Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Musings  (Read 471085 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Random Musings
« Reply #7575 on: November 27, 2019, 03:27:57 PM »

Only two of us came nto work today, so I challenged my coworker who I barely know to a Lizzo dance off.

I.... did not win.  I will say that IMO, I also did not lose, because there are no losers in a Lizzo dance-off.  But I definitely was far away from winning.

Who knew that the quiet worker who half the people here  still don't know her name and whose office is decorated with pictures of her cat, house plants, and macrame was a dance major in college? 

Am I Norwegian indie singer Marie Ulven who performs as girlinred?  Because that was a bad idea.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #7576 on: November 28, 2019, 11:33:24 AM »

Who knew that the quiet worker who half the people here  still don't know her name and whose office is decorated with pictures of her cat, house plants, and macrame was a dance major in college? 

Am I Norwegian indie singer Marie Ulven who performs as girlinred?  Because that was a bad idea.
hahahaha!  Love this story ZK
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7577 on: November 30, 2019, 10:01:56 PM »

we moved up the street and beyond the woods the other week, into a new house.  well not beyond the woods entirely for i can pee directly  into them.  a notion that seems only to occur to me as i'm halfway to where i began before this grass break and end up using the pisser   
poach eggs, not elephants

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7578 on: February 11, 2020, 12:27:24 PM »

i've always been fond of cinder block book shelves and now i can have one.  the nature of my endeavor is more challenging than expected.  my grandfather had one.  whenever i saw it [it was a straightforward approach along the northside of the house], i always thought that, yup.  now here, it's a right angle approach along the back and side of my soon to be, residential library.  trying to coax more shelves out of cinder block has almost bested me.  but i, i've figured out a way.  there's lots of wasted space between boards in a cinder block affair.  you simply add a shelf into that middle they invented.  but if it's a right angled ordeal, why, you'd effectively would have to assemble a cinder block tower in the corner to achieve that affect.  unless the cinder blocks are brought in and the middle shelving allowed to rest on one another.  i've got a level.  also got a pile of adequately arranged piles of scrap lumber yonder by fire pit   
poach eggs, not elephants

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7579 on: March 09, 2020, 10:55:22 AM »

Just in:

The stock market got slammed again Monday morning as coronavirus fears and a potential crude oil price war sent stocks plummeting 7%, prompting the market to halt trading within four minutes of opening.

This is starting to look like outright panic. Just this morning, two clients of mine, one in Chicago and the other in New York, each canceled a planned open house/reception that was scheduled for later this month.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #7580 on: March 09, 2020, 05:23:17 PM »

Just in:

The stock market got slammed again Monday morning as coronavirus fears and a potential crude oil price war sent stocks plummeting 7%, prompting the market to halt trading within four minutes of opening.

This is starting to look like outright panic. Just this morning, two clients of mine, one in Chicago and the other in New York, each canceled a planned open house/reception that was scheduled for later this month.

Not to worry, euro. We have a very stable genius as POTUS!  Nothing to be concerned about at all!  He knows more about viruses than doctors who have been studying them for years!

Seriously, though, I have a long weekend getaway planned a month from now. I am very seriously thinking of canceling. I don't want to panic, but...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 05:26:01 PM by Drjohnrock »
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

notoriouspbake

• City Elder
« Reply #7581 on: March 09, 2020, 07:24:48 PM »

i bet prices on cruises are going for very cheap!

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #7582 on: March 09, 2020, 11:22:10 PM »

i bet prices on cruises are going for very cheap!
i did read someone (forget who) was wishing they'd get the virus, recover, then be immune to enjoy a bunch of cheap cruises

i also read where lord dickweed has the dubious distinction of being "in charge" during the top 10 worst market drops in history.....maybe it is 11 now!
bongo hard or bongo home

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7583 on: March 10, 2020, 09:33:56 AM »

i did read someone (forget who) was wishing they'd get the virus, recover, then be immune to enjoy a bunch of cheap cruises

Does it work like this? For certain?

I thought I saw a link saying that there was a mutation and folks who got it were getting it again. Of course, I don't know if I read that for certain, either.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7584 on: March 10, 2020, 10:23:20 AM »

Not to worry, euro. We have a very stable genius as POTUS!  Nothing to be concerned about at all!  He knows more about viruses than doctors who have been studying them for years!

Seriously, though, I have a long weekend getaway planned a month from now. I am very seriously thinking of canceling. I don't want to panic, but...

Ha! You are right about that! Anyone read that book "A Very Stable Genius" by the 2 WaPo reporters? Absolutely amazing stuff.

We have a family get-together planned in early May in New York. At this point we are still planning on it, but we're monitoring the situation.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7585 on: April 06, 2020, 11:05:20 PM »

I planted a garden for my mom last year, because she likes flowers but my dad can't grow things.

Their house borders a pond and there is a walking loop around the pond.  So I put the nicest, fanciest, expensive bulbs by the path.  That way when she does her daily walks and she turns tthe corner by her house she'll have the flowers to greet her.  And other walkers can enjoy them, too.

I sited them perfectly.  I would not have been able to do that a few years ago, but my garden design skillz have gotten pretty good.  It worked out great.  They looked fantastic.  Everyone walking along the lake would all stop and look, and sometimes stop for selfies, which was fine and my mom was happy that she could help other people enjoy their walks.

She was so happy with the whole thing, because she didn't really believe I could make it look that good. And I staggered out the bloomtimes, so every week when I came by for a walk she would happily point out what new thing was blooming.

Anyway, sometime last night or this morning someone came by with scissors and cut all of the nicest flowers.  Who in a pandemic in a time of decides that they should break self-isolation to go to someone else's house and steal all their flowers?  Like, this your coronavirus panic-- hoarding flowers?

I'm not too bothered by it, because as an urban gardener people stealing flowers is common.  But it was the only garden my mom's ever had and she is upset.  And when you upset my mom, then we got problems.  And my mom isn't even that upset for herself as much as she us mad that now no one gets to enjoy the flowers on their walks.  Because my mom is awesome like that.

I am going to find this person, and I am going to beat their ass.  Which will not be hard because even though I am advancing in years, almost no one in that subdivision is under 65. Also, I don't imagine too many street toughs or weight lifters are into stealing flowers. 

notoriouspbake

• City Elder
« Reply #7586 on: April 07, 2020, 07:48:11 AM »

Anyway, sometime last night or this morning someone came by with scissors and cut all of the nicest flowers.  Who in a pandemic in a time of decides that they should break self-isolation to go to someone else's house and steal all their flowers?  Like, this your coronavirus panic-- hoarding flowers?

people suck. these are the instances that show how bad we are. people only care about themselves - the short-lived joy for that ONE person supersedes the long term joy of all those who walk that path to see the flowers? and they vote.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7587 on: April 27, 2020, 06:07:25 PM »

I wrote a logical access control policy for my agency.  Part of the Logical Access Control Policy says that I will establish a policy about Security Information Training.

So I wrote a Security Information Training Policy.  The Security Information Training Policy sets out the guidelines for the establishment and review of our annual Security Training.

So I wrote an annual Security Training process that meets the requirement of the Security Training Policy, one of which is that employees sign off on that they have reviewed and complied with the annual Security Training.

So I wrote a form for staff to sign that says that they reviewed and complied with the annual Security Training.

Now, going forward all I have to do is on an annual basis review our Security Training and make sure that everyone has complied, and decide if the Security Training was successful in meeting the goals of the Security Training Policy or if any revisions need to be made.  So I made a spreadsheet that I can use to check off that I have done this as well as spreadsheet process/checklist for reviewing the training.

Then I have to review the Security Training Policy and decide if any changes need to be made in light of what I learned from my review of the annual security training.  So I made a spreadsheet that I can use to check off that I have done this as well as a spreadsheet checklis/process to make sure I have adequately reviewed the Training Policy.

Then I have to review the Logical Control Access policy to determine if any changes need to be made to Logical Access Controls in light of my review of the Security Training Policy (which may have been necessitated by alterations to Security Training).  So I made a spreadsheet that I can use to check off that I have done this as well as a spreadsheet checklist/process to make sure that I have adequately reviewed the Logical Control Access Policy.

Then I did the same thing for our Remote Access Policy.  And our Mobile Device Policy.  And our Password Policy.  And our User Account Management Policy.

They all go three to four layers deep:  Logical Access control for requirements of a Policy->The Policy about the Policy->Actual Policy->specific documents required for the actual policy.

So the thing about the Information Security Training bit is that AT LEAST IT DOESN'T BRANCH.  Most of the other policies branch at some point.  Like there isn't just one "Actual Policy" there's an "Actual Policy" PER SYSTEM.  We have 8 systems. 

Okay, so then the Logical Access Control Policy is the main part of our overall Information Security Systems Policy, which is in turn formed by us having done a informational risk/sensitivity analysis which is stems from our Business Impact Analysis. 

So in the end this shit runs like 8 layers deep.  And it flows both ways.  I may make a change at the top that forces me to make changes at the bottom, or I may make a change at the bottom that forces me to make changes at the top.

And it overlaps considerably.  My password policy is just about the same for every system, but not *exactly* the same.  So I still need to make like 8 password policies somewhere.  And the stuff in each of my password policies kinda overlaps with user account management.

Fortunately for me, I don't have to do all this shit alone.  I will be aided by my crack Infosec team, the CIO, the system owners, the system administrators, and the data owners of all the pieces of data, and something we call the "AITR" but no one even knows what they do except that they are the liaison to our state IT "CAM" who we don't who that is because it's changed four times in two years and the last time I was on a conference with our "CAM" it was at a discussion trying to determine exactly what a "CAM" should do, because none of them knew.

But I digress.  So yeah, crack team of helpers.  Right.  All I have to do now is put together an Infosec team, designate system owners, have the system owners designate system administrators, and then have those system administrators track down everyone who has put data in one of their systems so they can be data owners.  One small catch, the ISO cannot be the AITR.  Neither the ISO or the AITR can be a system owner.  System owners can't be system administrators.

Currently we have no official positions for any of these people.  Which means I have to go around and hand people shit sandwiches "Guess what, no one told you this, but you're the system owner now.  So all the shit that you're doing right now?  Yeah, you get to do all this other shit on top of that."  Guess what their enthusiasm and likely participation is going to be?  I need more roles than my agency has people.  And even if I had the numbers in theory, there are only two people in the agency that even remotely are qualified for this.  Actually scratch that-- there are 0 people qualified for this.  It's just me and one other guy who just happen to know enough about IT and/or the law that we could attempt it.  We don't have formal degrees or any certification in actual IT Security.  We just know shit. I'm the ISO, he's the AITR.  Which eliminates us from consideration from every other role.  Also, I've decided we are both on the Infosec team.

I'm not making any of this up.  It really is this stupid.  But surely, whoever drafted these ridiculous standards must be aware that one-size-doesn't-fit-all.  Of course they were.  Which is why they created a convoluted process whereby an agency can file for an exception.  Not like one opt-out exception.  One exception for every standard you can't meet.  So we need probably >50 exceptions.  Guess who files the exceptions?  The ISO! That's me!

Before anyone starts complaining about government bureaucracy, you should know we didn't do any of this.  These are the standards created by information security industry groups that apply to all IT systems public or private.  What do you think happens if it comes to light that the government is not adhering to IT security best practices?  So yeah, that's why we're doing it.  It's not because of an inefficient government trying to laze off.  It's because of a highly motivated, extremely efficient private sector that is making a massive profit and "creating jobs" by forcing everyone to try and meet their requirements.  That's why SANS training costs $5k per person.  Ooooh, job creation! 

So, when is the last time I just sorta took a casual look at the user logs to see if anything looked screwy?  I used to do it maybe once or twice a week right before I went home if I didn't have anything to do.  Now I haven't checked them in several weeks, because I've been too busy with this documenting shit.  And because "guy being on the ball and using his own brains and some common sense to monitor and try and keep shit straight" is not a role or function.  "Extremely heavily documented procedures that take forever and must be done on exact timelines" is.  So we are less safe than we were.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure now I can pass both audits upcoming (why two groups doing essentially the same audit?  who knows?) as far as logical access audit.  Now all I have to do is tackle network vulnerability, encryption and IT and behavioral policies.

So yeah, if you ever wonder why your office seems to be filled with weird IT geeks who don't seem to actually do anything.... this is why.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 06:12:30 PM by Zafer Kaya »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7588 on: May 04, 2020, 03:00:06 PM »

"Four dead in Ohio"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rrIvd8lq5s

It blows the mind that this was 50 years ago today.

Did you know that Crissie Hynde, of the Pretenders, was attending Kent State at that time? That was news to me (when I read her autobiography "Reckless" a few years ago).

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7589 on: May 04, 2020, 03:03:43 PM »

Hynde is a Right wing conspiracy Trump supporter who lives in London.  She’s dead to me now. 
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507   Go Up