Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Musings  (Read 435949 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Random Musings
« Reply #7560 on: October 29, 2019, 12:28:51 PM »

It was exactly 90 years ago today that the stock market crashed and set into motion the Great Depression...

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7561 on: October 31, 2019, 11:16:56 AM »

I'm on Facebook and Instagram.  It's more confusing than I thought it would be.  Still trying to figure it out.

Facebook beat Q3 earnings by 29% yesterday, so everyone keep using it so I can retire early.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #7562 on: October 31, 2019, 03:37:39 PM »

ZK joined Instagram yesterday and broke it! It was down for quite a while, so WELL DONE on your first day!

Also, don't forget to return the follows!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 03:41:21 PM by MissKitty »
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7563 on: November 01, 2019, 12:00:05 PM »

What the fuck, man?  Why is this shit not in chronological order?  Is there a way to organize any of this?

What does it mean when someone adds something to my timeline?  Did they specifically add it to MY timeline or did they just post something that everyone sees and because I follow them I see it, too?  When I comment on someone else's stuff who sees it?  Why do I see shit that seems to be from people I do not know?  Why does it keep prompting me to add what appears to be various members of a biker gang to my friend's list?  What is the difference between the heart and the thumb?  What is the difference between Messenger and just like chatting in Facebook?  Do they not understand how disorganized and confusing this is?

All those years people have bored me with their complaints about Facebook comments have suddenly been given context and meaning.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #7564 on: November 01, 2019, 01:09:43 PM »

Whoo boy, where to start? It might actually be more beneficial if we just come over and walk ya through it. Randomvillians, who's up for a roadtrip to Richmond? :)

1. Sadly Facebook is NOT in chronological order anymore. It used to be, but that was like a decade ago. You just kinda gotta roll with it.
2. When someone adds something specifically to your timeline, it's because they put it there especially for you. Your friends can all see it, too, if they visit your page. Understand that most folks do NOT visit each other's pages on a regular basis, if at all, so if other people see something a friend has posted to your timeline/page, it's usually because they are also friends with that person and it's turned up in their timeline because you're all friends.
3. When you comment on someone else's stuff, your friends can see it. If you don't want certain people to see stuff, you can change that particular person to "acquaintance" instead of "friend" and then set your default to "friends, except acquaintances" when you post stuff. Then your friends see stuff you post and comment on, but acquaintances do not. (this feature has been a big help for me to keep the family peace with some of my hillbilly relatives)
4. If you see stuff from people you don't know, it's probably someone else's friend commenting on a post that you have also interacted with (a like or comment).
5. Can't help ya with the biker thing, although that might be one of my hillbilly relatives that I somehow failed to contain. :)
6. Thumbs up = LIKE, heart = LOVE. There are also emojis for laughing, sad, surprised and angry/mad.
7. Messenger is kinda like a PM here on Randomville, and chatting on FB is like posting a message here on Randomville.

You'll get it eventually. And when you do, they'll change everything again. It's kinda like Facebook law or something.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7565 on: November 01, 2019, 01:44:32 PM »

5. Can't help ya with the biker thing, although that might be one of my hillbilly relatives that I somehow failed to contain. :)

The companies know who you are friends with, and their algorithm just has them suggesting new friends to you endlessly. Usually it's people that you have multiple third-connections to and there's a good chance you know them. You can never exhaust this list of suggestions - it will continuously just find someone that you haven't linked to, but that you have a lot of common connectors with.  (Does that english even make sense?)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7566 on: November 01, 2019, 02:22:20 PM »

So none of this stuff is truly secure or private in, it's just a matter of whether you get notified when something happens or where it ends up on your fed. 

So let's say someone has a post or a picture. 

-If they just generically post it, then everyone can see it who has access to view their account based on their account settings.  But it receives no priority or does not generate any notifications or whatever.

-If they specifically share it with me, then I get notified and/or it jumps into my feed on some higher priority basis.  But all their friends can still see their post if they wanted?  And all my friends can see the post in my timeline if they care, but they probably won't because it will be buried amongst all the other noise.

If I "comment" on that post, then everyone with access to my timeline can now see my comment.  But now they can see the original post, too.  Even if it wasn't originally shared with them.  If they are friends with my friend as well or Facebook somehow deems there is some close connection, then my comment may show up prominently in their feed.  Otherwise, while they technically CAN see my comment, they probably won't.  Because Facebook is going to be like "Yeah, this person knows Zafer, but they don't know any of these other people and they don't live in Richmond so they probably don't give a crap about the serial shitter in Willow Lawn."

And like, even if my account were totally private but I commented on someone's post, my comment is visible to that person's friends and anyone who can see THEIR timeline.

So it's really like a super noisy bar.  Things are more or less private not because what you say is discreet but simply because it's so loud it gets buried in the noise, and the vast majority of the world has no interest in trying to eavesdrop on your conversation.  And  what I see on my homepage is just Facebook's algorithm determining which conversations might be interesting to me. 

And I suppose me liking stuff also then goes into this algorithm and FB then might make it more visible to those that follow me and me more visible to those who also liked the same thing?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7567 on: November 01, 2019, 02:22:40 PM »

I regret this decision.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #7568 on: November 01, 2019, 04:30:03 PM »

Yeah, that's pretty much it in a nutshell - emphasis on NUTS. It really is kinda like a super noisy bar. A bar where you are likely to run into friends and shoot the shit, have some laughs and maybe even witness a fight or three (hello, politics). But it's the bar where you know everyone will be, so you suffer through the noise and bullshit.

BTW, if you haven't already had it recommended to you, there is a private WOXY group you can join and most of the old boarders are on there. There's a master file that gives the board name and IRL name of each person. Let us know if you want an invite.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7569 on: November 01, 2019, 05:08:44 PM »

I just reached peak middle aged single guy.

I was walking from my office to the bathroom and about halfway there, I just unzipped my fly for I don't know what reason but I do this at home because when you live by yourself who really cares if your fly is up or down or when you zip it?

The thing is, I fully realized immediately what I had just done, and I was still like "ehh.. who cares?"

4:32 pm on November 1, 2019.  That was the instant I gave up on life.

Actually maybe no.  I didn't actually pull out the jimmy so I suppose I am still have some tiny semblance of propriety and hope for the future.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #7570 on: November 01, 2019, 10:07:03 PM »

ZK, there is a way to post on fb to only certain people.  I do that sometimes....post to everyone except for x people.  You can also set up groups of friends and choose that group to post to. 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #7571 on: November 05, 2019, 09:48:05 AM »

Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7572 on: November 08, 2019, 01:09:23 PM »

Business news from Richmond over the last two weeks:

A hipster ramen place that just opened a year ago is being closed.  It will be replaced by a hipster pho place.

A tattoo shop is closing, to be replaced by an artist who draws handed painted signs for businesses. 

New pickleball bar.

New "extreme skeeball" and duckpin bar 

Get your shit together, millennials.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #7573 on: November 08, 2019, 11:30:25 PM »

Business news from Richmond over the last two weeks:

A hipster ramen place that just opened a year ago is being closed.  It will be replaced by a hipster pho place.

A tattoo shop is closing, to be replaced by an artist who draws handed painted signs for businesses. 

New pickleball bar.

New "extreme skeeball" and duckpin bar 

Get your shit together, millennials.

but do you have an axe throwing bar?

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:32:36 PM by twentyshots »
bongo hard or bongo home

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7574 on: November 09, 2019, 12:06:09 PM »

i had to get on facebook after about five years to sell some shit since we're moving.  i've been told no one uses craigslist anymore and it's facebook marketplace.  so i tried it

are you not allowed to describe what you're selling?  they ask you what you're selling so i said bar stools.  i waited patiently trying to find how to tell folk about the minor cat scratches but that option wasn't there?  i looked at examples and people greatly expounded upon their wares.  now i've gotta check facebook everyday.  i guess it's not so bad
poach eggs, not elephants
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506   Go Up