- 6 (27.3%)
21-30
- 2 (9.1%)
30+
- 7 (31.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: January 06, 2005, 03:21:03 PM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How many books did you read in 2004?  (Read 3989 times)

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
How many books did you read in 2004?
« on: January 06, 2005, 03:21:03 PM »

Hey!  Like the subject says, how many books did you read in 2004?
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 03:26:21 PM »

I know it was more than 1, but less than 10.

Doug

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 03:35:20 PM »

Not as many as I would have liked to.  They were mostly Do-It-Yourself and How-To tomes.  I'm currently rediscovering my love of reading with "Dress Your Family in Courdoroy and Denim" by David Sedaris.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 03:38:49 PM »

Quote from: "DogStarMan"
Not as many as I would have liked to.  They were mostly Do-It-Yourself and How-To tomes.  I'm currently rediscovering my love of reading with "Dress Your Family in Courdoroy and Denim" by David Sedaris.

Yeah I didn't read as many as I would have liked to either.  This year I hope to change that.

I did read that David Sedaris book.  I liked it a lot, but some of his older stuff was better.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Doug

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 03:52:17 PM »

Quote from: "thelunarbee"
I did read that David Sedaris book.  I liked it a lot, but some of his older stuff was better.

I love all of his writing.  It sucks me in and I can't put the book down until I pass out.  That's how I've fallen asleep the last two nights.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 04:05:25 PM »

I'm a big reader.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 04:08:45 PM »

I've read somewhere between 1-10 last year. All of them were nonfiction. Parenting books, travel guides, health books, stuff like that.

I would like to start reading fiction again but lately I haven't had the patience for it.
Well.......

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 04:19:03 PM »

a LOT.  I'd say I read at least 60.  Probably more.  Before I started working, I was reading 2-3 books per week, and now that I'm working, I'm down to about one book a week.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 04:21:01 PM »

Quote from: "Atzend"
I know it was more than 1, but less than 10.
What Atzend said.  

Since picking up "Immediate Action" over the holiday, I can tell I'll probably pick up the pace this year.  Sometimes I sort of get out of the mood (and habit).  Next week the new Douglas Coupland book comes out...so by the middle of the month I'll have read 2 already!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 04:22:49 PM »

Somewhere between 11-20.  I got on a kick for a while, now I'm back to reading the newspaper and doing budgets during lunch.

rva

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 05:31:43 PM »

hmm, hard to say.  I read a lot of how-to stuff as well as philosophy, and also reference/coffee table-type stuff.  So there's a lot of books where I don't read chapters here and there.

There's also stuff like guitar or drum instruction books where I "read" the whole book, but it doesn't count since I didn't learn the techniques or do all the exercises.  I also I read a ton of magazines.

All that aside, I probably read about 25 books cover-to-cover.  Pretty evenly split between fiction and non-fiction.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 05:37:57 PM »

Over 30 for me. I tend to read a lot of historical, non-fiction and biographies. My favorite read of last year was The Fall of Berlin 1945 by Antony Beevor, followed closely by Stalingrad from the same author.

And Lunarbee, you can just STOP with the Peep Show Mark comparisons right now!
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 05:58:21 PM »

I think that last year was extremely work-intensive for me, and I only managed about 15 books - mainly when I was working abroad and staying in hotels. Years previous, when I used public transport to go to work, i'd get through an average of two books a week.

A case in point - I re-read "A day in the life of Ivan Denisovitch" (for the 483rd time!) by Solzhenitsyn, "Black Dahlia" by James Ellroy and "Mulengro" by Charles de Lint over my Christmas holiday, whilst perusing the odd chapter from "The Great Indie Discography" and "Bauhaus" ( about the art movement, not the band) by Magdalene Droste. All in the space of a fortnight.

Having holidays from work is brilliant!
Am Meer

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 06:22:25 PM »

Quote from: "MissKitty"
Over 30 for me. I tend to read a lot of historical, non-fiction and biographies. My favorite read of last year was The Fall of Berlin 1945 by Antony Beevor, followed closely by Stalingrad from the same author.

And Lunarbee, you can just STOP with the Peep Show Mark comparisons right now!

Meh heh heh.. silly Kitty.  That didn't even occur to me until you mentioned it.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 10:03:20 PM »

Quote from: "DogStarMan"

I got that one for Christmas. Haven't cracked it yet, because I've been too busy with "America: the Book," to be followed closely by "Luxembourg: the Pamphlet".

I really don't know how many books I read, but my guess is around 30. Then there's my FourFourTwo magazine every month, which cuts into reading time. And I read a couple of big books last year.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up