Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Books in 2020  (Read 1251 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
50 Books in 2020
« on: January 13, 2020, 11:35:45 AM »

1. "The Unhoneymooners" - Christina Lauren
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: 50 Books in 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 12:45:16 PM »

1- the golden apples- eudora welty-  i was about to pick up a faulkner when it occurred to me that it's easy pick up a book written by any white man; there's just so many of them.  so i stuck with the southern thing.  now, i picked this book up at a used bookshop in lawrence, ks (almost scored an atlas shrugged shirt but wife said i could get only one; i eschewed ayn for karamozov)

oh i hated it.  after page thirty two i pined for bill

i knew nothing about her of course.  no, i picked the book up on a whim as you might say.  i thought she was a black woman.  i've never read a book by a black woman.  no she's not black but she's a hundred percent cotton.  that's how she writes; like cotton.  delicate fabric yarns

i was a bit bummed when i opened the book and was short stories.  i don't mind short stories but i was excited about the prospect of a novel from some new southern voice.  this might as well have been a novel though; as connected (am i using a semi colon correctly?  i've been noticing them a lot when i read; and write) as they were.  as you can see, golden apples grew on me.  you intermittently, age with them and she answers questions from previous stories.  neat

i almost quit multiple times   
poach eggs, not elephants

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 09:30:35 AM »

1. Accidental Revolution - Kyle Anderson
Nice deep dive into the Seattle scene pre- and post-grunge explosion, done with humor and an obvious fondness for the subject matter.

2. Dreaming The Beatles - Rob Sheffield

I want to like Sheffield's writing but for some reason it always falls flat for me. Oh well.

3. Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith

I knew nothing about this book going into it and only chose it because I wanted a vacation book and it popped up in a recommendation based on my past reading choices.

It was outstanding. Based on the true story of a serial killer in 1950s USSR, the book follows loyal and unsympathetic secret police agent Leo Demidov's transformation from a by-the-book rule follower to a man hunted by the very agency in which he had served so faithfully for so long. His crime? Daring to call the "tragic accident" of a dead child a "murder." In Stalin's Soviet Union, there is no crime, and if there is no crime, then there cannot be murder - because murder is a crime, and crime only happens in the Western world.

Excellently written and researched, the book is gripping, harrowing and dispiriting, but not without glimmers of hope. After I finished it I learned that it was written in 2008, is the first book in a trilogy about agent Demidov, and that the book has already been made into a film. I probably won't bother watching the film - can't be better than the book - but I'm quite eager to get cracking on the sequel!

A+
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 03:29:15 PM by MissKitty »
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 09:00:43 PM »

1- the golden apples- eudora welty 

2- the good soldier- ford maddox ford-  i was pulled in by the name and asked library to retrieve it for me.  i was less than thrilled when i read the jacket; and i suppose for the first time.  not keen on extramarital hijinx.  i suppose it really wasn't about adultery, was it? 

probably read it too quick.  wouldn't mind rereading it.  i thought it was funny.  kinda like kafka
poach eggs, not elephants

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 10:30:47 AM »

1. Andrzej Sapkowski - Season of Storms

That's it! There's no more Witcher books for me to read. I'm now sad.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 01:24:09 PM »

2- the good soldier- ford maddox ford

Fattest poet that ever lived...
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 04:13:14 PM »

1. "The Unhoneymooners" - Christina Lauren
2. "The Matchmaker's List" - Sonya Lalli - Meh. I gotta stop borrowing books recommended by people who also like Jasmine Guillory. None of worked out for me so far.
3. "On the Come Up" - Angie Thomas
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 09:57:41 AM »

4. Me - Elton John

This was a really fun read - amusing, engaging and surprisingly introspective. Elton John looks back on his life and pretty much tells it like it is. He doesn't gloss over his 16 years of coke-fueled excess or his volatile temper. Excellent book.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 01:38:12 PM »

4. Me - Elton John

This was a really fun read - amusing, engaging and surprisingly introspective. Elton John looks back on his life and pretty much tells it like it is. He doesn't gloss over his 16 years of coke-fueled excess or his volatile temper. Excellent book.
Thanks for the feedback on this, MK. I've seen the book at the library and my thought was "well, he's a little late with that, given that the "definitive" biopic Rocketman came out more than a year ago". Maybe I'll check it out now.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 02:19:55 PM »

4. Me - Elton John

5. The Secret Speech - Tom Rob Smith

The second book in the series about Soviet former secret policeman Leo Demidov. After the frightening, wild ride of Child 44, this story is slightly more grounded but still packs a nice punch. When the book begins, Stalin has popped his clogs and been replaced by "reformer" Nikita S. Khrushchev, whose 1956 speech "On the Cult of Personality and its Consquences" (aka The Secret Speech) ignites fires of freedom across the Soviet Union. Those who had followed the law under Stalin suddenly find themselves on the receiving end of retribution - including former agent Demidov, his family and closest allies.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 01:23:27 PM »

1. How To Be An Anti-Racist - Ibram X. Kendi

The general message is very good and it's very good to hear how rotten all non-whites have it in this country. It also is written in a way that feels like if one were to criticize it, it would make you racist. That being said, I hated every second of reading this book. It reads like someone is giving you a sermon. It's written like it's from someone who is used to writing research papers. It feels like it's from a professor. And all of these things turn out to be descriptors of the author. He needed an editor. I don't recommend unless the topic is very important to you.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 08:53:46 AM »

4. Me - Elton John
5. The Secret Speech - Tom Rob Smith

6. The Farm - Tom Rob Smith

Boneheaded MK didn't read the synopsis of this book, just simply assumed it was book 3 in the 1950s Cold War Soviet spy trilogy. So when it began with a guy dropping his cell phone on a London street while carrying his groceries, I was a bit confused. Turns out this was not part of the spy trilogy. Instead, it's a mystery involving a British husband and Swedish wife who sell their successful gardening centre in London to move to a farm in rural Sweden to start anew. They have plans for a B&B and a sustainable fishing and farming business, but things go awry and it becomes the job of their gay son in London to unravel the mystery.

Not quite the gripping story I had expected to read from Smith, but it ended up having a satisfying conclusion, so it wasn't a waste of time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up