Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 25 Concerts for 2020  (Read 550 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
25 Concerts for 2020
« on: January 21, 2020, 08:48:21 AM »

01-19: Leggy / Stef Chura.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
Re: 25 Concerts for 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 11:59:29 AM »

1.  1/26/2019--Olivia Jean/Isabelle Helle & The Hell's Bells--Southgate House Revival, Newport, Kentucky

Olivia Jean dresses like a 60s girl group singer but likes to play her electric guitar really loud--my kind of performer.  Listening to her most recent album, Night Owl, didn't totally prepare me for the show.  Live, those songs and earlier material were both more visceral and more fully formed at the same time--a nice paradox.  She and her three piece band played an energetic rock and roll show, more aggressive than when I saw her play at the Herzog studio a little over three years ago.  And the opening act was a cut above a lot of local bands I've seen during the past few years.

One minor gripe--the show length was 49 minutes. There were plenty of calls for an encore.  But she and the female bassist came back onstage and said they used up all of the songs they rehearsed for the tour.  So no encore.  But no big deal under the circumstances.  Tickets were priced at $15 in advance, $18 day of show. I was only charged $8 at the door. I asked the guy at the door if he was sure and wasn't charging me for the show upstairs in the Revival Room. He assured me I was being charged for Olivia Jean.  Interesting,  because I had stopped by the SGHR a few days before the show to buy a ticket in advance. The printer wasn't working but the guy took a magic marker and wrote out a ticket he said I could use, and that there would be no problem because "everyone knows my handwriting and I'll be working Saturday night."  Since I didn't want any hassles at the door, I declined.  So it worked out well financially for me. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:01:17 PM by Drjohnrock »
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 04:58:09 PM »

1.  1/26/2019--Olivia Jean/Isabelle Helle & The Hell's Bells--Southgate House Revival, Newport, Kentucky

Olivia Jean dresses like a 60s girl group singer but likes to play her electric guitar really loud--my kind of performer.  Listening to her most recent album, Night Owl, didn't totally prepare me for the show.  Live, those songs and earlier material were both more visceral and more fully formed at the same time--a nice paradox.  She and her three piece band played an energetic rock and roll show, more aggressive than when I saw her play at the Herzog studio a little over three years ago.  And the opening act was a cut above a lot of local bands I've seen during the past few years.

One minor gripe--the show length was 49 minutes. There were plenty of calls for an encore.  But she and the female bassist came back onstage and said they used up all of the songs they rehearsed for the tour.  So no encore.  But no big deal under the circumstances.  Tickets were priced at $15 in advance, $18 day of show. I was only charged $8 at the door. I asked the guy at the door if he was sure and wasn't charging me for the show upstairs in the Revival Room. He assured me I was being charged for Olivia Jean.  Interesting,  because I had stopped by the SGHR a few days before the show to buy a ticket in advance. The printer wasn't working but the guy took a magic marker and wrote out a ticket he said I could use, and that there would be no problem because "everyone knows my handwriting and I'll be working Saturday night."  Since I didn't want any hassles at the door, I declined.  So it worked out well financially for me.

Is this for real? This is how bands operate now? Like, you can't whip out a Johnny B. Goode or Honky Tonk Woman?
Maybe this is a "get off my lawn" moment but as an old hand at playing out, that just seems unthinkable that you consider yourself a professional and can't play something off the cuff. Wow.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 07:04:53 PM »

I don't know if that's the way bands in general operate now but that's what happened last night.  Although I'm not that upset about it for the reasons I indicated, Olivia probably could have played something solo, even if the rest of the band wasn't able to join in.  She is a huge fan of surf music so she could have played some of Pipeline or Wipe Out. And since she is a multi-instrumentalist (she's played all of the instruments on a number of her recordings), I would have been OK with her banging on a drums for a couple of minutes.

Funny you should mention a Chuck Berry song.  I guy I know told me years ago he saw Jackson Browne. When he and his band ran out of tunes, they managed to put together a version of Sweet Little Sixteen.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 06:12:17 PM »

01-19: Leggy / Stef Chura.
I knew I was going to be out of town, so I went up to see this at the Ace of Cups in Columbus a few days earlier. Hope you enjoyed it!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

notoriouspbake

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 01:00:15 PM »

1. 3/8 cowboy junkies, the ark, ann arbor - two sets, first was heavy on "all that reckoning" second set had many older songs and plenty of old favorites, including what seemed like a 12 minute psychodelic, kick ass version of "working on a building". holy cow! any chance to get to spend 2.5 hours of watching/listening to the junkies make music is always worth it.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 03:32:34 PM »

01-19: Leggy / Stef Chura - MOTR
02-09: Bodega - MOTR

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 05:06:09 PM »

01-19: Leggy / Stef Chura - MOTR
02-09: Bodega - MOTR

How were Bodega?  They're one of the many bands I've seen mentioned a lot but never heard much of their music.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 06:35:22 PM »

Bodega was amazing. I mean, 100% on top of their game. The show was woefully under-attended but the sparse crowd didn't stop them from bringing their all to every song. I seriously doubt they'll be playing places as small as MOTR for much longer, and I'll be quite happy to pay to see them next time. They put on a helluva show.
Pages: [1]   Go Up