Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 506   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Musings  (Read 437300 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: Random Musings
« Reply #7200 on: November 08, 2017, 03:28:27 PM »

You know, in Planet Earth 2 (or whatever it was called) they did a whole episode on animal life of cities, and they sent a crew to NYC to film some birds of prey that live here. The abundance of both pigeons and rats, plus the high structures like bridges and buildings for nesting, makes the city a wonderful playground for them.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7201 on: November 08, 2017, 03:42:23 PM »

tnx.  sounds like a lot of fun.  do they do one in australia? 
poach eggs, not elephants

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #7202 on: November 08, 2017, 05:36:59 PM »

You know, in Planet Earth 2 (or whatever it was called) they did a whole episode on animal life of cities, and they sent a crew to NYC to film some birds of prey that live here. The abundance of both pigeons and rats, plus the high structures like bridges and buildings for nesting, makes the city a wonderful playground for them.

I never thought about that, but it makes a lot of sense.

I just would have assumed that the only birds of prey in NYC were the ones Williamsburg hipsters kept as pets.

"My favorite pet? A red-mottled raptor. You wouldn't have heard of it before."
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7203 on: November 08, 2017, 08:56:12 PM »

There is an osprey nest right next to my office. 

It drives me crazy, because someone put cams in the nest and on surrounding buildings.  So people get all into it.  I will go to people’s offices and they will be looking at it like “ooh, the osprey is flying around!”

One of those cams is one floor above where I work, on our side of the building.  So they could literally just look out their window and get a better view of the osprey in real life.

There are raptors everywhere.  In major cities and in just about every suburban park or golf course.  I think people just don’t know how to look for them.  People do not typically look in trees or way high up.  Which are the two places you will see them.

Look way up in the sky for a bit.  You will likely see some big birds gliding around looking like shallow V’s.   90% of the time, it is a vulture.  But 10% is enough that you will see a raptor just about every day if you have a decent vantage from a high window.  Then you just learn to tell the raptors from the vultures.

Last month I was hiking and I saw a red tailed hawk eating a snake in a paw paw tree.  I took a picture of it and showed my coworker.  She was amazed by all of it.  That there were snakes in Richmond.  That paw paw trees exist.  That you could get so close to a hawk.  But I took that picture right off Brown Island, maybe only a ten minute walk from our office.

Another thing I notice is that people who do not hunt or fish are amazingly shitty at spotting wildlife.  My section used to go out for walks along the river for lunch.  And me and my boss would just walk along like “That’s a nice size bass.” “yep.”  “Man, the deer really like this grass.” “Uh-huh.”
No one else ever knew what we were talking about. 

We once took a walk on a nice hot summer day and passed about 20 logs with dozens of turtles on them.  It wasn’t really a big enough deal to point out.  But later when we were walking in my boss was like “Ugh, back to work.  I wish I were one of those turtles.”  And everyone was like “Where?!?  There’s a turtle?!?” No of course there is not a turtle in the middle of downtown, dumbass. But you just walked by like 100 of them and you didn’t see any?

There is some kind of spotted falcon that hangs out in the pine tree in my backyard sometimes.  I don’t know what kind.  There are a bunch that look similar.  I have not seen an owl, but I know there is one living nearby because it shits on my deck constantly. 

I also know that there are not nearly as many owls in my neighborhood as my neighbor thinks because every morning when I see her she says some dumb shit like “The owls are loud this morning!”  Those are not owls you are hearing.  Those are mourning doves. 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7204 on: November 08, 2017, 09:15:41 PM »

I have a book on the high line.  It has some pictures in it from before they fixed it up.  They are amazing in that it just took like ten years for it to look like a wetland/grassland area. You would never know it was in NY city.  You wouldn’t even think it was farmland.  It looked like some pristine area in Alaska or something.

It’s fun to look at the flora.  It has less invasives than you would think, because without human interference, the natives can hold their own.  You also see a lot of plants that are native that you see in gardens, but you have never seen like a whole field of them in the wild.  There is one photo of a bunch of bindweed, and it’s more beautiful than anything Piet Oudolf planted.  And bind weed is everywhere in lawns.  People just yank it before it flowers because it twines over everything.

The Piet Oudolf gardens are still amazing though.  The way he manages to invoke like these huge swaths of meadowin a small spaces is crazy.  The average planting depth on the high line is something like a foot.  You wouldn’t think you could grow like giant grasses, shrubs, and even small trees in those tiny, shallow spaces.  It’s insanely high maintenance, but not because the plants need help.  It’s because they have to constantly be pruned, thinned, or pulled so they do not take over.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:05:38 PM by Zafer Kaya »

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7205 on: November 09, 2017, 10:43:54 AM »

that's in nyc? 

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7206 on: November 09, 2017, 10:52:24 AM »

Last month I was hiking and I saw a red tailed hawk eating a snake in a paw paw tree.  I took a picture of it and showed my coworker.  She was amazed by all of it.  That there were snakes in Richmond.  That paw paw trees exist.  That you could get so close to a hawk.  But I took that picture right off Brown Island, maybe only a ten minute walk from our office.

i'm more amazed that someone knew what a paw paw tree is.  despite it being ohio's state tree, people from ohio have no idea what you're talking about.  there's a kickass yearly folk festival in its honor outside athens.  paw paw everything, most delicious of course is paw paw beer from about five area semi o.g. breweries 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7207 on: November 09, 2017, 12:28:33 PM »

She did not know what a paw paw tree was.  I had to explain it to her.

The paw paw is making a big comeback for millenial hipsters.  It's local food for the localvore foodies, and a native plant for the native gardeners.  They are actually not bad backyard trees, because you can get the cultivated dwarf varieties that max out between 10 and 20 feet.  The real ones in the wild are like 30 foot monsters though.

I like them, but I don't love them.  It's kind of a unique flavor, so it's worthwhile tasting them.  But it's not like something you've never tasted before either, just a combination of familiar tastes.  I would say like mango and banana with a hint of citrus.

I'm not that into flavored beer.  Beer with passion fruit just tastes like beer with passion fruit.  Beer with paw just tastes like beer with paw paw.  You can get funky with goses or whatnot, but then I don't consider that beer anymore.  More like an alcoholic slushy.  Tasty, but not beer.

A lot of people make moonshine from paw paw fruit, but all moonshine just tastes like moonshine to me. 

I made a paw paw cheesecake once.  I thought it was going to be awesome, but it was rather mediocre.  The flavor was okay, but the consistency was kind of slimy and a little gross.  I made it stupidly though.  I just like mashed up the paw paw into the mix.  Cheesecake is already kind of mushy, and then you add like banana texture puree into it and bad things happen mouthfeel-wise.  Also cheesecake is already kind of like banana and then you add banana flavoring and it was just sort of too much like eating a gigantic banana.  And I don't like bananas. 

If I did it again I would really mush up the paw paw a lot more and strain it so you just add a little paw paw juice to the cheesecake mix as flavoring.  That would probably work.  But then you would need to mix it with some other flavor.  And I don't know what flavor complements paw paw.  You can't just do the pecans on top as crust thing.

In the end, paw paw probably works best as a cream pie.  Just make banana cream pie except with paw paw instead.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7208 on: November 09, 2017, 01:48:50 PM »

or a custard.  we've got two paw paw's in our backyard.  probably be a few years before they fruit

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7209 on: November 10, 2017, 08:38:13 AM »

i ah, sorry.  the paw paw is the state fruit of ohio.  not tree.  jesus.  i can't believe i did that

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #7210 on: November 10, 2017, 09:32:51 AM »

i ah, sorry.  the paw paw is the state fruit of ohio.  not tree.  jesus.  i can't believe i did that

i can't believe the internet wasn't all over you for that.

black racer is the state reptile!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7211 on: November 10, 2017, 10:05:37 AM »

I was like, "isn't it the buckeye tree?" but then I thought maybe the buckeye was the state nut.

I'm just nutty, I guess.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7212 on: November 10, 2017, 10:09:08 AM »

i was getting ahead of myself trying to one up zafer's snobbery.  i had a second thought when i thought of the buckeye, but yeah, just tossed it off as the nut.  again, i apologize

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #7213 on: November 10, 2017, 12:53:41 PM »

State fruits, state nuts, state trees...all of it is ridiculous, if you ask me.

The official state dog of North Carolina is the Plott Hound.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7214 on: November 10, 2017, 02:51:35 PM »

indigenous is next to righteousness
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 506   Go Up