Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Share an Unpopular Opinion  (Read 2941 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Share an Unpopular Opinion
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2019, 10:20:38 AM »

That was a strange period in US pop history right after disco.  Like right around '80-'81. Everything on the radio was so smoothed out, and adult contemporary.  It was also kind of an oddly chaste/clean era.  I'm too young to really remember the AM/Yacht rock 70's but I find it hard to fathom that there was a wimpier era in pop music than '80-'81. 

It spanned every genre.  The Commodores went from crazy funk into Lionel Ritchie doing Endless Love with Diana Ross. In "rock," you had REO Speed Wagon, Styx and Journey churning out ballads left and right.  Marty Balin from Jefferson Airplane singing "Hearts."  Fucking Christopher Cross was everywhere.  Even John Lennon fell prey, because the hits on Double Fantasy were all kind of smoothed out and tame.  Anne Murray.  Cliff Richard.  Juice Newton.  Cliff Richard.  Little River Band.  Even jazz.  It was all going R&B smooth jazz or New Age.  My sister to this very day refuses to believe that George Benson is a legitimate jazz legend because all she knows about him is "Gimme the Night."

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2019, 10:39:48 AM »

I'd say it went beyond '81.  It's funny you should bring this up because I happened to hear I.G.Y. by Donald Fagen for the first time in probably 20 years yesterday and holy crap is that a smooth-jamz snooze-fest.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2019, 01:20:20 PM »

Yeah, it definitely persisted beyond that but I feel like somewhere around '80/'81 was the peak.

After that you started to get some new wave influence with say, Police.  And then like Cyndi Lauper, Huey Lewis, Madonna, Gogo's that dominated the pop scene for a bit, and then hair metal and the mall stars in the mid-80's.  Springsteen in '84 with Born to Run.  U2 in '87 with Joshua Tree.  The early rise of hip hop.  Punk.

Adult contemporary/smooth/very produced-type stuff was still a pretty significant presence on the chart all through the 80's both as a sort of semi-genre in and of itself as well as influencing other genres.  But I feel like those two first years of the 80's they just absolutely dominated the scene.  It was like the disco hangover.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2019, 10:28:12 PM »

i really think radiohead's electronic phase sucks. i don't get why hail to the thief and beyond is heralded as great.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2019, 06:53:29 AM »

You don't count Amnesiac or Kid A as part of their "electronic phase"?

If anything The Bends is the outlier.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2019, 10:37:31 AM »

I've been a vocal proponent of the "Radiohead is vastly overrated after OK Computer" position for years.

I can carve out an exception for Kid A and Amnesiac, which are pretty similar.  I'm not a huge fan of either of them, but they were bold as shit records to put out at that time period. Especially for a band like Radiohead that was coming off the huge success of OK Computer.  I find both those albums "difficult" to listen to.  It's too much work for me personally, but they are rewarding if you put the time in. 

Everything after those records is mostly boring, and to me actually rather safe.  They just sound like repeat watered down Kid A, and not only have Radiohead already done that sound but unfortunately electronic stuff in general started getting big and other acts ripped off their sound.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2019, 03:26:22 PM »

Other than a few individual tracks from The Bends and Ok Computer, I generally just don't want to listen to any Radiohead. I tried and tried to love them the way everyone seems to, but they never really stuck with me.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2019, 04:35:17 PM »

I suspect that appreciation of post-Ok Computer Radiohead is highly correlated with headphone listening and/or the degree to which you engage in similar immersive listening.  Maybe if you're taking a long drive or something.

I almost never just put on an album and just sit and listen to that album.  I mean, sometimes I will listen to an album and it's *mostly* what I'm doing but I'm still probably idly dorking around on the internet to some degree or my mind is wandering.

That's my thing with Radiohead.  It's not that I find it so unpleasurable to listen to, it's that it's just so easy for me to drift off into doing something else.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up