Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Camper Van Beethoven-- Robbed!!  (Read 6108 times)

rva

Camper Van Beethoven-- Robbed!!
« on: October 20, 2004, 07:33:22 PM »

From http://www.campervanbeethovan.com:

Gear stolen, Merch stolen - HELP!

I just got this message from Jonathan Segel - and confirmed by phone with David Lowery as they were headed down to the police station. Get the word out about all this as fast as possible!  
If you have info, email me: john@cursion.com

Or better yet - contact the Montreal Policer.

Message from Jonathan:

all of camper van beethoven's guitars and violin and our merch got
stolen last night in montreal. if anybody has any contacts up here,
tell them to look for our stuff in stores. or hunt down the robbers and
kill them.

jonathan's violin with stickers all over it

jonathan's 1971 strat (sunburst) (with a couple stickers, etc.)O

victor's 1969 precision bass (natural finish)

david's green charvel surfcaster

david's black jackson surfcaster

a couple ibanez acoustics

johnny's black eric clapton strat

greg's frankenstein strat (black) and tele (tobacco sunbusrst)

(warmoth esp or something)

plus mike duclos' precision bass and ezster balint's gibson sg and

danelectro semi acoustic.

maybe more.. not sure yet.

a few tshirts and a road case of cds.
including the email list we collected last night, preventing this from going out to montreal fans!

Skippy

• Citizen
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 08:22:30 PM »

didnt they have a fire destroy all their stuff back in the early 90's?
URL=http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=skipalupagus&mediatype=C]My CD collection[/URL]
My bootleg collection
MIX PAGE

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 10:28:56 PM »

yeah, I got this email from the Cracker mailing list.  That's messed.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 08:49:35 AM »

I got this email too. I wish there was more I could do for them.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Doug

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 09:10:46 AM »

Shouldn't they have some money or something?  It sucks and all, but they should just head on down to the music store and buy some more gear.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 09:56:15 AM »

How much would it cost to replace all that?  $25,000?  More?  I can only think of a few bands that can afford to replace all their gear.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 10:03:15 AM »

Quote from: "DogStarMan"
Shouldn't they have some money or something?  It sucks and all, but they should just head on down to the music store and buy some more gear.

You may seriously be the most unsympathetic person I've ever known.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 10:19:55 AM »

Unsympathetic, yes.  Funny, also yes.

Doug

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 10:46:44 AM »

Quote from: "Kwyjibo"
Quote from: "DogStarMan"

You may seriously be the most unsympathetic person I've ever known.

Yah.  It's too bad I can't align my thoughts and opinions to yours.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge me.  I'm sympathetic in ways you couldn't even imagine.

I know that you've been a recent victim of theft and theft in general, sucks ass.  I think what sucks the most, is all of the personal and sentimental value all of their instruments probably had fto each of them.  I guess I just see this incident differently.  Sue me if I'm not all like, "Goddamn them thieves, let's start donating to Camper Van".  If 25,000 bucks worth of stuff was robbed from me or you, it would destroy us.  For them, they're hurtin', but, I would imagine, not so bad.  My question is, did they not have any of this insured?  I know if I was toting around a bunch of expensive stuff across the country, I'd sure as hell get an insurance policy.

This stuff has happened to a bunch of artists and it didn't stop them from continuing on or putting out albums that earned them more than enough money to buy whatever the hell thay want.  I love Camper Van and I feel bad that this happened, but I'm not gonna' worry about it when I'm having trouble paying my gas bill.

rva

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 11:04:49 AM »

David Lowery doesn't seem *that* rich to me, and he's got to be the richest CVB member by far.

I admit I'm just guessing here, but the rest of CVB is probably in roughly the same income bracket as we are.  Plus those are their tools to make a living.  I agree that it's not catastrophic, but it's a big pain in the ass.  

I think it'd be roughly the equivalent of you or I suffering a big server meltdown.  Having to replace the equipment, restore from backup, etc.-- and then there's always some data you can't get back.

Doug

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 11:10:26 AM »

Quote from: "rva"
I think it'd be roughly the equivalent of you or I suffering a big server meltdown.  Having to replace the equipment, restore from backup, etc.-- and then there's always some data you can't get back.

Well, in the case of ytheir instruments, it would probably be almost like someone stealing family heirlooms.  That's gotta' suck the most.  Hopefully the word will get out and someone will get busted trying to sell some of it.

Have no fear...their tour will not be inturrupted and their sponsors, etc, are already re-supplying them with equipment.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 01:13:20 PM »

My question is, how does someone make off with that much equipment without anyone knowing about it? Just doesn't make a lot of sense. They'd have to steal a van to get away with that much shit.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 01:16:21 PM »

Wasn't trying to jump on you, but your original post wasn't exactly dripping with honey... as most of your posts aren't.  I don't care if you disagree with me, never will, but making out right dickish statements all the time without qualifying them tends to make me think you're a dick on such matters.  If you meant that it was a pain in the ass, and that they should be insured and you understand it's a blow but your sure they'll move on then you should probably say that instead of "don't they have some money or something?"

I'm not sure where you're going with this sponsorship thing.  I'm not totally up to date on my CVB, but uh... they never exactly were raking it in off this were they?  Even bands on big labels, unless they're REM or U2 don't generally make big money... so I'm wondering why you think CVB is.  As for tour sponsorship, surely you're kidding... who do you think is sponsoring?  Nike?  Budweiser?  I'd imagine if anything it's Chuck's Head Shop in Lower Sheboigan... if they've got that much support.  Even at that sponsorship on this kind of tour is generally limited to putting up flyers in a shop window.

My guess is they'll spend the rest of the tour using equipment they have shipped to them from their practice space and using borrowed stuff from the other bands on the tour.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Doug

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 01:29:35 PM »

Quote from: "Kwyjibo"
I'm not sure where you're going with this sponsorship thing.

This from Fograsher over at the WOXY boards.

David Lowery is sponsored by Ibanez and they are kindly replacing David's gear and loaning some additional gear for the tour. Friends, fans and members of other bands in the areas are also loaning some additional gear.

And, I know you weren't trying to "jump me".  You just don't get me is all.  No sweat.  I'm like an onion...I hurt to look at and I'm full of many layers....or something like that.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 01:45:48 PM »

When I cut you, you make me cry.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up