Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shoegazing  (Read 3404 times)

LanneyD

• Asleep in the Back
  • City Elder
shoegazing
« on: May 14, 2004, 10:00:54 PM »

I've heard of it.  I've heard bands called it.  But what exactly is it?

And why the hell is it called that???  Sorry, I don't know about you, but my shoes aren't that interesting.  I have much more entertaining things to gaze at.
I lived my dream today
and I have lived it yesterday
-The Libertines

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
shoegazing
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 10:21:08 PM »

doesn't it get its name because those type of bands had guitarists that kept looking down at their pedals?  It has a sort of dreamy, fuzzy sound.  It's all in the distortion!   :D

Look it up at www.allmusic.com

rva

shoegazing
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 10:52:43 PM »

Paging Rafeyboy... paging rafeyboy.  

But yeah, it's because the bands were known for not being very dynamic live.

pathogen

• not now james...
  • City Elder
shoegazing
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 12:34:15 AM »

it's one of the few options left to convicted stalkers b/c looking directly at anyone for an extended period of time can result in additional legal action.  (mmm, legal action...)

at least that's what my lawyer told me.  but what does he know?  "Oh, look at me, i have a diploma on the wall and i know what 'tort' means".  meh, big deal, i can buy one of those diplomas online anytime i want Mr. Man!!  

someone hold me   :oops:

rva

shoegazing
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 12:36:16 AM »

Battery is my favorite tort,
I love to watch them sue each other in the court!

Mr. "Kurtis Blow" Man

LanneyD

• Asleep in the Back
  • City Elder
shoegazing
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 11:30:32 AM »

from AMG
Shoegaze is a genre of late '80s and early '90s British indie rock, named after the bands' motionless performing style, where they stood on stage and stared at the floor while they played. But shoegaze wasn't about visuals -- it was about pure sound. The sound of the music was overwhelmingly loud, with long, droning riffs, waves of distortion, and cascades of feedback. Vocals and melodies disappeared into the walls of guitars, creating a wash of sound where no instrument was distinguishable from the other.

Its kinda funny that a (sub?)genre was created (by that, I mean the name, not the style) based on performance, but is considered to be now based on the sound.

Oh yeah, I'm a big fan of torts too.  Especially in the morning with my coffee.
I lived my dream today
-The Libertines

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
shoegazing
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 01:54:03 PM »

Torts? Eh. I prefer crumpets.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
shoegazing
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 04:25:15 PM »

Arguably the leading album of the "Shoegazing" movement is 'Loveless' - My Bloody Valentine.  

Some other good ones are:

'Nowhere' - Ride
'Chrome' and 'Ferment' by Catherine Wheel
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

rva

shoegazing
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2004, 05:12:00 PM »

It's not even arguable man.  Definitely MBV.  Oh, and any band with a short U sound.

LanneyD

• Asleep in the Back
  • City Elder
shoegazing
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2004, 06:52:33 PM »

I finally got around to buing the MBV album about two months ago, but I never (until now) understood why it was called that.
who knows, I may even have a few other "shoegazer" albums and didn't even know it.
I lived my dream today
-The Libertines

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
shoegazing
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2004, 11:53:58 AM »

Over here, "shoegazers" were at the time a much-derided collection of musicians . The bands that pre-dated the genre, such as JAMC (by some years), Loop, Spacemen 3 and My Bloody Valentine, suddenly found a whole slew of quasi-imitators exploding on the scene, with varying levels of competence. As has been said before, the Shoegazer name came from the fact that these people would remain almost inanimate onstage, head down, staring at their Doc's. The focus was definitely aural power and complexity, and was heavily influenced by Sonic Youth, alongside the other aforementioned bands.

Me, I fucking loved it. Check out "Scar" by Lush, at the etheriel end of things, but also the Telescopes, Chapterhouse, Slowdive, Ride ("Chelsea Girl" is the best debut single since "Upside down"), Thee hypnotics, 1000 Yard Stare (early stuff) and the Pale Saints.

For the record, my favourite album from here has to be "Isn't Anything" by MBV.
Am Meer
Pages: [1]   Go Up