Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "The Office" Special  (Read 3519 times)

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
"The Office" Special
« on: October 22, 2004, 08:46:31 AM »

We watched this again last night.

MK & I watched the original UK broadcast of it last Christmas and laughed. Last night we laughed even harder. I realised that the BEST chuckles from this are often when you know exactly what's coming.

Brent's blind date and the whole "breasts" speech made me guffaw over and over again, likewise Keith's "All you need is a bucket and t-shirt" comment.
Opulence. I has it.

Doug

"The Office" Special
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 08:56:43 AM »

I was gonna' suggest we watch this Sunday night after dinner.  Still haven't seen it.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 09:01:44 AM »

I was going to watch it last night, but it was 3 hours long with commercials.  I have to be asleep by 11 anymore, so no dice.

But, like any good cable show, I'm sure it will be on 80 kabillion more times.

Marlowe

• foppish twit
  • City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 11:28:49 AM »

i dvr'd it last night and am planning on watching it tonight. i'm really psyched!

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 11:30:44 AM »

Same here. It's sitting on my DVR, and I'll be watching it after lunch.

Butter, IIRC BBC America will be showing it all weekend long.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
"The Office" Special
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 12:40:28 PM »

Quote from: "DogStarMan"
I was gonna' suggest we watch this Sunday night after dinner.  Still haven't seen it.

[schild=1]Hell, we'll watch it again, no problems![/schild]
Opulence. I has it.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 02:58:09 PM »

Just finished watching it. I won't say any more about it until after Sunday, so as not to spoil it for those who aren't planning on watching it until after the weekend. I'm also going to put up a few of my favorite quotes then.

It's superb. But then again, you probably already knew that.

Quote from: "Cockney Rebel"
I realised that the BEST chuckles from this are often when you know exactly what's coming.

I noticed that about the regular series, too. The DVD for the special comes out on November 16 so I'm sure I'll be laughing my ass off on November 17.

[schild=1 fontcolor=0000FF shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]Chilled-out entertainer[/schild]
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 10:57:38 AM »

I loved when Brent told Chris Fench to go fuck himself, that was awesome.

I think the best part was Brent thinking the fat woman was his blind date and then telling her that and basically telling her he was relieved she wasn't it.

Blind Date: So will we be doing this again?
Brent: I should hardly think so.

God I hate him.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 11:00:34 AM »

Oh and I meant to add that this was mind numbingly difficult to watch in a few scenes... it's just so uncomfortable.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 11:06:26 AM »

Just one more.

Those afraid of the 3 hours blocked out for this show should know that the show itself is only 2:10, the rest is the "making of" from the DVD set.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 11:34:24 AM »

Quote from: "Kwyjibo"
I loved when Brent told Chris Fench to go fuck himself, that was awesome.

I think the best part was Brent thinking the fat woman was his blind date and then telling her that and basically telling her he was relieved she wasn't it.

Yeah, those were quality.

I enjoyed the staff meeting when they were coming up with ideas for the Christmas party. - "No OAPs in the wet T-shirt contest"

[schild=1 fontcolor=0000FF shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]I'm not a plonker[/schild]

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 12:02:55 PM »

Saying that the one woman was too uptight because she asked his name cause he didn't want to admit that he was "that awful boss" was pretty brilliant.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 12:11:13 PM »

I'll say this...I liked the ending.

Maybe I'm just an ol' softie
(I don't know if that really needed to be in spoiler text or not but I didn't want to take a chance. Plus, I haven't ever used the spoiler text before.)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 02:31:56 PM »

Quote from: "Jonathan"
I'll say this...I liked the ending.

Maybe I'm just an ol' softie
(I don't know if that really needed to be in spoiler text or not but I didn't want to take a chance. Plus, I haven't ever used the spoiler text before.)

I agree, I liked it too.  However

While I like that Tim and Dawn did end up together, I thought it was entirely too understated.  I mean to me, that entire sidebar was more important that Brent just running around being a jackass, it had some actual fiber too it, you know?  So for it to be so nuanced the way it was was kind of annoying.

That's probably just me though.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 02:44:04 PM »

I don't know. I mean
When you consider the premise of the show, that it's a BBC "mockumentary" about the workings of an average British office, the personal relationships of the co-workers should be treated on the periphery. However, I can also see that the premise of the Christmas special, a "where are they now three years later?" sort of deal, you could take a different focus, especially since David Brent isn't the boss any more. I guess it could go either way.
How's that for taking both sides?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up