Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 4940 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2020, 04:55:02 PM »

Most people here in the US don't get it. We're only at the beginning of this.

The Netherlands today issued a new order, prohibiting all "gatherings" until June 1. That more than two months from now.

Meanwhile that imbecile in the White House, apparently because some talking head on Fox finds the national emergency stupid, then tweeted that the emergency should not be renewed after the announced initial 15 days (March 28).

So yea, this is what running this country comes down to: watch Fox News, then tweet whatever they say, and that's how you govern.

It's going to get a LOT worse before this gets better.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2020, 08:33:06 PM »

Most people here in the US don't get it. We're only at the beginning of this.

The Netherlands today issued a new order, prohibiting all "gatherings" until June 1. That more than two months from now.

Meanwhile that imbecile in the White House, apparently because some talking head on Fox finds the national emergency stupid, then tweeted that the emergency should not be renewed after the announced initial 15 days (March 28).

So yea, this is what running this country comes down to: watch Fox News, then tweet whatever they say, and that's how you govern.

It's going to get a LOT worse before this gets better.

I'm hoping the governors won't stupidly follow the Orange Oval Office Oaf in this regard.  I'm no fan of DeWine but he's miles ahead of Trump in his handling of COvID-19.  But if Trump follows through with his non-renewal nonsense, will DeWine cave if Trump starts calling him "Little Mikey" on Twitter? 
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2020, 08:15:24 AM »

I didn't vote for DeWine but I've been very impressed with his handling of this crisis so far. I would hope that he ignores the cheeto.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2020, 10:28:43 AM »

My sister used to be an aide for DeWine when he was in the senate. So I always liked him even if his politics differed from mine, and my sister respected him a lot.

His handling of the crisis makes me feel better about those conflicted thoughts. He's been very impressive!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2020, 10:44:02 AM »

Meanwhile gas prices are down to $1.39/gallon in Greater Cincinnati, and with further drops likely.

I-71 feels like my own personal highway. Hardly any cars on the road.

Hardly anyone in the office today (the first official 'stay at home' day). Law firms are exempted as they are deemed "essential". Of course! There are maybe 15 people here (spread over 3 floors), rather than the usual 150.

In related news: Goldman Sachs is reported as predicting a 24% GDP contraction this quarter (the largest in US history). 24%!!!!! Thinak about that for a minute.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 10:52:13 AM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2020, 05:30:56 PM »

I don't want to think about it. Terrifying.

notoriouspbake

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2020, 08:20:56 PM »

i don't want to think about it either. lives are far more important than GDP.

so, how's everyone doing?

i've kept myself occupied with figuring out remote learning for my students today. I'll watch TV/movie later, no news tho - escapism is what i need.

so far so good. no symptoms, but we may have a positive student. waiting to hear results of the test. I've cleaned and done laundry. cooked barley beef stew the other night so eating leftovers. have some salad to eat up before it goes bad too.

stay safe folks!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2020, 10:49:18 AM »

So far I have not managed to use my extra time anymore wisely than the time I already had.  We eat at home more, though we don't really cook, and we do more dishes, but that's about it.  Other than the cleaning and organizing we did to make room for Julie and Nora to work/school from home, we've just been slugs.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2020, 11:05:04 AM »

The fear of going outside, interacting with others, moving around...it's really paralyzing. My wife gets angry when we go out and about and there are people everywhere and they are just ... not distancing. It's frustrating. We've identified that we can only really go out and about before 9 am. The neighborhood hasn't really activated yet so there's space on the sidewalks and the grocery/drug stores don't have lines yet.

Separately, we caved and got takeout yesterday. I wiped down the containers on the outside but hopefully that wasn't a mistake. It was tasty though!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2020, 12:22:01 PM »

Went to the grocery store like 4 times Sat. morning, 3 different ones to finish our grocery list, and once for my 68 year old mother who has COPD.  She lives close, trying to make sure she doesn't leave the house.

We have had takeout maybe 4 times total since Mar. 12 between lunch/dinner.  Considering that we used to eat out almost every meal, it's been quite a switch.  Our youngest is now not visiting his longtime girlfriend, and seems to be taking it ok.  They both have jobs at Meijer now, so that's probably where our risk will be coming in.  One is a stocker and the other is a cart runner / general errand boy.

notoriouspbake

• City Elder
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2020, 04:16:07 PM »

first death in our extended school community. a retired teacher has succumbed to covid-19.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2020, 10:07:45 AM »

Yeah, we lost our first coworker late last week, too. I didn't know her, but that is likely the first of many. And someone on my floor has it. I haven't been in the office in over 2 weeks, so I'm not worried about that, but it's still hitting closer and closer to home.

We've been fairly isolated for over 14 days now, so we're looking good. But then we still go to the grocery stores or drug stores, and we still go out for walks or exercise, so there's always that chance. It's haunting and can be really affecting. Like, I was mindless on a bike ride and took off a glove with my mouth. Dummy. I just forgot. I hadn't touched much with that glove, but still...a few doors and an elevator for certain.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2020, 09:42:49 AM »

How is everyone doing? Are we okay? How about your loved ones?

Things continue to worsen, so just checking in.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2020, 02:46:14 PM »

Dan,

My niece (who is 6+ months pregnant) and her husband and their 2 yr old literally fled Manhattan last weekend and are now back in Belgium. I can't blame them. The hospital where she was scheduled to deliver in June is COVID-19-infested from top to bottom. They had just moved to an apartment on W 57th, and left everything behind. They hope to come back to NY in September or October.

Two days ago, I learned that a dear friend of mine and her 19 yr. old daughter (both Russian but living in the UK) have COVID-19 and are in the hospital. That really hit home for me.

Yesterday Ohio Gov. DeWine extended the Stay At Home Order through May 1 and with yet more movement restrictions. But does anyone really expect that on May 2 we are "back to normal"? I'd say the chances of that are slim to none, and I am preparing for the real possibility (if not probability) that the Stay At Home Order will be in effect through June 1, at a minimum. We are now 3 weeks into this, and frankly still only in the ramping up stage. Things are going to get a LOT worse before they get better.

At least there will be nice weather this weekend...

Stay safe and healthy everyone!

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2020, 03:43:31 PM »

So good, so far for CR and me. One of his friends in UK was hospitalized with it last week and she has all the symptoms, but her test came back negative.

I'm worried most about my mom, who's 87.

How are things for you and Liz?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up