Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 483   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Musings  (Read 366882 times)

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
Re: Random Musings
« Reply #7155 on: August 31, 2017, 10:06:31 PM »

Kwyjibo, you are not alone!
I have also started getting messages from people who have asked my boss to do things and she hasn't. So can I move them along?

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #7156 on: September 01, 2017, 09:42:29 AM »

Yes, you have my permission!
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7157 on: September 01, 2017, 09:53:22 AM »

our iceland road map came in the mail the other day.  my wife had it sprawled out on the kitchen floor when i came down from the upstairs.  damn, i thought, that looks like fun.  as much as i claim to like maps i haven't even picked the damn thing up.  i will i hope, because once i'm doing things i say i like, then it's fun.  it's actually getting around to doing though.  i have recently come to accept that its perfectly alright to simply like the idea of things.  i found this out from my wife after we backpacked isle royale the eve upon our engagement.  so told me that while the trail wasn't difficult, she's fine with never doing it again, but the idea is nice enough.  got me to thinking about why i'm bursting at the seams with potential backpacking trips.  is it just to get fucked up around a campfire with my friends? 
poach eggs, not elephants

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7158 on: September 01, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »

Yes, you have my permission!

who the hell's got my persimmon?

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7159 on: September 28, 2017, 10:46:03 AM »

it's been quite a damn time since someone has out of the random, mused.  of course it's me, as i was also the last taken to musing.  how does a narcissist go about seeking treatment?  seems talking about their self diagnosed narcissism would miss the point.  anyway, i was driving the other day going to oakley to pick up our herdshare and this isn't about me getting lost.  that's another story.  i'm still getting turned around by interstate 71.  anyway,

i love being a courteous driver and i love courteous drivers.  in the course of a well managed merging (orchestrated by me), the notion occurred to me, make courteous driving into a comic strip.  the first edition would be following a car until their point of stop and exit, get out of vehicle run up to the car and explain how courteous of a driver they were.  "you knew exactly when to accelerate man.  you gave me just enough space to get in between you and the vespa.  i waved thank you but you weren't looking in your rearview because that's not why you do it man.  you and me, we understand the language of the road."

then maybe a butt pat 

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7160 on: October 12, 2017, 11:11:42 AM »

anybody give me some short and concise advice as to when what where i caulk?  reading how to's on the internet makes my head spin.  i pretty much give up immediately.  nope.  one thing i've learned while stripping lead paint off the house is that before you start doing something, know why you're doing it.  know what the purpose of everything you're using is.  yes that is paint.  it's more than it looks.  just shit you take for granted that you know but it's usage so ubiquitous you never bother to question it.  i suppose that happens to me a lot.  owning a home is a chore, a satisfying chore 

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #7161 on: October 12, 2017, 02:50:16 PM »

FYI - You weren't supposed to eat those lead paint scrapings.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #7162 on: October 12, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »

anybody give me some short and concise advice as to when what where i caulk?  reading how to's on the internet makes my head spin.  i pretty much give up immediately.  nope.  one thing i've learned while stripping lead paint off the house is that before you start doing something, know why you're doing it.  know what the purpose of everything you're using is.  yes that is paint.  it's more than it looks.  just shit you take for granted that you know but it's usage so ubiquitous you never bother to question it.  i suppose that happens to me a lot.  owning a home is a chore, a satisfying chore 

Anything with holes where water could get in and you don't want it to.

Around sinks, bathtubs, bathroom floors, kitchen backsplashes and fixtures, outside things like outlets and any joints that are not already covered by roof coverings.

Paco

• Summer Resident
« Reply #7163 on: October 12, 2017, 07:44:06 PM »

What Butter said. Make sure the surfaces are clean and dry and have a nice, even, steady bead.
Sometimes you gotta lick your finger and smooth them shits out.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:45:40 PM by Paco »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7164 on: October 12, 2017, 11:51:53 PM »

You can use painter tape for nice, clean edges.  I donít, but I should.

You should also scrape the old caulk off with a razor or one of those caulk scrapers you can buy for like $5 at the hardware store.  I also donít always do this, but I should.

You can buy a special caulk smoothing tool to help you get a super tight, tiny bead.  But I just use my fingers and get a fatter line. You can also buy a stupid rubber thimble for your finger, but I donít bother.  I will just get finger cancer someday instead.

You can also get special sprays to prevent caulk from sticking and keep it more liquidy so it is easier to work with.  But usually rubbing alcohol works or just fuck it.

If you want a caulking gun, I will mail one to you because I have like 20,000.  This is because they come in packs of two, and they are a stupid shape so after you are done you just throw them in a box somewhere.  Then three years later, you need to caulk something, and donít want to spend half an hour looking for a gun, so you buy two more.

When I moved this year and was cleaning out my basement I swear I had like 15 boxes where all that was in them was a caulking gun, a pile of rags, and a trowel.  And 15 more that were like a paint tray, more rags, useless paintbrush with dried on paint, and an old, and useless opened tube of caulk that had hardened.  I did find two hammers and three handsaws though which... yeah, I have like 6 shitty hammers and handsaws with rusty blades so feh.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7165 on: October 13, 2017, 09:45:52 AM »

Random thought:
Unless you are a full time carpenter...when you buy your first hammer you are done buying hammers for the rest of your life.

Does a hammer go bad? I still have the first one I bought, and have magically accumulated two more.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7166 on: October 13, 2017, 12:15:50 PM »

FYI - You weren't supposed to eat those lead paint scrapings.

yeah that wasn't funny the first time you said it.  it's not that if i care the joke's in bad taste (not much offends me), it's more the tired humor that's bothers me.  you've got better material in you and i know it.  with that said i am happy to say that my daughter's lead level has gone down to almost a normal level.  she was a tad elevated upon her first blood screening.  that was hell to go thru.  they had to squeeze blood out of one of her fingers.  well that was about the longest ordeal of my life.  so we suppose what made this latest test more positive for us was being in iceland for a few weeks.  it'll cure anything apparently.  evens droughts of intimacy

i'll take all your caulking expertise under consideration.  you know very well how devoted to you people i am

Butter

• City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #7167 on: October 13, 2017, 12:59:14 PM »

Random thought:
Unless you are a full time carpenter...when you buy your first hammer you are done buying hammers for the rest of your life.

Does a hammer go bad? I still have the first one I bought, and have magically accumulated two more.

Depends on how good of a hammer you buy.  I have some I have picked up along the way somehow, and they feel like the head could come flying off at any moment.

Yet I still use them.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7168 on: October 13, 2017, 01:44:16 PM »

The only time I think I ever really need a hammer is to hammer cheap cardboard to the backs of cheap furniture.  And because the furniture is cheap and splinters, and you have to hammer into like a tiny edge and the backing is never marked, and I can't hammer very well, the result is just a series of tetanus spikes sticking out from the back of the bookcase/dresser/cabinet.  And then the cardboard falls out anyway.

So, I just don't put the backs on.  The wall is the back.

I keep meaning to by a finish nailer for the projects I keep meaning to do.  Except I don't really want to do those projects, so I don't really want a nailer.

The one project I would do is to put some pegboard up in my garage so I can store the tools for all the projects I won't do.  Except to do that one project, I need tools.  But until I do that project, I have no place to store the tools so screw it.

I did mark out where the pegboard needs to go though.  It was easy, because I have like 3 stud finders.  I don't actually like to attach things to studs, I just like to know where they are in case I lose my stud finder.  Why don't they make a stud finder finder?  I could hang it on the pegboard.

Thanks everyone.  You've been a great audience.

Butter

• City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #7169 on: October 13, 2017, 01:58:19 PM »

The stud finder keeps going off every time I go near it, so it's pretty useless.

I'll be here all week.  Try the veal.
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 483   Go Up