Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: English Premier League and other European football 2019/20  (Read 3061 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: English Premier League and other European football 2019/20
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 03:30:37 PM »

I do think that purely on paper, Liverpool is better than City this year but it's close.  It will come down to injuries and whether Klopp and Guardiola can keep their players motivated and happy and things like that.

Been playing with the back-up keeper for the entire season so far. So, that's one injury that has failed to take them down.
Now, to keep Bobby Firmino in bubble wrap for the rest of the season. HE'S THE GLUE.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 08:24:57 AM by c-lando »
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2019, 12:27:16 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

We've had that coming for soooooooo many seasons. Finally it happened.

And we're away to City (twice) next week.

Opulence. I has it.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2019, 02:43:40 PM »

Three points stolen by the refs.  You just knew when it was 8-0 in injury time the ref was going to find a way to give Leicester a PK and stop the comeback.

There were also 5 or 6 goals that were incorrectly ruled as onside as the officials kept ruling Valery as a Southampton "defender."

In the meantime, Liverpool is running away with it.  We could have used VVD and Mane out there.  Even a gimpy legged AOC would have helped us. And by AOC, I mean Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. 

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2019, 01:06:38 PM »

Stolen from Yolly on a mailing list:

"Best comment of the night on the #SFC Facebook page from President of Aussie Saints Trevor Foy. “I thought we were a tad unlucky. On another night that’s 9-9."

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 11:12:25 AM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

We've had that coming for soooooooo many seasons. Finally it happened.

This was truly Bengals-esque. Is it a coincidence that the Bengals were in England when this happened? I didn't see the game, but I don't think so! Are you sure that secretly the Bengals didn't take over the Saints' bodies and minds?

At least they are doing something good in the fall-out from this:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/southampton/story/3975555/southampton-playerscoaches-to-donate-wages-to-charity-after-leicester-humiliation

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 10:42:23 AM »

Does anyone think that Liverpool will not win the PL title? Even though ManCity came back from 7 or 8 points down last season, I can't see them coming back from 9 points down this season. For one, ManCity looks TIRED, both physically and mentally. 
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2019, 02:06:41 PM »

Does anyone think that Southampton will not be relegated?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2019, 03:05:22 PM »

I think it's 50/50.  They actually have a slightly better team than last year, or at worst the same team as last year.  They seem to have lost confidence in Hasenhuttl.  In which case replacing him might solve the problem. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 04:38:55 PM »

Pochettino fired by Tottenham!!!! All he did was win-win-win for 5 years, including getting to the final of the Champions League this year.

Not to mention that Spurs haven't bought or extended a single decent player in several transfer windows (apparently because they needed to save  money to finish the new stadium).

It's insane how short-sighted club ownership is (not just Tottenham).

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2019, 05:01:22 PM »

On the one hand, it's not his fault.  The ownership at Spuds sucks, they don't spend with the top 4 clubs, but they still demand top 4 finishes.

On the other hand, I would have sacked him too.  At some point, everything just gets stale.  How long can people listen to Pochettino try to fire them up when they know they won't finish higher than 4th and they're too good to finish lower than 8th?  Players start to get a little lazy.  They're severely underachieving this year because IMO, there's just nothing to get fired up about.

You know your club is at a dead end and out of ideas when you are thinking about Jose Mourinho. 

Poch will get another job.  Probably a good one.  I'd love to have him back at Southampton but there is no way that would ever happen.  He can do better. 

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2019, 05:10:35 PM »

On the one hand, it's not his fault.  The ownership at Spuds sucks, they don't spend with the top 4 clubs, but they still demand top 4 finishes.

On the other hand, I would have sacked him too.  At some point, everything just gets stale.  How long can people listen to Pochettino try to fire them up when they know they won't finish higher than 4th and they're too good to finish lower than 8th?  Players start to get a little lazy.  They're severely underachieving this year because IMO, there's just nothing to get fired up about.

You know your club is at a dead end and out of ideas when you are thinking about Jose Mourinho. 

Poch will get another job.  Probably a good one.  I'd love to have him back at Southampton but there is no way that would ever happen.  He can do better. 

I agree 100% with everything in this post. And I don't even know the details...  Poch was awesome. Poch is awesome.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2019, 05:15:12 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if he gets the Bayern job. And good for him, if he does.

Spurs ownership is dumber than dumb. And why did they wait 10 days into a 14 days international break period to let him go?!? Put differently, what has changed since Spurs last EPL game that they waited all this time to make the move??
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 05:17:34 PM by euro60 »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2019, 05:37:48 PM »

Not sure I'd want the Bayern job if I were MP.  Obviously the prestige and money (relative to the rest of the league) but otherwise they seem like Tottenham.  A club that needs wholesale changes from the top-down.

Bayern is probably going to hire Mourinho if Tottenham doesn't, so they too are fresh out of ideas.

But yeah, the timing of the move is bad.  I assume there was some hot internal debate as to whether to sack him or not.  It could also be that they were secretly vetting other options and waited until they found their man.  But it's not something that should happen at a well-run club.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2019, 09:15:35 AM »

As one of my friends noted, "Poch to United and Maureen to Spurs and Gollum back to Middle Earth." HAHAHAHAH.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2020, 10:11:48 AM »

Does anyone think that Southampton will not be relegated?

Shows what I know!
A splendid run of form, with 7 points coming against Chelsea, Arsenal, and Tottenham makes me think we will be mid-table at the end of the year.

Clearly there'll be another listless spell at some point but I think we can weather that storm. And the next Premier League game is against Leicester so that'll be *fun* to hear about the 9-nil game over and over again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up