Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 501   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Musings  (Read 414517 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Random Musings
« Reply #7440 on: February 12, 2019, 07:41:29 PM »

But all you're saying is you like pressure cooking.  A stovetop pressure cooker allows anyone to make hard boil eggs with however many burners available to use at the same time. 

Instant Pot is just a pressure cooker with a built in timer.  That's all it is. 

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7441 on: February 13, 2019, 02:13:35 PM »

i can cook two cups of dry beans in an hour and a half.  we tend to have ass loads of butternut squash this time of year, twenty minutes.  taking a carrot shredder to one of those things is not a fun culinary experience.  my only beef with the instant pot (outside of how bulky it is) is that it's too modern.  i felt pretty dumb explaining it to my indian friend.  i had no idea what a pressure cooker was supposed to look like (wife bought this one).  she showed me her pressure cooker. aww neat! man, those things don't take up anyroom at all!  i don't necessarily crave authenticity in the kitchen but i at least want to attempt the traditional approach.  but i told her i could cook dry beans in hour and a half.  hmmm.... she said

i use once or twice a week.  mostly for beans.  my buddy bought one for yogurt

i'll never use the instant pot for slow cooking.  love the slow cooker.  periodically standing in front of it.  just standing
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7442 on: February 13, 2019, 03:21:54 PM »

The Instant Pot is actually slower than an old-school stove top pressure cooker.  They take longer to get to pressure. At least in my house, although tbf I have gas so it may be different on electric stoves. And IMO, they are harder to handle as far as getting or pouring food into or out of them and harder to clean.

Plus if you really like to live life on the edge, you can crank the pressure higher on a traditional stove top model. You can save some serious time that way if you don't blow yourself or your food up.  You can also definitely save time on pressure release if you are prepared to risk hot steam shooting at right at you and literally melting your face.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:26:32 PM by Zafer Kaya »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7443 on: February 14, 2019, 11:30:54 AM »

I bought a smartwatch to help me get fit.  The smartwatch lets me set goals for myself.  They're supposed to be fitness goals, but I have so little faith in my ability to meet a fitness goal that my only smartwatch goal is to recharge the smartwatch 10 times.

I have so little faith in my ability to meet my smartwatch usage goal that it was pointless to set that as a goal in the watch itself, so I set it as a goal on the habit tracker in my smartphone.

My other goal on the smartphone habit tracker is to actually use my habit tracker.  But I have so little faith in my ability to do that, that it was pointless to set that goal on my smartphone habit tracker.

Which is why I have a piece of paper scotch-taped to the front of my smartphone that says "Use habit tracker!"

If you're betting on whether I meet my fitness goals, take the under.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7444 on: February 15, 2019, 01:32:02 PM »

i've heard told that it takes twenty one days for a habit to develop and three years for a behavior to be in bed with your dna
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7445 on: February 15, 2019, 02:37:31 PM »

Yeah, that's what they always say but I don't know what they mean.

I've done tons of shit for twenty one days and then not stuck with it.  Like pretty much every workout regime and diet I've ever tried. 

It's like the "10,000 hours to mastery" rule.  How are we spending these 10,000 hours?  I've spent easily 10,000 hours listening to music but I'm not a professional level musician or even a professional level music critic.  Is there such a thing as professional level music listener?  I guess I have spent 10,000 hours walking.  But so has everyone else so 10,000 hours is certainly not enough to master walking at a "professional" level.  You can master walking in 500 hours and then after that no one is better than anyone else, we're all tied for first.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7446 on: February 19, 2019, 10:51:41 PM »

I wonder how Fed Ex shipping works as far as hubs go.

I order something from Texas.  It was standard shipping, which is 3-5 business days.   Fed Ex sent me the arrival date, which is February 25th.  That is 9 days shipping. 10 if you count President's Day.

Here's the thing though.  It got to Nashville in 3 days.  Not even business days, they were moving it on a Saturday. 

But then from Nashville, it went to Maryland.  So they drove it past my house.  But I figure, well maybe Maryland is where they have a central sporting facility and Maryland is just a few hours, so they can have it Richmond in one day from there, easily.

Except then it went from Maryland to West Virginia.  Which makes no sense.  And then from West Virginia to North Carolina.  Charlotte, NC.  Which is really about the same distance as Nashville.  It defeats the purpose of hubs if it's not going directly to whatever is the hub.

So then I thought, maybe there us some rule that a package cannot sit at a facility for longer than two days.  But if that's the case, why not deliver it to me?  From Md to Richmond is closer than Charlotte, plus all the distance it went to get to Charlotte.  And then you also get the package to me in five business days.

The last Fed Ex package I got was delayed due to weather.  That was that polar vortex day.  Except the thing is, it was like 50 degrees in Richmond that day, and the package was already in Richmond.  It just had to be delivered to my house.  I could have driven ten minutes to get it had they let me.

So then I thought, well maybe it's just easier or there us some union thing where if there us a weather situation, they cancel all US deliveries that day as a matter of policy.  Except then it was on the news that some Fed Ex person actually froze to death in Minnoesota or someplace.  Why is that dude having to work and dying of hypothermia in subzero temperatures, and Fed Ex shuts down in Richmond where people were not even wearing jackets?

I'm not even mad as a consumer.  I'm just wondering how they stay in business seemingly wasting so much money and literally killing people even if no one complains about late deliveries.

Or if you are going to have shitty service, at least lie or something.  Tell me my package will be there in 5 days then claim it was delivered or they could not find my address of there was a crash or something.  Don't brazenly send me an email saying it will take ten days and then let me track my package as it makes a pointless 1500 mile circle around my house. 

Amazon never fucks up.  I've ordered stuff on Prime two day shipping and it shows up the same day. And it's a Sunday.  Not that I want workers pissing in bottles to get me my stuff on time.  I'm saying like, I'm cool with 5 days.  Just get it to me and take your time and do it right and then take the money you save and pay your workers more.  Or charge me less.  Hell, pocket the money if you want, even.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7447 on: February 20, 2019, 11:06:23 AM »

In 2002 to 2004 I worked for an architecture firm near DC. During that time the company started using (not UPS or FedEx....I think it was DHL? We'll say for now) DHL. The business dealt with us making a product (typically a drawing) and then needing to send it to our client on very specific deadlines. We used DHL and we kept getting poor results - the drawings just were not getting to their destinations when the clients needed them. One of the higher ups insisted we should switch to FedEx things would improve.

We switched to FedEx.
All of our delivery problems seemed to evaporate overnight.

I mean, that was a long time ago, I know, so things might have changed. But man, did that really shine a positive light on FedEx.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7448 on: February 23, 2019, 01:52:54 PM »

This one goes out to my homie euro60.

What is the big deal about NFC payment?  You have your phone in your pocket or purse.  You have your wallet I'm your pocket or purse.  Either way involves pulling an item out of your pocket or purse.

Your secondary action is to pull out your credit card from your wallet.  Or to futz around with your phone to turn it on and then turn on NFC.  Which is actually a little more bothersome, not that anyone should be botheredby  a five second process you carry out when you are waiting in line anyway.

The only way NFC saves you even a miniscule amount of effort you shouldn't care a oit is if you always have your phone already in your hand and NFC on.  In which case you may want to rethink your life priorities, social manners. and securityi orotocols.

You know what used to happen when I was a kid and people used a credit card?  Some stores would have a big book that had every credit card number in it.  You would give them your card a d they would flip through the book until they found your number.  Or, they would pick up a phone and call the credit card company, wait on hold until someone answered the phone, and then read the number over the phone to the other person to verify.  Now THAT was a pain in the ass.  Getting a card out of your wallet and swiping it is nothing.

I mean, maybe if you no longer carried a wallet at all then NFC would be useful.  But if you drive, you still need to carry ID.  You used to need an ID to use a credit card back in the day, too.

Chris

• Citizen
« Reply #7449 on: March 04, 2019, 02:38:13 PM »

RIP Luke Perry, Keith Flint, and....

They always come in threes.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #7450 on: March 05, 2019, 07:20:50 AM »

RIP Luke Perry, Keith Flint, and....

They always come in threes.

Katherine Helmond?

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #7451 on: March 05, 2019, 09:32:15 AM »

Poor Mona...
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #7452 on: March 05, 2019, 09:54:18 AM »

Not to get all maudlin, but I hit my 3 with the author of two of my favorite novels (Andrew McGahan: 1988/White Earth), an actor in two of my favorite movies (Bruno Ganz: Wings of Desire/Downfall) and the face of some of my favorite music during my college years and a top 5 show (Keith Flint).  Fuck cancer and suicide.  Fuck them both.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #7453 on: March 07, 2019, 10:56:49 AM »

The Instant Pot is actually slower than an old-school stove top pressure cooker.  They take longer to get to pressure. At least in my house, although tbf I have gas so it may be different on electric stoves. And IMO, they are harder to handle as far as getting or pouring food into or out of them and harder to clean.

Plus if you really like to live life on the edge, you can crank the pressure higher on a traditional stove top model. You can save some serious time that way if you don't blow yourself or your food up.  You can also definitely save time on pressure release if you are prepared to risk hot steam shooting at right at you and literally melting your face.

I have a friend who posts all of her Instant Pot creations on Facebook. We get it. You're cooking stuff.

We're about to go on a group trip with this friend. Out of State. She suggested that she could bring the Instant Pot with her and make us yogurt for breakfast.

She wants to travel with this appliance and make us a food that is literally an entire aisle at the grocery store.

WHILE WE'RE ON VACATION.

This is the fanaticism that I don't understand with this appliance.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7454 on: March 07, 2019, 02:43:05 PM »

The stupidest thing about making yogurt is that one of the ingredients of homemade yogurt is:  yogurt.  SO YOU WENT TO THE STORE AND BOUGHT YOGURT ANYWAY.'
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 501   Go Up