Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend Three Albums  (Read 1167 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: Recommend Three Albums
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 03:53:16 PM »

Oh!  Well, I added to the confusion because I didn't read the setup to the thread.  Carry on!
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 09:34:35 PM »

Dark Side of the Moon
Marquee Moon
Songs in the Key of Life
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 11:29:31 PM »

Years ago, probably 14-15 years ago, I once posted my "25 all time favorite albums" on Amazon (and it hasn't been updated since)

https://www.amazon.com/ideas/amzn1.account.AHZ47E5AF3CBVGMWW6HCFQND27GQ/2L4X7V90CU1PD

What was I thinking? I haven't a clue

I'm looking at that list and wonder what I could recommend the mystical 13 yr. old niece.

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 11:24:12 AM »

That list is ROUGH!
I'm sure it made sense at the time though.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 12:04:39 PM »

I feel like itís an honest list.

I think 99% of Best Albums lists are just cribbed from other lists.  Even if you arenít doing it on purpose, youíre biased because everyone has TOLD you that album is great and youíve listened to it for that reason, and youíve listened to it specifically for the elements that make it greató which may not be as unique as you think.

I think the reality is that if we shut out the cultural noise and had to pick all on our own our 25 favorite albums, weíd all have bizarre lists and they would change drastically all the time.

DSOTM is the only classic album for me where I was not fully aware of its stature upon first listening, was blown away on first listen, it has never failed to be one of my favorites, and Iím just like ďHow could anyone not like this?Ē

Everything else is something I like, but could see how others wouldnít and honestly donít get why EVERYONE likes it.  Or something I have to agree is great based on historical context.  Like Beatles.  I mean yeah, that is some great songwriting but mostly, itís that they did it first.  If I made a list of favorite pop/power pop songs, Idonít think a single Beatles song would make the top 50.

Itís like what I always say about Phishheads and Deadheads.  Of course Phish or the Dead are the greatest bands youíve ever heard when they are the only band you listen to.

I feel like the odds are staggeringly high that there is an album or at least artist out there that would blow away anything I have heard except I just donít know it.  Itís probably outthere onYoutube somewhere with 250 likes.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 02:09:50 PM »

Full disclosure, when I made my list, I went and looked up a couple of Best Albums of All Time lists, and realized how many I have never heard.  Probably plowed through 25 of these puppies since Wednesday.

The Beatles are The Beatles... my mom was a huge fan and I grew up with them, so I really didn't feel the need to re-listen to many of those that popped up, but I did put on SGT PEPPER'S and --surprise-- really liked it.

PET SOUNDS was pretty good, better than I expected.

The Bob Dylan one that ZK recommended... I got through about 3 songs and decided that Dylan is not my cup of tea.  So I also skipped BLONDE ON BLONDE and BLOOD ON THE TRACKS.  No need to torture myself, I'm just not going to get it.

Marvin Gaye WHAT'S GOING ON - Wow, this was great.  Gets a little out there the later in the album you get, but it's almost like a mixtape album, each song flowing straight into the next.

Rolling Stones - EXILE ON MAIN STREET - I see why I have never heard the songs aside from the radio hits... I didn't realize how blues heavy their album tracks were, at least on this album.  Much prefer The Beatles.

VELVET UNDERGROUND AND NICO - Nice.

Michael Jackson - THRILLER - I didn't even realize Wanna Be Startin' Something was the leadoff track.  I thought this was from an earlier album of his.  What a great album.

The Who - WHO'S NEXT - Really good, maybe not quite great to me, but really good.

David Bowie - HUNKY DORY - Enjoyed it, but Bowie's album stuff that I had heard has always been underwhelming to me.

You can go ahead and revoke my music-lover's card now or whatever.  Just realized how many artists I really only have knowledge of through singles and thought it would be fun to fire up some classic albums via Spotify since my lengthy song list is getting a little tired to me.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 01:30:22 PM »

the Beatles - Meet The Beatles

I grew up on The Beatles and would consider myself a little obsessive (I owned a copy of Walking in the Park with Eloise by The Country Hams at one point... ex wife stole it and probably got way less than it's worth out of it).  And I have only listened to this album once in my entire life.  Maybe the least representative album of a band's career in history.  Rubber Soul or Revolver would be far more representative if you want to introduce someone to The Beatles.  Set. Pepper is great too, of course.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 01:35:08 PM »

Actually,  I'm referring to Please, Please Me.  I don't even really recognize the US albums anymore since the UK albums have been ubiquitous worldwide since their catalog was first released on CD in 86 or 87.  I have an original copy of Meet The Beatles that belonged to my dad and I don't think I've ever listened to it.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 06:01:05 PM »

The Police - Synchronicity
Peter Gabriel - So
Duran Duran - Rio

These are in my top 5 all time played. And I still listen to them in their entirety, not just random songs. I also listened to them when I was 13, although the Peter Gabriel was more frequent a couple years later. They were cassettes my parents would tolerate listening to on road trips, as well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 06:04:21 PM by Ella Minnow Pea »
also known as rcc94

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 12:05:37 AM »

there are so many

but today i'd pick...

nick cave- henry's dream
kate bush- hounds of love/ninth wave
radiohead- in rainbows
bongo hard or bongo home

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 10:30:43 PM »

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 10:38:07 PM »

if twentyshots is allowed a doover i am as well

wyclef- carnival
outkast- aquemini
peter tosh- equal rights
poach eggs, not elephants

twentyshots

• City Elder