Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend Three Albums  (Read 1150 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Recommend Three Albums
« on: January 16, 2019, 03:19:40 PM »

My niece turned 13 this month, and for Christmas she asked for a record player. Yes, that's right. Not a typo. A classic record player. I think it's because she has loved the band 21 Pilots for years and maybe her friends or 21 Pilots have been talking about the vinyl pressings of their albums. So yeah, she wanted a record player and then I'm pretty sure she got a 21 Pilots vinyl too. Or many 21 Pilots vinyls.
Side note: her dad put on Prince and she didn't like it, but I think that's because her dad has been pushing Prince on her for her whole life so it might not really be about the music.

I was fascinated by this and asked her if she would be interested in more vinyls of "old person music" (meaning, me). Surprisingly, she said yes. So then I sat there thinking about what three albums I should buy for her. I was thinking about her sitting in her room working on her homework for hours at a time and just popping on an album and letting it play, eventually having these albums ingrained into her musical knowledge. So it's a loaded question with a lot of potential and lot of repercussions.

The question for you, dear music lovers, is if you were given such an opportunity, what would you purchase for her?

Only three albums allowed I dont think its worth spending more money than that until we know if shes really into music or not. Or older music. Etc.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: Recommend Three Albums
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 03:23:18 PM »

For what it's worth, I went with

DJ Shadow - ...Endtroducing from 1996
The Postal Service - Give Up from 2004
Public Service Broadcasting - Inform-Educate-Entertain from 2013

DJ Shadow: there's never really been anything else like it. Formative and brilliant.
Postal Service: Someone recommended Death Cab for Cutie to her, and I just couldn't handle purchasing a Death Cab album. So I went with this, which seemed to be better in every regard.
Public Service Broadcasting: Beautiful and interesting and a bit more accessible than DJ Shadow.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 03:36:18 PM »

where does your niece live?

New Order--Substance
U2--Unforgettable Fire
Depeche Mode--Violator
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 03:40:11 PM »

London Calling
Merriweather Post Pavilion
Stop Making Sense

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 04:19:17 PM »

Highway 61 Revisited
It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Dark Side of the Moon

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 05:23:35 PM »

the Beatles - Meet The Beatles
Carole King - Tapestry
Muse - Black Holes and Revalations

The Beatles because everyone should listen to it at least once. Carole king because it's a fantastic album from start to finish and hey, she's 13. muse for sorta the same reason but not nearly as good. Still, it rocks.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 05:25:28 PM by Paco »

virgil p colon

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 09:34:03 AM »

The Clash - London Calling
Meat Puppets - Too High To Die
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 02:34:48 PM »

oh man i want a cool niece.   

ryan adams- heartbreaker
sigur ros- takk
robyn- body talk 
poach eggs, not elephants

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 02:39:46 PM »

This is fantastic. And now I want everyone to judge everyone else's picks!

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 03:09:28 PM »

i'm too contemporary
poach eggs, not elephants

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 03:20:06 PM »

I have been thinking about this. I find it a nigh impossible task to trim down a lifetime's worth of essential albums into just three. I could make that list, and then think 15 min. later "what are you doing? you can't leave out ____________________ (take your pick)!!!!!"

I often find myself going through phases, where I play a certain album or albums of a certain artist/band over and over and over again. I've been listening to Genesis' "A Trick of the Tail", literally, every night for the past several weeks. Before that it was a bunch of Chuck Van Zyl albums. That probably kept me occupied for a month or two. (If you love Berlin-school electronic music a la classic Tangerine Dream, Redshift, etc., buy whatever Van Zyl album you can get your hands on!!)
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 03:24:24 PM »

oh man i want a cool niece.   

sigur ros- takk

you want a cool niece, but you're apt to get a depressed niece instead. Anything Sigur Ros makes me so sad, I can no longer listen to it. Not that it's not great music, it is! It's just that it makes me regret how insignificant everything feels. Not exactly a cheery mood. You can takk me later!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 03:34:25 PM »

Carole king because it's a fantastic album from start to finish and hey, she's 13.

What?  She was 29 (album released in 71, she was born in 42) and had been writing hits for at least 10 years.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 03:43:19 PM »

Carole king because it's a fantastic album from start to finish and hey, she's 13.

What?  She was 29 (album released in 71, she was born in 42) and had been writing hits for at least 10 years.

The niece is 13, not Carole King.  I read it that way the first time, too.

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 03:49:15 PM »

The niece is 13, not Carole King.  I read it that way the first time, too.

yeah, poorly worded. It sounded right in my head but then again, lots of things do.
so what i meant was that the niece is 13, full of angst and raging emotions. I thought the songs may strike a chord, so to speak.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:52:13 PM by Paco »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up