Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: English Premier League and other European football 2019/20  (Read 3062 times)

euro60

• City Elder
English Premier League and other European football 2019/20
« on: August 19, 2019, 11:20:53 PM »

Since nobody has opened the debate, I guess I will?

This past weekend's ManCity-Tottenham's game was insane beyond belief. So much attacking! Relentless from ManCity from the get-go. Despite getting outshot 28-3 or some crazy number like that, Tottenham managed a 2-2 draw.

Of course there was the controversial VAR call in 90+2 minutes when ManCity scored. Seems like the correct call, but man...

Watched some other EPL games over these first two weekends. So much fun. I don't care what anyone says, but EPL is the best league, period.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
Re: English Premier League and other European football 2019/20
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 11:30:50 AM »

Has anyone noticed that, with Pulisic's transfer to Chelsea, NBCSN/NBC stupidly and automatically televises the Chelsea game each week, hoping to cash in on the American TV viewer's interest in watching Pulisic.

Only a couple of problems with that: (1) Pulisic isn't getting much playing time AT ALL, and (2) Chelsea sucks balls following Hazard's departure over the summer. Result: pointless televised Chelsea games.

Case in point: this weekend NBCSN will show Southampton-Chelsea. With all due respect to all Southampton fans, but I have zero interest in seeing that. At the same time is ManCity-Wolves. I'd love to see that game, for a number of reasons, and I think many other "neutral" fans would too.

Good job, NBC! 
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 12:27:45 PM »

If only there were some way you could watch any Premier League Game you wanted to, live or on demand instead of only getting to see what's on broadcast cable.  If only.

But anyway.  Manchester City v Wolves IS on NBCSN.  Southampton-Chelsea is on Sports Gold.  So it's the Southampton fans who should feel screwed, not the "neutrals." 

And yet.... I feel strangely sanguine about it.  Almost as if I actually did have some way to watch the match live despite it not being carried on cable.  I might even go crazy and watch Watford vs Sheffield on Saturday.  JUST BECAUSE I CAN.  The only people who care about Watford v Sheffield United are Elton John and Iron Maiden.  Maybe I'll listen to them while the game is on.... WITHOUT A CD PLAYER!!!!  IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 02:08:09 PM »

Not according to this, which says Southampton-Chelsea on NBCSN this Sunday morning:

https://www.nbcsports.com/tv-listings/full

And I get what you are saying (about streaming any game you want), but that's not my world obviously.

Totally unrelated to anything: when I was in the UK late August/early September, I did the ManCity Etihad stadium tour. Not particularly cheap (25 GBP) but oh so worth every cent of it, as it turned out. I'll just say it right now: I was BLOWN AWAY. I had originally sorta planned to also to the ManUnited stadium tour the very next day, but after doing the Etihad tour, I thought "What's the point of that? There is zero chance that it will be better than the Etihad tour", so I ended up skipping Old Trafford.

I know the comparison is not apples to apples, but couldn't help compare the Etihad toour to the Reds stadium tour and the Bengals PBS tour, which I've both done some years ago, and the Etihad tour puts those tours frankly to shame.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 03:08:21 PM »

It does sound like you could use a Roku, Euro.  It really is as easy as plugging into an HDMI port on your TV and registering for whatever the channels/networks/platforms carry the programs you want to watch.  Once you register and pay, the interface looks very similar to a smartphone where you select whichever app you want to use at that time.  That part is all handled on a remote.  The learning curve on it is minuscule and it is intuitive.  Plus, they're super affordable.  The basic Roku Express is $30 and the Premiere is $40.  They do have higher end models, but for your every day viewing, either of those are all you would need.  The other benefit is that you would be able to watch programs on your laptop wherever you travel.  Or, since a Roku can literally fit in your pocket, you could always bring that along to plug into the TV in your hotel room.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 03:11:09 PM by foolsgold »
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 03:47:00 PM »

It does sound like you could use a Roku, Euro.  It really is as easy as plugging into an HDMI port on your TV and registering for whatever the channels/networks/platforms carry the programs you want to watch.  Once you register and pay, the interface looks very similar to a smartphone where you select whichever app you want to use at that time.  That part is all handled on a remote.  The learning curve on it is minuscule and it is intuitive.  Plus, they're super affordable.  The basic Roku Express is $30 and the Premiere is $40.  They do have higher end models, but for your every day viewing, either of those are all you would need.  The other benefit is that you would be able to watch programs on your laptop wherever you travel.  Or, since a Roku can literally fit in your pocket, you could always bring that along to plug into the TV in your hotel room.

Thanks Foolsgold. I'll take it up with my son when I see him next time. I'd love to do this, but there is zero chance I can figure this out on my own, I'm just being realistic/honest. And I really like the idea that it is easily portable for on the road...

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 04:15:04 PM »

Not according to this, which says Southampton-Chelsea on NBCSN this Sunday morning:

https://www.nbcsports.com/tv-listings/full

And I get what you are saying (about streaming any game you want), but that's not my world obviously.

Hmm.. maybe they switched it.  Because when I was looking at my schedule on Roku they definitely had Man City on NBCSN and Saints on Gold. 

I was having a little fun before but for real, man-- this kinda thing is just going to happen to you more and more.  It's not so much that streaming is the be-all end-all (it's getting depressingly like cable used to be, in all honesty).  Its more that cable is slowly dying so you can just expect it to get worse and worse and continually lose channels and content.

I think that fubo.tv (which is essentially a "one-stop" streaming service that has all/most of your standard, basic cable channels plus a super-deluxe sports package) even has Jupiler League, if that gives you any extra incentive.  That's $50 a month, I think.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 11:04:42 AM »

The Southampton game was on Gold.  NBC's stream kept crapping out on me, which was really a blessing.  I ended up only having to watch approximately 60 minutes of absolute shit.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 07:53:08 PM »

The Southampton game was on Gold.  NBC's stream kept crapping out on me, which was really a blessing.  I ended up only having to watch approximately 60 minutes of absolute shit.
You lucky fucker. I had to watch it all.
Ralph did his best Mark Hughes impersonation today, both in team selection and motivation. Fucking awful.

Favourite part of the weekends games? Seeing Prince George getting all royally excited at witnessing his Daddy’s Aston Villa spank Norwich, which THEN led to the Norwich fans chanting “Where were you when you were shit” at him. I swear footie humour is THE best humour.
Opulence. I has it.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 08:32:46 AM »

I swear footie humour is THE best humour.

Worth repeating. THE BEST.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 10:16:32 AM »

I ended up seeing ManCity-Wolves on one of the Spanish language channels. What a game that was! Relentless attacking by ManCity, which then got slaughtered in the counterattacks TWICE in the last 15 min, losing 0-2.

It feels like the title race is already pretty much over. Liverpool up 8 points, and looking very confident. Does anyone really feel like they are going to relinquish that? I don't see that happening.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 11:53:41 AM »

I ended up seeing ManCity-Wolves on one of the Spanish language channels. What a game that was! Relentless attacking by ManCity, which then got slaughtered in the counterattacks TWICE in the last 15 min, losing 0-2.

It feels like the title race is already pretty much over. Liverpool up 8 points, and looking very confident. Does anyone really feel like they are going to relinquish that? I don't see that happening.

There is still plenty of time for LFC to draw a ton of games and drop a match to MCFC, like they did at the top of the New Year to destroy a clear 7 point lead in the standings.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 01:19:09 PM »

There is still plenty of time for LFC to draw a ton of games and drop a match to MCFC, like they did at the top of the New Year to destroy a clear 7 point lead in the standings.

I do think that purely on paper, Liverpool is better than City this year but it's close.  It will come down to injuries and whether Klopp and Guardiola can keep their players motivated and happy and things like that. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 01:39:16 PM »

That is true, but this year feels different to me for some reason. Mind you: I am not in the slightest a Liverpool fan, and in fact I am rooting like crazy for ManCity. It just seems to be Liverpool's year. I mean, as improbable ManCity's loss was yesterday, how likely was it for Liverpool to get a penalty awarded in the 94st minute to salvage a win when it looked like it was going to end in a tie? That's a 5 point swing right there in a matter of minutes.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 03:22:39 PM »

To add confusion, I sat down to watch SFC-Chelsea on NBCSN because my cable guide said that's what game was showing. But nope! It was ManCity-Wolves. So yeah, there was something odd going on and it wasn't just us.

Happily, I missed the whole SFC game!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up