Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carnivale  (Read 1486 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Carnivale
« on: January 06, 2005, 10:59:26 AM »

Has anybody seen this show?  We'd never heard of it until we saw the DVD of the first season recently.

Apparently it's about a group of carnival workers in the 1930.  The descriptions make it sound pretty interesting, but then again, they always do.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Doug

Carnivale
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 01:49:57 PM »

We've been watching it off and on.  We never caught the first season, so we're having trouble picking up the story.  It's twisted enough to catch my interest, but I always feel like I'm watching someone's bizzar nightmare.  I have no idea what the plot is.  I'm gonna' have to look for the first season.  Maybe it's at the library.

Mr Pink

• missing in action
  • City Elder
  • aggressively lazy
    • MySpace
Carnivale
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 02:17:25 PM »

This is one of my favorite shows.

The easiest and most simple way to describe it is "Twin Peaks" meets "The Grapes of Wrath".

There are 2 storylines going on: One is about a young man who has joined up with the travelling carnival, but he has the ability to heal people by laying hands on them. The other is about a minister who has the ability to show people the evil that they've done by laying hands on them and he can also kill through telekinesis.

Somehow the 2 main characters are connected, but we're not sure how yet.
[size=9]Forza Azzurri![/size]

Marlowe

• foppish twit
  • City Elder
Carnivale
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 05:30:45 PM »

the adverts basically say the stories are merging into a broader arc of the young dude vs. the preacher dude. dunno if that means the preacher is bad, or has become an avenging angel or what. i'll tune in. i drifted away from it about midway through the season last year, but i'll give it another shot.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
Carnivale
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 08:55:35 AM »

Hey, we have a thread for this on randomville?  Sweet!  It's amazing what you find when you're trolling for other stuff.

This week's episode was another "Holy shit, no they didn't!" episode for me.
Tar and feathers.  So didn't see that coming.  Til I saw the tar, then I knew the feathers would soon follow.  And then the next sequence of events was kind of obvious, although I never really thought
Jonesy's leg being healed
was ever going to happen. So that was nice, and it will be very interesting to see other characters' reactions to that.

I now like Iris more than ever.  In fact, I think she's now my favorite character, which makes me happy because I don't think I really had a favorite character.  Yeah, apparently all you have to do to become my favorite character is
beat someone to death with an oar.  Good to know, I guess.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

Doug

Carnivale
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 09:30:33 AM »

I've given this show a chance, but I decided I'm really not into it.  My wife watches it all the time though.  I'll usually be sitting at the computer killing mutants and demons and glance over at it from time to time.  Saw a bit of the "tar and feathers" thing.  For some reason, it bothers me that I don't like this show.  I should like it, but I don't.  I finally figured out why.  I don't like the time period or the location.  If it wasn't set in some depression era, gritty desert, then I'd probably like it more.  It's just so sparse and brown/yellow.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
Carnivale
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 09:43:17 AM »

Quote from: "DogStarMan"
I don't like the time period or the location.  If it wasn't set in some depression era, gritty desert, then I'd probably like it more.  It's just so sparse and brown/yellow.

That's actually my favorite time period, but I can see how some people would find it very off-putting.  There is a reason they call it a depression, after all.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
Carnivale
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 03:22:57 PM »

I'm finally getting to see this, got season 1 (well, 12 episodes of it--dunno if there are more) on dvd. My weekend is now complete.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

bluebastard

• City Elder
  • No more Wilco
    • portfolio
Carnivale
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 04:59:47 PM »

Quote from: "cuddlyevil"
I'm finally getting to see this, got season 1 (well, 12 episodes of it--dunno if there are more) on dvd. My weekend is now complete.

You'll be hooked.  I'm in anticipation mode for the airing of the finale of season 2 Sunday night.  

And I would say to anyone who had trouble with some of the first season, the second season is faster paced with all the great storytelling of the first season.  Honestly, no matter how this season ends, I will wait on pins and needles for next season.  It is by far my favorite show on cable television.
Pages: [1]   Go Up