Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "The Office" Special  (Read 4243 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2004, 03:43:15 PM »

"All you need is a bucket of water. And t-shirts."
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Juliana

• City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2004, 06:01:21 PM »

While I do like the show, I'm very much on the borderline of hating it.

It's not funny because it's funny, it's funny because it's horrible and uncomfortable.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2004, 06:28:52 PM »

Gervais is from Reading - I lived there a while, and have worked in the neighbouring town of Slough, in which this was set. The humour is absolutely A1, an excruciatingly accurate satire on what it is to work in this environment, in this area, amongst these people who grew up just like me.

juliana said it - it's uncomfortable, pathetic, sad and sobering. Pathos is a fabulous comedy weapon.

Brent is fantastic, and I'm glad his character grew a set of bollocks towards the end of the show.

A fitting end to a masterpiece. what a fucking good laugh.
Am Meer

Marlowe

• foppish twit
  • City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2004, 06:33:46 PM »

I agree -- all of the parts with David Brent through most of the beginning were seriously painful to watch. I thought that part may have been just a tad too long, and the party was a tad too short.

But besides that, I loved it. Part of me thought that the twin-endings were a bit of a cop-out, especially the part where David Brent met a really nice & attractive woman who actually liked him. I mean, c'mon, there's no way she would've liked him. But, you did get a glimmer of a hint that she was going to transform him into an almost tolerable human being.

And as for the Tim story, well I actually found that rather sweet. You could see the set-up through the whole thing when Dawn's b-friend was being such a cock-knocker, and I thought parts of it were really touching, like when she opened the art-set he gave her. Right then and there you knew they were meant for each other.

I loved the two blind dates that Brent went on. Like when he was making conversation about the woman's necklace and telling her that it was a way of attracting the eyes to the breasts.

So yeah, although the series really could have ended after season two, it was nice to get a coda to the stories of people who you really felt like you knew. I guess as a guy you sort of tend to identify with Tim. He's an everyman you like and you wish he'd get up off his ass and do something with his life, but at the same time we've all probably found ourselves feeling just that way at some point in our lives.

Juliana

• City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2004, 09:53:34 AM »

Quote from: "Marlowe"
You could see the set-up through the whole thing when Dawn's b-friend was being such a cock-knocker, and I thought parts of it were really touching, like when she opened the art-set he gave her. Right then and there you knew they were meant for each other.

but her boyfriend was a dick the entire run.
-Ed Helms

Sonic Boom

• Master of 4 chords
  • City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2005, 12:36:58 PM »

Quote from: "Juliana"

It's not funny because it's funny, it's funny because it's horrible and uncomfortable.

The uncomfortableness of it is what I love.  I'm very late on finally jumping into this show and finally watched all the episodes and the special in one fell swoop.  It took me just a bit to "catch on" but I loved it so much after that.  The asides and winks to the camera are great.  I want to be Tim, I want to kill Gareth, and I want to marry Dawn.  Is Gervais doing anything now?  I'm completely out of the loop, I think.
color=DarkGreen]Kill Your Co-Workers [/color]

Juliana

• City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2005, 01:00:46 PM »

He's going to pen, and guest star in an episode of the Simpsons very soon, at least that's what I heard.
-Ed Helms

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
"The Office" Special
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2005, 03:07:43 PM »

He's also been doing stand-up in the UK, continuing to present his radio show (w/The Office's co-writer Stephen Merchant) on London's Xfm and has been preparing his new series "The Extras" about (allegedly) a group of movie extras. Every episode will feature a major movie star with (apparently) the likes of Jude Law, Julia Roberts & others already signed up.

Juliana is also right w/The Simpsons story although reports conflict as to if he is going to get a full or partial writing credit.

Not bad for a complete chancer from Reading, UK.
Opulence. I has it.

Sonic Boom

• Master of 4 chords
  • City Elder
"The Office" Special
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2005, 03:22:21 PM »

Awesome- thanks for the info CR!  I had no idea he had a show on XFM...
color=DarkGreen]Kill Your Co-Workers [/color]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up