Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Concerts of the year  (Read 3305 times)

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
Concerts of the year
« on: December 21, 2004, 10:39:09 PM »

I've seen so many good shows the past 3 years, it's insane. It took me a while to compile this list, but here's my top 10 of 2004:

1. Homunculus- 10/09/04: Mad Frog, Cincy. Final Show

2. Muse-04/24/04: Top Cat's, Cincy

3. Forget Cassettes-04/16/04: Radiodown, Covington, KY. w/ Viewfinder, Chalk and Apollo Up

4. Jesse Malin-08/15/04: Southgate House, Newport,KY. w/ The Damnwells

5. Midpoint Music Festival- 09/04: Downtown, Cincy. Ass Pony's, Captain of Industry, many more.

6. Clinic- 05/13/04: Southgate House, Newport, KY. w/ Mallory

7. All Tomorrow's Parties Festival- 11/06/04: Long Beach, CA. w/ Lou Reed, Modest Mouse, The Walkmen, and many more.

8. Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks- 11/20/04: Stuart's Opera House, Nelsonville, OH

9. Mclusky- 06/04(?): Southgate House, Newport, KY. w/ Oceansize and the Whiskey Dicks

10. The Carlsonics- 07/04(?): The Comet, Cincy.

Honorable Mentions:
The Hives- 12/03/04: The Newport, Columbus, OH. w/ the Dirtbombs

Karate- 10/15/04: Uncle Pleasant's, Louisville, KY. w/ Chris Brokaw

Martin Sexton- 03/12/04: 20th Century Theatre, Cincy.

Snow Patrol- 09/19/04: The Newport, Columbus, OH. w/ Eisley

Modest Mouse- 07/26/04: King's Island, Cincy. w/ The Walkmen

Los Hanchos- 07/26/04: Northside Tavern, Cincy

George Thorogood- 12/04/04: The Newport, Columbus, OH

Electric 6- 06/11/04: Little Brother's, Columbus, OH

I'm sure there's many I'm forgetting.....
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
Concerts of the year
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 10:56:39 PM »

Hehe...I took my old man to see Thorogood last Christmas. A great "show", and quite moving to see the old fella nearly in tears when Gorgeous George played "The Sky is Crying".
Am Meer

slow-dog

• City Elder
    • http://www.slow-dog.com/
Concerts of the year
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 11:41:42 PM »

I can't remember which shows were this year, but the best that definitely happened in 2004  were:

Wrens @ Noise Pop, Bottom of the Hill San Francisco.
Naturaly History and The M's @ Bottom of the Hil.l

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
Concerts of the year
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 11:52:25 PM »

I think the one and only time I've seen a live band for more than five minutes this year was this past Friday night. Me and the Mrs. went to see one of her faves, Barenaked Ladies, for our anniversary. I'm not a big fan, but they certainly put on one hell of a show.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
Concerts of the year
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 10:35:27 AM »

Yeah, I updated my list a little...

Quote from: "Rafeyboy"
Hehe...I took my old man to see Thorogood last Christmas. A great "show", and quite moving to see the old fella nearly in tears when Gorgeous George played "The Sky is Crying".

I tell you what, I caught a lot of shit for even saying I was going to this show. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaring George in my car everyday, but I've yet to see an electric guitarist play better than he did in concert. And he's up there in age, I can only imagine how good he was back in his day. I'm glad I went.
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Juliana

• City Elder
Concerts of the year
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 11:07:46 AM »

Better Than Ezra in Indy in November
Better Than Ezra in Columbus in Feb (at a dance marathon at the univ)
Midpoint (not so much for the bands [except for Imaginary Bill], but for the whole Midpoint thing [minus the car break in of course])
Sparks fly from a Kiss at Northside

...Um, I can't think of any others, but I'll post more as I do.

Worst of '04
Old 97s in Indy (ugh, SOOOOOOO boring)
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
Concerts of the year
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 11:12:46 AM »

As far as my worsts, I saw so many I can't even recall them all. Many at Midpoint, one out at "All-Tomorrow's" called Lungfish, and The Strokes sucked ass.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Concerts of the year
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 08:04:32 PM »

Wow!  The irony...I'm actually working on my list of concerts right now.  Unfortunately, it's on a different computer and I'm away from that until next week. I'll try to rank some of the more recent ones, tho.

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
Concerts of the year
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 11:29:40 AM »

Here are my Top 5

1. Dan Hicks and The Hot Licks 11-20 Stuart Opera House Nelsonville, OH
2. Dan Hicks and The Hot Licks 12-16 Southgate House Newport, KY
3. All Tomorrow's Party (Modest Mouse, Lou Reed, The Walkman, and The Black Heart Procession) 11-6 Queen Mary Long Beach, CA
4. Tom Jones 11-28 House of Blues Chicago, IL
5. Jesse Malin 8-15 Southgate House Newport, KY

Since I couldn't narrow it down past the Top 5, here are the others that I thought deserved some praise in no particular order.

Curiosa Festival (The Cure, Muse, Interpol, Cooper Temple Clause) 8-3 Riverbend Cincinnati, OH
The Pixies w/ The Stills 10-4 Veteran's Memorial Columbus, OH
Interpol 10-16 Newport Columbus, OH
Snow Patrol 9-19 Newport Columbus, OH
Karate 10-15 Uncle Pleasant's Louisville, KY
Jonatha Brooke 9-30 20th Century Cincinnati, OH
McClusky 10-25 Southgate House Newport, KY
Los Honchos 8-12 Northside Tavern Cincinnati, OH

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Concerts of the year
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 05:31:18 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I think the one and only time I've seen a live band for more than five minutes this year was this past Friday night. Me and the Mrs. went to see one of her faves, Barenaked Ladies, for our anniversary. I'm not a big fan, but they certainly put on one hell of a show.

If it was their holiday show, I went with my lady too when it came through town two weeks ago.  Even though I knock them for being schticky at times, they are a great live band.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Concerts of the year
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 05:37:27 AM »

As far as my picks go keep in mind these are all MN shows.

Pixies (1st reunion show in April.  Awesome.)
Bob Dylan
Marah
Twilight Singers
Franz Ferdinand
Drive-By Truckers
Scissor Sisters
Broken Social Scene
Prince
The Shins
Wilco
The Arcade Fire
Barenaked Ladies

I went to more shows this year than in ones past.  Spent way too much money in the process.  Don't think I'll be repeating next year, except maybe if Pearl Jam tours.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
Concerts of the year
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 12:47:16 PM »

Y'know, I'd forgotten I also saw Seal this year. Great show. But for a guy that's into indie rock, only seeing Barenaked Ladies and Seal in a year's time span is kinda depressing.

IPrayForTang

• On my way to a nut flush!
  • City Elder
Concerts of the year
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 01:01:16 PM »

Hmmm....the Pogues in London last wednesday was fucking excellent.  First of all, Rafe came down to hang out.  That was absolutely awesome.  I mean, he showed up early, and to kill time before we were set to meet up, he went to the same fish and chips joint that I had gone to to kill time before we were set to meet up.  So we started drinking early.  Oh yeah....concert....right....

Shane MacGowan was awesome (read: drunk) and loud, so they turned down his mic early.  The rest of the band was tight, even if, of all fucking people in the band, the fucking tin whistle player (who was supposed to be kicked out in the early years anyway) seemed a bit put off that he wasn't the star of the show.  Cait O'Riordan looked GREAT.  She sounded great, too, but man did she look great.  There were christmas trees and fake snow and dancing and lots of beer.  It was incredible.

Rafe, next time I'm coming over sometime when you and the missus can get time off work and I'll make it up to your neck of the woods.  Good seeing you either way, though.  Thanks for showing us around.  And regarding the public toilets, you're welcome.

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
Concerts of the year
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2004, 01:30:24 PM »

The worst thing about the tin whistle player was that he now sports a "Gallagher" hairstyle, thus increasing his punchability rating fourfold.

I agree, the ex Mrs. Costello was on top form in every way - I'm glad you enjoyed the gig, it was great fun accompanying you and Big Sugar on a night unsoiled by the sound of bagpipes!
Am Meer

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Concerts of the year
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2004, 01:31:09 PM »

Both BTE shows we saw this year were stellar as always.

Also we saw Mutual Admiration Society in Chicago (Glen Phillips of Toad the Wet Sprocket and Nickel Creek, with John Paul Jones on Bass and Pete Thomas of the Attractions on drums) that was one hell of a good show.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up