Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 501   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Musings  (Read 414521 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Random Musings
« Reply #7425 on: November 20, 2018, 09:47:24 AM »

Gonna be an ugly day on Wall Street.  I really can't come up with a reason why DJIA should be above 20k.  Stocks were already quite a bit overvalued before Trump.  All the tax cuts and deregulations should have bumped up earnings, but that would only justify the present valuation.  Maybe not even. That was when things were at 18k.

And then Trump's tariffs undercut a lot of the stuff he did to jack up the market anyway.  Good news is the bond market is also in a bubble.  As is real estate.  And pretty much everything else.  And the banks are deregulated.  So there's no place to put your money.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #7426 on: November 20, 2018, 10:50:09 AM »

So there's no place to put your money.

Mason jar in the back yard?
Under your mattress?
In a ziploc bag inside the fish stick box the freezer?
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7427 on: November 26, 2018, 02:28:51 PM »

there's a really good quote from i think lao tzu that says something to the effect of you can see the entire world by not looking out your window.  it's always bummed me out.  is it saying, there's no end, in traveling?
poach eggs, not elephants

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7428 on: November 30, 2018, 10:30:57 PM »

i was getting a late nite snack when i stumbled into a perfect storm of punnery.  my wife made this cheesecake bars for her work which she calls merry and berry bars.  marion barry?  how to market a scandal plagued dessert treat?

poach eggs, not elephants

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #7429 on: December 03, 2018, 09:28:09 AM »

Or maybe Mary Berry.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #7430 on: December 03, 2018, 03:29:09 PM »

Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7431 on: January 16, 2019, 12:39:54 PM »

Why does Amazon keep spamming me about how I can get HBO for $14.99 as a Prime member. 

Of course I can, because that's how much HBO costs.  If I have cable, it's $14.99.  If I stream on Hulu, it's $14.99.  Roku?  $14.99.  I don't even have a cable or streaming service or app, but I just want to get HBO on my laptop, tablet or phone?  Go to HBO directly.  It's $14.99.

I suppose it's significant that I can get HBO via the Amazon Prime app/channel even if its regular price.  But why would I want to do that?  It's easier to get HBO just straight from the Roku menu or whatever than to have to go into Amazon Prime first.  Are they under the impression that people just hang out in Amazon Prime?  Because they'd have to be a lot less shitty for that to happen.

Also,  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marionberry

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7432 on: January 16, 2019, 01:37:29 PM »

c-lando

• City Elder

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #7434 on: January 24, 2019, 02:58:17 PM »

Onions, onions, tacos.
Tacos, tacos, onions.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #7435 on: January 24, 2019, 04:09:23 PM »

Onions, onions, tacos.
Tacos, tacos, onions.

CHORIZO!!!!!!!!
CILANTRO!!!!!!
GUACAMOLE SALSA!!!!!!!!!

(Thanks for helping me sort out dinner plans. TACO!!!!!!)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7436 on: February 09, 2019, 02:35:52 PM »

Stop posting DIY woodworking projects that only cost $25 and 1 hour on the net.  Or at least stop lying about it.

If your project requires planed/jointed Wood, it is nowhere close to under $25.  Youíre either buying expensive wood, or you are buying a planer/jointer for $500.  If it also involves staining or sealing youíre not getting it done in under an hour.  Or even five hours.

Yeah, thereís a lot of cool shit you can build without needing too much skill or complex plans if you have a woodworking shop.  Thatís what stops people from building shit.  The initial $1k investment.  Not that they donít understand how to glue or join boards together to make shapes.  Everyone knows how to make a bookcase.  They just donít want to make shitty, nonsquare bookcases which is what happens if you use cheap wood and canít plane it or you donít have a nice router for your fancy ass joins.

My all-time favorite IKEA hack is the one where someone took one of those giant IKEA bags and cut a hole in the bottom.  Step into the hole, pull the bag up.  The remaining bottom of the bag gathers up your long dress, then slip the handles over your shoulder.  Now you can take a dump with a long dress on.  Simple, and very useful because it comes in extremely handy when you need it, but you will not need it often enough to spend more than $3.00 on this device.  That is a true IKEA hack.  Something cheap has been repurposed for an entirely different and creative use using simple household tools in five minutes.

Every thing else on IKEA hacks is just ďI have a lot of expensive tools so I can shape raw material into anything I want.  I used a bunch of IKEA particle board, but I could have just bought the wood myself.Ē  Or ďI am an awesome painter, and I painted something from IKEA instead of something else.Ē

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7437 on: February 09, 2019, 02:43:26 PM »

Low pressure shower heads work effectively to save water.  However, only 10% of the savings is because they constrict the flow of water.  The other 90% is because they suck so bad no one wants to stay in the shower.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7438 on: February 12, 2019, 02:46:16 PM »

I do not understand the appeal of the instant pot.

First off, no one gives a shit if you can make yogurt in it. You will never use that thing to make yogurt.  And even if you did, it's far less "instant" than just opening up a container of yogurt.

Second, it's not a pressure cooker AND a slow cooker.  It's just a pressure cooker, which like any other pressure cooker can be used similarly to a slow cooker.  The advantage is it takes way less time.  The disadvantage is, you can't just turn it on and walk away, you have to be there.

Third, it's NOT a rice maker, saute, steamer, and warmer.  It's just a rice cooker.  Because you can sautee and warm and steam shit in a rice maker too.  A modern rice maker is just an Instant Pot with a special chips and stuff so it makes perfect rice.  An Instant Pot is just a rice maker that makes shittier rice.  But when was the last time you satued something in a rice maker?  Never.  Most people don't even have rice makers, which renders the rice making function of the Instant Pot useless right away.

But anyway, what if I told you there was another appliance that can warm, sautee, make rice, make yogurt, slow cook, pressure cook, steam just like the Instant Pot?  And on top of that, it can also grill, broil, boil, and bake?  And not only can it do all those things, but it can actually do somewhere between 5-7 of those functions AT THE SAME TIME.  It's called a "range."

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #7439 on: February 12, 2019, 05:05:12 PM »

That sounds an awful lot like "Stop liking what I don't like!" Jeezuz, dude, what's with with the get-off-my-lawn rants?
I have an instant pot. I also have an oven or "range".
I use both. Some things I like to make in the pressure cooker, some things I like to make in the oven. Sometimes, I'll start something in the instant pot and finish in the range! Sometimes I'll have both going at the same time!
It's a wonderful world full of options and the freedom to like things without everything having to be perfectly logical and totally without shortfalls.

And hard boiled eggs in the instant pot are without equal and damn near worth the price of admission. Full stop.
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 501   Go Up