Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old and Impatient  (Read 3667 times)

thepsychicpoirot

Old and Impatient
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2004, 10:20:24 AM »

I will always love going to a good show, regardless of age.  I'll be that old grey haired curmudgeon standing half-way back sipping a glass of water.

I've been excited to go to plenty of shows and been completely let down either by the band, the crowd or the venue.  Regardless, I can say I was there.  To an extent, I can put up with a couple of drunk or annoying fans, dirty bathrooms and even a bad sound mix, if I can see that the band might be just as frustrated as I am and still trying to do their best to entertain and put on a good show.  The Mike Watt show at the 20th Century was a good example.  The sound sucked and the crowd apparently wasn't expecting him to do his new jazz freak-out record start to finish, so that had the crowd a little off, but as always, he puts everything he has into performing and doing his best.  I've been to so many shows in this area that I can take one look at who is running the sound, if it's a local house sound guy, and tell you if the sound is going to suck.  Sudsy's was like that and Southgate is now (probably because they have the same sound guy doing some of the shows).

When you go to see some bands, like Guided by Voices, you better damn well expect a bunch of rowdy drunken fucks to be front and center.  But when you go to a show, like say Tortoise, then the expectation of drunken rowdiness is minimal.  Therefore, if some dumbass is woo hoo-ing in the middle of a song, he's likely going to ruin the show for me.  And since I don't start fights, part of my concentration is diverted from the band to tuning out the dumbasses.  That gets really annoying.  

I don't go to shows as much these days mainly because I live so flippin' far away from any decent venue.  Not that Dayton and Newport are that far away, but with a family and adult responsibilities it is harder to get away, unless I plan for it a few weeks in advance.  I find that a lot of times I have to decide at the last minute if I'm going or not, and that is frustrating.  It's also harder for the wife and I to get out together - just the two of us - whether it's for dinner, a movie or a concert because we really don't have anyone to watch the kids.  I'd take them with me if I could.  I'm usually the one to go out and do stuff and although she doesn't care if I go to a show, sometimes I feel guilty as Hell just leaving her home with the kids knowing that if we had someone to watch them, she'd be right there with me having a good time.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
Old and Impatient
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2004, 10:31:56 AM »

Quote from: "Juliana"
this huge group of tall drunk frat boys pushed their way literally right in front of me.  They were pushing and shoving.
I noticed a ton of college kids at the BTE show this fall.  That's great, but yeah, some of them can be rude (as you described)!  Funny though, you'd think it would be like that at the Cult shows I've been to, but usually guys let us in front of them!    :-k

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Old and Impatient
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2004, 11:34:43 AM »

Quote from: "kcneon"
at the BTE show this fall.

I'm sorry to have to ask this, but who's BTE?  Is that an acronym for something?

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
Old and Impatient
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2004, 11:38:35 AM »

BTE is Better Than Ezra, mistergugi.

thepsychicpoirot

Old and Impatient
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2004, 11:40:04 AM »

The Boo Radley's were Better Than Ezra when I saw them play together at Bogarts some years ago.

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
Old and Impatient
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2004, 12:01:09 PM »

Quote from: "thepsychicpilot"
The Boo Radley's were Better Than Ezra when I saw them play together at Bogarts some years ago.

Ahhh, the Boo's. What a great band they were live.

I go to a mere fraction of the gigs I used to in my teens and early/mid 20's. I still enjoy them tremendously, however I no longer stand in the front 6-10 rows of any amplified concert, as my hearing is a little shot from over abuse, and I find that I get wound up by the moshpit, thus spoiling the gig for those around me. Locally, the music scene is rubbish, so if there is anything decent to see it involves a trek up to London and the expense of a hotel. That said, it's my hope that this year I can get to a gig per month or so, because I know Karen would love to see all of these ridiculously-named bands I keep banging on about.
Am Meer

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Old and Impatient
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2004, 01:20:28 PM »

Quote from: "MissKitty"
I am old.

I am older.

Grumble
Mumble
Feckoff you whippersnapper
Piss
Moan
French Toast Please
Opulence. I has it.

TayFo

• City Elder
Old and Impatient
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2005, 04:09:42 PM »

I will always love going to a good show, regardless of age.  I'll be that old grey haired curmudgeon standing half-way back sipping a glass of water.
damn it . . . i was planning to be that guy. i still love going to shows. the only difference is i'm less inclined to go to out of town shows. i only went to about 6 out of town in 2004.

thepsychicpoirot

Old and Impatient
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2005, 05:06:05 PM »

You'll be that old bald grey-haired guy standing there popping water pills right along with me.

Watershots anyone?  Where's my water bong...

TayFo

• City Elder
Old and Impatient
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2005, 07:07:29 PM »

You'll be that old bald grey-haired guy
Hey . . . i've got hair again . . .  by the way get me a beer.  ](*,)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up