Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Douglas Coupland  (Read 1824 times)

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
New Douglas Coupland
« on: January 11, 2005, 12:00:07 PM »

Hey KC, did you know that his new book is coming out this month?  Eleanor Rigby is the title.  Here's a brief description:

Annotation. A riveting, witty, and profound story of loneliness and connection from internationally bestselling author Douglas Coupland. The 1997 night that Hale-Bopp streaks across the skies over Vancouver, Liz Dunn has nothing in her life but impending oral surgery and an armful of schmaltzy video rentals to get her through her solitary convalescence in her sterile condo. She's overweight, crabby, and plain, but behind her eyes lurk whole universes that she's never had the opportunity to express. Just as Liz makes a quiet decision to seek peace in her life rather than certainty, along comes another comet, in the form of a young man admitted to the local hospital with her name and number inscribed on his Medic Alert bracelet: In case of emergency, contact Liz Dunn. A charming lost soul and a strange visionary, Jeremy upends Liz's quiet existence, triggering a chain of events that take her to the other side of the world and back, endangering her life just as a real chance at happiness finally seems within reach. By turns funny and heartbreaking, Eleanor Rigby is a fast-paced read and a haunting exploration of the ways in which loneliness affects us all.
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
New Douglas Coupland
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 12:46:34 PM »

I used to LOVE Douglas Coupland, but I think he lost his way a few books back.  I try to get into his newer stuff, but I just cannot.   I read a bad review of this new book somewhere too.  It's like he's now trying to throw oddball stuff in just for the sole purpose of being oddball - with no regard to the characters or story or theme or anything.    Oh well.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
New Douglas Coupland
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 02:48:30 PM »

Yeah...I'm trying to finish my current book so I can pick it up this weekend--I think it's out this week.  I try to go into his books with a blank slate, because I know that most of the critics don't get Coupland to start with.  I understand what redbobsled is saying, but there is usually some redeeming quality.  

This title sounds a little more depressing than his others, don't you think?  But I didn't think I'd care for All Families are Psychotic & I ended up enjoying it.  What I'm really excited to hear is that he may be working on a sequel to Microserfs!!  Anyone hear anything about that?  Supposedly titled jPod.  killer.

Trixi, let me know if you are going to read this & we can compare notes!

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
New Douglas Coupland
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 03:31:29 PM »

Life after god was awfully depressing.  One of the more depressing books I've ever read, but I like that one a lot.  If you guys like this one, maybe I'll give it a try.  I read everything he wrote in its entirety through polaroids from the dead/microserfs (I forget which was later) - and loved it.  But then I couldn't get through miss Wyoming, Girlfriend in a coma, or all families are psychotic, and just gave up.  Are there any of his later books that you feel are worth a shot?

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
New Douglas Coupland
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 08:36:54 PM »

I think the only recent title you missed was the last one Hey, Nostradomus.  If you think Life After God was a downer....well, I don't think I'd recommend it to you, redbob!  It revolves around a shooting at a high school.  Probably my least favorite of his books.

But no matter what...I'm just giddy about a sequel to Microserfs!  I've got to find out more about it.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
New Douglas Coupland
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 09:07:27 AM »

OK, I'm in the middle of it.  There is a twist (well, I guess it's a twist) that I wasn't expecting.  But overall the book is a snooze.  That being said, Coupland's style hasn't gone downhill--just subject matter.  I still enjoy his writing.

Sometime this week I'm going to check out what the gang back on the Yahoo Coupland group are thinking about this one.  Anyone else reading it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up