Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trachtenberg Family Slideshow Players  (Read 4806 times)

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
Trachtenberg Family Slideshow Players
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2004, 03:39:12 PM »

Quote from: "MissKitty"
Dayton show is Wednesday night--you will have a full report sometime on Thursday, I reckon. :)

Oops! Karen certainly didn't marry me for my stunning intellect! Begs the question, what the hell did she marry me for....

Have a great time all - look forward to the review!
Am Meer

Marlowe

• foppish twit
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2004, 05:02:46 PM »

Well hopefully at least a few of you will make it. I'm not sure if the show starts at 9 or 9:30. But, I'll be next door at the Belle by around 8 for some pre-show imbibing,  so whatever time it starts I'll be there

Marlowe

• foppish twit
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2004, 07:04:26 AM »

...it's the next morning and I still can't believe that Jack White opened up for this band! Wow, that was a real treat!

Fun night. MK, Lunarbee, CR & DSM, nice to have seen y'all there.

Doug

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2004, 07:23:23 AM »

That was such a sweet show.  Those are like the perfect three bands to see at Canal Street.  Approachable and engaging.  I laughed my ass off.  I'm so glad the T family changed up their set from the last time I saw them.  Of course "Look at me" and "Eggs" are always my favorites and I can't get enough of them.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
Re: Trachtenberg Family Slideshow Players
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2004, 06:23:56 PM »

Quote from: "Rafeyboy"
So peeps, was it a decent gig? I've recently heard some of their stuff and it wasn't very good - I take it they're a "live" experience. was the Dayton show fabulous?

It was a WEIRD show, which is one of the key things I liked about it.
The opening guy was cool because he sounded a LOT like Tom Waits.
The "Touching You" guy?  Eh... what a cunt!  I didn't like him at all.  He was just trying way too hard.
And the TFSP were very strange.  The premise is cool.  There were a lot of interruptions in between songs... some were annoying, some were funny.   So overall, while I liked the show, I wasn't exactly blown away by it.

Oh and before the show, I downed a lemon drop for Mrs. Rafe!  Those are sooo awesome!
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

Doug

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2004, 07:49:48 AM »

Quote from: "thelunarbee"
The opening guy was cool because he sounded a LOT like Tom Waits.

I hought the same thing.  It was like Tom Waits without the smoky aftertaste.

I didn't mind touching you so much.  He was entertaining.

As far as I'm concerned, the Trachtenberg Family can do no wrong.  I love them to death.  I love the fact that it's herky-jerky and they stop and chat between songs.  I almost feel like I'm watching good friends perform.  I want to be the fourth Trachtenberg....maybe they'll let me play the triangle.

I'm curious to read CR and Misskitty's take on it.  Every time I looked at Misskitty, she was laughing her head off, but CR seemed a little stiff.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2004, 08:08:57 AM »

Quote from: "DogStarMan"
CR seemed a little stiff.

I'm not sure whether to go for the sex joke or the "British are stiff" joke here.  Someone decide for me.

Doug

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2004, 08:30:46 AM »

I'm leaving it wide open for interpretation.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2004, 10:08:33 AM »

Quote from: "Butter"

I'm not sure whether to go for the sex joke or the "British are stiff" joke here.  Someone decide for me.

Well, if it's any help, the "British are stiff" was the first thing I thought of when I read DSM's original post.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2004, 10:47:15 AM »

I had a very enjoyable evening and thought what they did was clever. Most of the slides cracked me up, as did the between song banter.

I did worry about Rachael's schooling/tutoring though. :)
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2004, 12:38:11 PM »

Surely the definition of a little stiff is when that geezer from "Fantasy Island" drops dead?

I thought they were...... okay.

I kinda likened them to a bad comedian telling the same joke over and over again. The premise was very intriguing but, personally, I just found the execution somewhat lacking.

Regardless though an enjoyable evening out. Good to see you DSM, nice to be able to return the compliment of a ride to thelunarbee and it was nice of Marlowe not to thump me again. (Please don't tell me you're still 'mulling' over Sydney!)

Now excuse whilst I go back to hiding behind that famous 'British Reserve'
Opulence. I has it.

Doug

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2004, 12:52:38 PM »

I got to read your livejournal entry on it.  Evidently, I was the only one who enjoyed them to the degree I did.  I love quirky, nerdy people though (that would probably explain why I visit here so frequently).  I love how personable they are.  I love their idiotic songs and crazee slides.  I love 'em!

So...did you guys go to the Denny's on Main?  If so, I'm not suprised about your experience.  I used to live 2 blocks north of that place.  It has always been known as the place where the weirdos come to dine.  I think that was also the one that got sued for discrimination against black customers.  From my experiences, they're pretty much equal opportunity assholes.  But, what a great place to sit at the bar and drink coffee after a busy night of clubbing in my younger days.  So much to watch, the entire pageantry of human freakishness unfolds before you.  Just don't go in there expecting things like, "service" or "customer satisfaction".  Leave those expectations at the door.

You made a good choice by going to the Trolley Stop.  I wish I could have joined you guys earlier.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up