Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 6638 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2020, 10:45:45 AM »

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #136 on: June 02, 2020, 02:56:24 PM »

Thanks for sharing that, Dan. Very interesting!
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2020, 11:06:50 PM »

This is from the NY Times: "Southern officials warn of new clusters linked to bars and frat parties"

I don't understand going to bars. I just don't get it. I empathize with "economic" argument about most businesses and activities, but (indoor or outdoor) bars just don't make sense to me. And frat parties too, clearly. But really - any parties.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2020, 02:07:28 PM »

Couldn't agree more, Dan. It just blows the mind.

New COVID-19 cases are spiking heavily in Florida (among other states). And it's not going to go away. Au contraire...

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/22/florida-politicians-coronavirus-surge-333611

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2020, 06:23:35 PM »

My friends were discussing this and something that seems to get lost (to me at least) is that in the Sun Belt states, where the spikes seem to be happening, it's so hot there that no one is outside. So they are all in their air conditioning, and that's probably adding to it. Also the fact that those states were the first to open, and the general "I don't want to wear a mask" attitudes. But the "not outside" element feels like there's something to it.

virgil p colon

• City Elder
« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2020, 01:01:06 PM »

My friends were discussing this and something that seems to get lost (to me at least) is that in the Sun Belt states, where the spikes seem to be happening, it's so hot there that no one is outside. So they are all in their air conditioning, and that's probably adding to it. Also the fact that those states were the first to open, and the general "I don't want to wear a mask" attitudes. But the "not outside" element feels like there's something to it.

I am in Utah and as soon as the Governor lifted the stay home order, everyone went right back to life as normal. We see very few masks. Our numbers aren't anything like Arizona's, but they have tripled what they were in April and are staying pretty steady. It's not that difficult to wear a mask, I don't get it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2020, 03:22:36 PM »

Here's where I stand, based on my understandings of what's happening and what I see/read.

-Everyone wears masks. At all times except at home.
-Bars are closed.
-Dining... I don't know, I want to say "only outside" but even that feels contradictory. It really should be "take out only"
-Large gatherings that are outside are fine.
-Large indoor gatherings are still closed.

AND THAT'S IT. THAT'S ALL IT WILL TAKE.

Basically, the conclusion is that when people's mouths are exposed (talking, eating, drinking) they are spreading the virus. And indoor situations keeps the spread happening because of recirculation of air or whatever it is. If it's cold, indoors are bad. If it's HOT, like in the sunbelt right now, then indoors are bad at the same level.

If we as a nation did just what I wrote above, I think this would all just ... go away. And then we could mostly resume. We could have sports, we could have outdoor concerts. We could hang out with friends. We could go shopping.

It's like, all of this can be fixed if we can get over the fact that we shouldn't eat and drink with each other. That's really the trouble.

(but I'm no doctor, so I look forward to reading this post in 2 to 20 months from now and thinking I'm an idiot.)

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2020, 06:30:59 PM »

Your assessment seems pretty spot on.
The problem in America is that there are enough dumbasses who think it's perfectly fine that their kids need bullet proof backpacks and metal detectors and armed guards to go to school but won't wear a paper mask because of "Mah Freedumbs!"

notoriouspbake

• City Elder
« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2020, 07:50:24 PM »

Here's where I stand, based on my understandings of what's happening and what I see/read.

-Bars are closed.
-Dining... I don't know, I want to say "only outside" but even that feels contradictory. It really should be "take out only"

AND THAT'S IT. THAT'S ALL IT WILL TAKE.

(but I'm no doctor, so I look forward to reading this post in 2 to 20 months from now and thinking I'm an idiot.)

all of the data that's been accumulating, your assessment is spot on. COVID is airborne, so eating and talking can send the micro droplets out. it'd take a few months, but it could be done. at the very least, we could try the experiment and see where we are in the middle of august. but trump won't even do the very least to try and stop this.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2020, 09:50:40 AM »

-Bars are closed.

Mostly agree with this, but I don't think that "large gatherings" of any kind are advisable (indoor OR outside).

But as others have noted, Trump has simply given up. There's not even a resemblance of this administration TRYING anymore.

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2020, 11:11:29 AM »

Yeah, I don't advise large gatherings, but I do think that if the masks were at 99+% compliance, we could have large gatherings. The NYC protests, which have that 99% compliance, indicate that large gatherings with masks are okay. The cases in NYC are not going up (fingers crossed) and there's been a month of protests, so that's indicative.

If it's this simple...why isn't this happening? Blah.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2020, 11:36:03 AM »

Give it two weeks.  I think we will see big spikes in cities that have had large protests. 

I think the masks probably help reduce the risk of incidental/casual transmission, but I doubt they do much for people marching like 1 foot apart while yelling.

Maybe tear gas kills coronavirus, and the police have inadvertantly saved tens of thousands of lives.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2020, 03:12:02 PM »

I was wondering today if the issue is the "14 day quarantine" and that it should really be "1 month".

There's a report that COVID was circulating in NYC in early February. And the states that are spiking now seemed to open about a month ago.
But the protests started over a month ago. In my experience with the protests, people aren't 6 ft apart at all times, but there is still a general "not too close" element.

notoriouspbake

• City Elder
« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2020, 04:05:25 PM »

i'm on the reopening school committee for my school, so i've been digging into all kinds of information and stats. i figure covid will kill me so i'm doing everything i can to make my work safe for me and others.

i stumbled across one of the world's leading epideimologists on twitter: https://twitter.com/DrEricDing , and he's posting solid information about COVID, with some personal political comments as well. His group has found no upticks in protest areas - suggesting outside is much better than inside, and many protesters were wearing masks promoting that masks are the simplest weapon we have against COVID.

CDC and WHO recommendations are 10-14 days post symptoms to be clear of virus, if exposed. more time isn't necessary.

more information is coming out every day and for sure the CDC blew it with not recommending masks earlier, but we have a baseline of knowledge on how to stop this like other countries. trump has decided to ignore it and is causing thousands of deaths due to his vanity.

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2020, 08:01:51 PM »

Dayton just passed an ordinance making the wearing of masks in the city limits mandatory with a possible fine for non-compliance.
Good on em. These ass hats who wander around like its no big deal need to be reigned in.
The blow back should be interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up