Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: English Premier League and other European football 2019/20  (Read 3516 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: English Premier League and other European football 2019/20
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2020, 10:56:38 AM »

Hasenhuttl went back to what was working last year.  Players are playing in their natural positions, and it's more of a regular 4-4-2 formation.

On the one hand, I feel like it's cool that Hasenhuttl tried something new, and then seemingly kept his cool when it was not working.  Like, he always had this as Plan B.

We're not using the crazy tactics and most of what I think of as "Hasenhuttl players" have been benched.  It's basically the same Southampton as the last 2-3 years plus an awesome Ings.  Which was always good enough to be mid-table.  Not to mention Ralph the genius actually benched Ings for Adams to start the year.

So, it's kinda good that Southampton is playing well.  But I am still a little unsure the club is actually moving forward in any way.  But then, I always figured Adams and Danso are young and this is their first season so they could still come good.  Adams at least looks like he's working hard for the team and doing everything except scoring.  Like a poor man's Shane Long.

I figured we would suck and flirt with relegation most of the first half of the season and then come on in the second half.  But I thought it would be because the new-look team would start to come together.   Not that we'd kind of take a step back and improve by abandoning the new approach.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2020, 03:57:40 PM »

Southampton fans singing "You're just a shit Pochettino" at Mourinho during the Saints/Spurs match yesterday was top drawer.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2020, 01:18:35 PM »

It's not even a 4-2-2-2.  It's just a straight up, old-school, 4-4-2 with modern wingers.  And not even that modern.  Like 2000's modern.  Maybe even 90's.

You can see in how we defend, it's clearly 2 banks of 4, with eight players behind the ball when possible.  We let the opposition attack, but we try to funnel them to the sides.  This is a strategy so basic it was how I was taught to play in late 70's.  IN THE US.

My soccer coach was a divorced mom who only coached because then her kids could play free, and we didn't have enough coaches.  She didn't know anything about soccer except she watched a video, and so we had two drills.  Dribble through the cones, and scrimmages where all she would do was yell "Don't let them run through the middle."

It's an easy formation to play, especially for English players.  Players in a formation they understand, actually playing in their natural positions, and getting to play together consistently.  That's all it is.

They are tackling better, because they are actually in a position to tackle.  You have to get there while the player has the ball, otherwise it's a red card if you can even reach them.  It's very hard to be "nasty" when you are 2 yards behind a player trying to chase them down.

I think basically they are doing better because Hasenhuttl shut up and let them play.  I actually kinda respect Hasenhuttl for this.  His "Man Management" skills have gone way up in my estimation, but his "tactical" coaching has gone way down.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 01:54:22 PM »

ManCity being banned 2 years from European football is likely to have HUGE repercussions for the Premier League too.

Keep in mind that last year's Champions League winner (Liverpool) and runner-up (Tottenham) each earned over 100 million Euros in prize money. So let's assume for argument's sake that ManCity earns say 90 to 100 million Euros from the Champions League each year, that would put their total fine to roughly in the range of 210-230 million Euros.

Almost certainly Pep will depart if the European ban remains (upon appeal). And what top-notch players would want to sign to a top club that is out of European (almost certainly Champions League) football for 2 full years?

The big winner in all of this is of course Liverpool, which seems it is set to rule the Premier League for several years, and build an enormous war chest along the way.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 03:02:32 PM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2020, 03:53:02 PM »

Hey Lando, happy days for you!

I grew up as a kid when Liverpool won everything, Jimmy case, Dalgleish, big Jan molby, John Barnes.

Really mice to see them win the league, great stuff!

As a neutral, they’ve been terrific fun to watch!
Am Meer

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2020, 06:21:20 PM »

Agreed. My first thought was "happy for C-Lando."
Second thought was "hey, happy for all the ex-Saints on that squad."

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2020, 06:14:26 PM »

Hey Lando, happy days for you!

I grew up as a kid when Liverpool won everything, Jimmy case, Dalgleish, big Jan molby, John Barnes.

Really mice to see them win the league, great stuff!

As a neutral, they’ve been terrific fun to watch!

Thank you, Rafe and Dan!
It feels really nice. It was so fun to watch the videos of the squad watching the match together and then celebrating their tits off. Another example of Klopp's brilliance to get them altogether for that experience.

UP THE FUCKING REDS! YNWA.

(Thanks for the assist, Saints. :) )
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2020, 04:10:41 PM »

(Thanks for the assist, Saints. :) )

Thanks for the £2,500,000!!
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2020, 01:24:05 PM »

ManCity had 26 shots in that game, yet couldn't find a way to score. Not to mention that Southampton goalie McCarthy was outstanding. To me, it summed up ManCity's season perfectly: dominating yet way too many inexplicable losses that had me scratching my head "how did they not manage to win this game?".
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2020, 05:35:06 PM »

I saw somewhere that the 25 shots that ManCity had were the same number of shots that Leicester had earlier this year. Leicester put 9 past Southampton, and ManCity put zero past.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #41 on: Yesterday at 11:48:36 AM »

Congrats to Hasenhuttl for winning the Manager of the Month for July. I don't know the history - is this the first July award they've ever given? Maybe he's the sole holder!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up