Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 5411 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2020, 11:26:06 AM »

Pictures of jam-packed bars in Over the Rhine and the Banks this weekend have been making the rounds on social media. And of course not a single mouthmask to be seen among patrons. It's absolutely mind-blowing how reckless and careless people seem to be.

The whole facemasks and eating/drinking dichotomy is going to be an issue. How does one visit a bar or restaurant with a mask? You can't eat/drink with your mask on, so I don't understand how these establishments should find a happy medium between the two points.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #121 on: May 18, 2020, 04:31:52 PM »

I think restaurants are trying to make sure diners are far enough away from each other, and all the staff wear masks. It's not ideal but I guess that's about as happy a medium as you can get.

As for bars, the straw is being reintroduced. A lot of places banned straws (or chose to go with paper ones instead of plastic) but now they are scrambling to get them back in time for reopening.

I understand that people want to get out and socialize and have fun, I just wish everyone would be a little more careful, or maybe courteous is the word I'm looking for. But sadly I don't think that's going to happen. It's going to take some really bad shit going down for people to realize that the pandemic is real and the measures put into place are for a reason: to save lives.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2020, 06:20:47 PM »

DeWine lifts the Stay At Home Order, and BAM! there it was: the first real traffic jam since mid-March during the afternoon hour on Fort Washington Way heading towards the Brent Spence Bridge into KY.

Totally unrelated, but we had tickets for the Kesha show that was scheduled for tonight at the PNC Pavilion. Of course the show was canceled due to COVID-19, which turns out to be a blessing in disguise, as I certainly would not have enjoyed being outside in the cold and miserable weather we are having today (once again). About 20 degrees below normal (again). Wow.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2020, 11:27:23 AM »

DeWine lifts the Stay At Home Order, and BAM! there it was: the first real traffic jam since mid-March during the afternoon hour on Fort Washington Way heading towards the Brent Spence Bridge into KY.

There were two jackknifed semis right at the start of death hill.  Earlier that morning there were two jackknifed Northbound at the top of the hill.  Luckily I was going the opposite way for both.  I assume rain was a factor in both, especially the morning one.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2020, 05:30:44 PM »

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/20/859483975/poll-two-thirds-expect-return-to-normal-will-take-6-months-or-more

Two-thirds of Americans do not expect their daily lives to return to normal for at least six months, and as states reopen, three-quarters are concerned that a second wave of coronavirus cases will emerge, a new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll finds.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2020, 04:02:24 PM »

Yeah, that makes sense and is 95% of the people I talk to. Fascinating that the vocal minority are all about something else.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2020, 05:02:20 PM »

I got sent out on assignment today to help cover the reopening of indoor dining. There was no lunchtime crowd in Downtown or OTR. Some of the restaurants who posted on social media that they'd be open for lunch weren't. Maybe they figured the rain would keep people away.

I went to Taft's Ale House, one of the few places open. They seemed to be doing everything right - all team members were wearing masks and disposable gloves. Hand sanitizer was easy to locate and plentiful.

I admit I had some trepidation about dining out and as a precaution had considered bringing my own cutlery, but didn't need it. They've gone disposable for everything from menus to cutlery and dinnerware. The menu has changed to accommodate the new safety measures. The new chef had to get creative with the menu because things like the tri-tip steak, one of Taft's most popular offerings, are too difficult to cut with a plastic knife. I liked the new menu options - there was more emphasis on vegetarian offerings with the option to upgrade with a protein like chicken.

I honestly felt pretty safe there on a slow, rainy Thursday afternoon, but who knows what it will be like on a Friday night? In the past, people were packed in like sardines at Taft's bar, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle lubricated bar-bros tomorrow night. I know one thing - I feel for the hospitality workers who have to deal with them (not just Taft's, but everywhere).

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2020, 06:00:32 PM »

I stopped by at Taste of Belgium in the Banks today to pick up my take-out lunch, and it was open for inside dining and patio dining (incredibly, I saw 2 tables occupied on the patio, even though it was only low 50s and raining--patio is covered, but still).

TOB has changed the inside lay-out completely to account for the social distancing and related guidelines. All staff was masked. Tables far apart. Traffic patterns indicate where to walk. Check-in table at the entrance (meaning, you can't just walk in like you used to), etc. etc. I was impressed but not surprised. I had spoken with the owner (Jean-Francois) a week ago, and he is absolutely 100% committed to doing this right way, both for the sake of his staff and the customers' sake. When the weather gets better I will have no hesitation to dine there, inside or on the patio.

virgil p colon

• City Elder
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2020, 04:18:29 PM »

We went to the store today to pick up a couple of things. All the employees were wearing masks, but there were only 5-10% of us shoppers wearing masks. The store was pretty busy too. Pretty frustrating as Utah's daily numbers continue to rise rather than fall.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2020, 03:22:06 PM »

Yeah it's frustrating how people have politicized mask-wearing.

I liked what Gov. DeWine said this morning on Meet the Press.

"It is not about whether you're a liberal or conservative, left or right, Republican or Democrat. It's been very clear what the studies have shown - you wear the mask not to protect yourself so much as to protect others. This is the one time when we truly are all in this together. What we do directly impacts others."

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2020, 04:12:47 PM »

Yeah it's frustrating how people have politicized mask-wearing.

I liked what Gov. DeWine said this morning on Meet the Press.

"It is not about whether you're a liberal or conservative, left or right, Republican or Democrat. It's been very clear what the studies have shown - you wear the mask not to protect yourself so much as to protect others. This is the one time when we truly are all in this together. What we do directly impacts others."

yeah. obviously, statistically, many many people will not get sick, or did have it and were simply asymptomatic, but once again it just illustrates selfishness masquerading as personal freedom. wearing a mask in costco is not some major fucking request. a bandana over your face is good enough. there was a doctor (on twitter i think) who said it best. to paraphrase, it was something like "if you've got such a problem with this, you should feel incredibly grateful that you have had no one in your life by which to measure how much this virus can fuck you up."
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 04:16:50 PM by twentyshots »
bongo hard or bongo home

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2020, 06:49:19 PM »

Meanwhile, in the UK....
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2020, 12:15:45 PM »

It absolutely blows the mind: 40+ million have lost their jobs in the last 10 weeks (26% of the work force).

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/28/863120102/40-8-million-out-of-work-in-the-past-10-weeks

Other than that, carry on, nothing to see here. Trump is doing a "really, really fantastic job".

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2020, 01:41:58 PM »

At the base hospital, they set up a testing station in the parking lot back when this started. I usually drive past it once a day. When all of this began, you would see 3 or 4 cars in line. That gradually tapered off and for quite a while now when I drove by there wasn't anyone in line.
So here we are, the Friday after Memorial Day weekend and there were 12 cars in line at the same time I usually drive by.
I like to think it was a fluke but when I mentioned the number of cars in line to a coworker, the first thing he said was "yep, there's a spike coming."
Hey idiots, I hope the drinks at the lake with 500 of your closest friends was worth it.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2020, 11:25:16 AM »

These protests are probably going to kill many thousands more African Americans in the next six months than the cops will.

Iím not trying to take a side, just stating a sad truth.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up