoFer.  He's undeniably great.  I have no problem with him in the debate as GOAT.  He deserves strong consideration.  It's just that to gauge number of people there is no debate.  He's just clearly the best, like forget Brees and those guys, forget Montana or Marino.  It's just Brady.  And those people won't give you legit stats
Or reasoning.

There are fans that are sort of fairweather in the sense they don't follow bad players or bad teams.   They are mostly interested in seeing the game played at its highest level.  Which is  where euro60 seems to be coming from.  I think he's over the top in his assessment, but he is appreciating the skills a d artistry of a great player.

Then there are the dickhead fans who only follow good teams and players because they feel like the world is divided into winners and losers.  And they want desperately to be winners and they feel like following a winner is evidence if their own winnernessin a game re organize game sort of way.  These are the guys who think every game us won by who wants it more and the team that wants it less nost is chokes and losers.  Brady is the posreboy for those fans.  Which is not Brady's fault.  But it makes him an easy guy to hate.

Personally, I like Yom Brady because I get legit joy from hating him.  I respect that.

My favorite Tom Brady story is that Jeannie Buss plays fantasy football and she refuses to draft Tom Brady on any of her teams just because she hates him as a fan.  Like, if anyone could appreciate athletes and separate personality and legit dickishness from fan sentiment, it would be her.  I'd also argue she is the Tom Brafy of owners in a lot of ways.  And she hates Tom Brady.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2019, 03:33:42 PM »

i always forget about aaron rodgers.  what's up with the pack having legendary qb's with barely any return?  as much as i hate the steelers, i've always had a soft spot for ben.  he's a marvel of a qb.  a game manager with elite talent.  to tackle him is akin to tackling the statue that one day will grace the presumable square in flag city usa

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2019, 11:28:49 PM »

Yeah, I would say Brees has edge.

Over Tom Brady? In what universe are you living? I mean, Brees is great, but c'mom. Just looking at the Pats record in the last 19 years tell you all you need to know. And what would the Pats be without Brady? ..... Exactly.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2019, 10:33:49 AM »

Where would the Saints be without Brees?  Or the Packers without Rodgers?  Or the Seahawks without Russell? 

All those teams would be awful without their QB.  The Patriots with an average QB would of course also be much worse.  But they'd probably not be awful, especially considering they play in what is fairly consistently the shittiest division in the NFL.  I mean, come on.  Dolphins, Jets, Bills.  Those teams don't even try.

Brees has more yards, Brady has more TDs. That is what you'd expect from a good QB on a bad team vs a good QB on competent team.  Brees has more completions, more yards, but also more INTs.  Which is again what you,d expect from a QB who has to throw a lot and take chances.

My feeling is that if Brees were on the Pats and Brady on the Saints, nothing much would change.  Both QBs would still be awesome, but their stats (including championships) would be reversed. 

Also, both QBs play in an era where they get massive protection in the rules, plus it's pass interference if a DB so much as glances a receiver.  So you can't really compare them to players like Montana easily.  It's much easier for QB's to be awesome these days.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2019, 02:25:10 PM »

i just looked up their stats.  drew's got 5,000 yards on tom and like twenty touchdowns.  of course, tom still has a game left to play

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2019, 02:27:42 PM »

i mean three more touchdowns

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2019, 09:49:11 PM »

I want everyone to list the objectively worst song in their streaming or personal catalog that they enjoy:

I think I have mentioned I am a sucker for dance/bass songs.

So HARLEM SHAKE just came on in the shuffle.  Probably that or MACARENA.  C-Fan groans every time MACARENA comes on, then stares at me in disbelief.  To be fair, it's not like it's often.

What I'm saying is, make me feel better.

Okay.  Do I spent some time yesterday thinking about this. 

I had some trouble with ďobjectively worstĒ because I donít know how to parse that.  I like a shit ton of power pop like songs that are all just 3-4 of the same Beatles jangly chords.  Or like Breeders.  Their songs are just childishly bad from a theoretical standpoint, but that is what gives them their charm.

So, I went with songs that for whatever reason, I think are bad.  Like, they just make me cringe and feel embarrassed.  Regardless of their reputation or what others think about them. Just me personally, have an immediate emotional reaction to the song like man this sucks.

Okay, then I did this on the other side as far as what I liked.  It had to be a song that I legit love, regardless of objective critical analysis or reputation.  The song has to hit me right in the feels.  So hard that I am embarrassed I like ANY song this much on top of the fact that I also think the song sucks. 

So itís like an emotional roller coaster with all of these feelings roiling inside me every time I hear the song.

So I went through my old database of albums I use to have and my old Rdio Catalog and Spotify library and came up with about 25 songs.

These songs had two strong themes. The first is, they all came out or I first heard them when I was young. That makes sense to me because when you are younger you are not as hung up on what is cool or aware of the cultural contexts.  So thereís a selection bias in that songs were the ones where I was more easily able to confirm my true feelings about the song.

The second thing is, they are almost all ballad-y, Pseudo-soul slow jams.  They all have a bit of soul, a bit of jazz/sophistication, but ultimately are very boring and well, white.  Somewhere between AM soft rock and quiet storm soul.  Itís like this brew of contradictions.  ďI am a manís man, but also I am really sensitive.Ē ďI want you to know I have insane musical chops, but also Iím also a songwriter for the common man.Ē  Just trying to pull off the impossible while also pandering grossly to the lowest pop common denominator.

I got to thinking, why isnít Prince like this?  First, legit talent, but also, I think because he was keenly aware of these contradictions.  When he was pop, he was pop.  When he was funk, he was funk.  He mixed genres but not all of them at once in the same song.  And also Prince purposely played a larger than life character.  He was like a comic book guy who embraced the fantasy and escapism, including the humor.  He did not take himself that seriously, it not being real was part of the fun.  I think he was fully aware that assless chaps were stupid on some level.  Then later on, when he tried to embrace hip-hop and other things he did actually lose his way.

The next level below this is like maybe Terrance Trent DíArby or perhaps Lenny Kravitz.  These guys also cultivated larger-than-life personas knowing they were on some level playing characters.  But they werenít able to properly separate their egos and real personalities from the rock star persona.  They took themselves too seriously at times.  Other times they went the other way and were just all show.  They had the goods, they jus didnít have the ability to edit themselves. 

Then the basement level is the artist who seemingly really took themselves seriously as super heroes.  While also probably having the least amount of skills.  But every once in a while they kinda got it right.  And to the extent they missed painfully, it still gets me in the feels because I relate to the cringe-y embarrassment of spectacular failure.  It makes me relate strongly to the song in a way that probably was not intended.

This explains I think why I at once hate smooth jazz yet also seem to have some natural affinity for it.  I relate to those dudes, but the thing I relate to also represents the part of me I dislike and find embarrassing.

Anyway, in the end one song stood out above the rest. Itís Try Again by Champaign.

Here is a YouTube link:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkb-YtIGFHU because I feel it is important for you to appreciate each member of this multi-ethnic band.  They all look EXACTLY and clownishly like what you would expect, while at the same time looking absolutely nothing like each other.  The Lionel Ritchie alike singer with his lusciously activated curls.  The nerdiest drummer in the world behind an electronic set with leather pants and zipper undone to expose his hairless scrawny chest, the sensitively bearded guitar player with jazz pretensions and someone is playing a Steinberger because OF COURSE he plays a Steinberger. 

Feel the impossibility of trying to dance to this song and how it confuses even the vaunted Soul Train dancers.  I this a slow couples dance?  No, wait Iím a chick and think I need to do the solo sensuous twirling arms slow jam thing.  No wait, Iím a dude and I need to figure out how to rock out solemnly, or maybe funk out slowly?

I have been moved to tears by this song, for real.  Without knowing whether they are tears of raw beauty, rage, happiness, shame, or laughter.  Probably a bit of all of that.  I want this song to be played at my funeral.  Live.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:52:50 PM by Zafer Kaya »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2019, 11:28:36 PM »

Ooh.. I forgot that I rediscovered this on my journey:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm_QilrHkh8

That is a tight band.  TWO singers. TWO electronic percussionists.  TWO keyboard players.  One with the keytar and the other rocking the 90 degree dual Quiklok double tiers.

I remember this video vividly because I was and am secretly in love with the keyboard player. I have no idea why. The part where she plays two keyboards at once (and of course itís one from each angle and one from each tier for maximum visual impact and plus the one keyboard is placed at a stupid height for no reason just so they can angle it down and look cooler) while singing harmony, then still hits the keyboard splash right on time before breaking into her perfectly synced dance move is sublime.  I think the lead singer in green was 12 years old at the time.

I mean, itís a video so I doubt they were doing that live but still I remember thinking begrudgingly at the time that those guys were actually pretty good despair their annoying sugar pop wholesome songs.  Later, they did move into adult contemporary Quiet Storm territory with Youíve Got It Over Him and then into CCM.  And dude started playing a Steinberger BECAUSE OF COURSE HE PAYS A STEINBERGER.

Anyway, I hate this song but it still makes me dance.  I suppose that makes it a guilty pleasure but it wouldnít make my list of worst songs I love.  Because it isnít really super terrible and I donít really love it.  Itís just kind of a run-of-the-mill guilty pleasure, rather unremarkable except for me having a crush on the keyboard player.

Also, while Iím at it... I will admit I had a brief secret crush on Debbie Gibson. Everything from Electric Youth was crap and I hated her.  But then Lost in Your Eyes Came Out and it made me sigh and hug my pillow.  I mean, tbf she was pretty talented.  Wrote all her own stuff, then did Broadway.  Scored a soundtrack.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2019, 09:00:24 AM »

I want everyone to list the objectively worst song in their streaming or personal catalog that they enjoy:

I think I have mentioned I am a sucker for dance/bass songs.

So HARLEM SHAKE just came on in the shuffle.  Probably that or MACARENA.  C-Fan groans every time MACARENA comes on, then stares at me in disbelief.  To be fair, it's not like it's often.

What I'm saying is, make me feel better.

Okay.  Do I spent some time yesterday thinking about this. 

Anyway, in the end one song stood out above the rest. Itís Try Again by Champaign.

I thought that song had been successfully purged from my memory banks. And it had. Until I clicked on that link.

DAMN YOU RVA.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up