Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 505   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Musings  (Read 432302 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Random Musings
« Reply #7470 on: March 28, 2019, 05:05:42 PM »

i'm not arguing in favor of bringing an instant pot outside my house just so we're clear. did anyone object?  i personally would encourage it and politely decline once offered with a breakfast

But that ends up becoming a dick move, because what are they going to do with all that yogurt now? 

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7471 on: March 29, 2019, 11:18:27 AM »

it'll help her recognize how stupid it is to bring a giant domestic appliance on vacation
poach eggs, not elephants

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #7472 on: March 29, 2019, 11:52:06 AM »

Honestly, now that you guys have asked, I'm not sure if she's still bringing it or not.

One friend said she doesn't do yogurt with her IBS.

The Instant Potter's response was:
"We can just do fruit and whatever for breakfast. If others want yogurt great, if not no big deal!
I'm not big on pasta but I can always make/ bring something else. Beth- do you know if they have a grill?
Oh, and I will go walk/ hike/ run in lieu of pedicure."

I included the whole thing so that you could see that she also doesn't do pasta and she will go on a solo hike/run instead of going out for pedicures.

Or, as Vizz put it, this lady just wants to veto everything fun and good about vacation.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7473 on: March 29, 2019, 12:07:34 PM »

it'll help her recognize how stupid it is to bring a giant domestic appliance on vacation

But it won't help her recognize the truly important lesson here.  Which is how stupid it is to use a giant domestic appliance to make something you can just buy at the store, in exactly the same form, in the first place.

So if we're playing the tough love card, you should tell her to bring the Instant Pot, then when she starts making yogurt grab the Instant Pot and throw it away. 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7474 on: March 29, 2019, 01:04:12 PM »

The biggest letdown that occurs to me on a semi-regular basis is when someone talks asks me if I'm "good at Ethics" or if I'd like to go to an "Ethics class" with them.

I get all excited like hell yeah I was a Philosophy major in college I love this shit let's do it!  And then it turns out to be a PROFESSIONAL Ethics class.  It's just a gut punch in so many ways.

1)  I do not give a shit about professional ethics, so what I thought was going to be fun has immediately devolved into a torturous waste of time

2)  It's sad to me that people are not interested in Ethics, and in fact think so little of it that they only context they can conceive of ethics is in professional training and don't even know there's something bigger out there.  Almost everyone in every profession has probably taken at least a three professional "ethics" training seminars but almost no one has ever taken just one Ethics class.

3)  What kind of sad asshole needs help understanding the code of conduct for their own chosen profession?  If you don't know how you can screw people over in your job, then you need to take a real Ethics class as you are apparently morally bankrupt.  And I mean, they've made it so easy.  It's not even a moral code. It's like literally written down statutory code that some HR type already developed for you.  Do you need help reading?

4)  Yes, they actually do need help reading.  They read the rules, and they don't understand them.  Which pisses me off TREMONDOUSLY.  Because now I realize that they aren't asking me if I'm interested in Ethics because I seem like a very nice person, or at least an intellectually curious person.  They're asking me because they know I have a law degree.  AND I HATE USING MY LAW DEGREE.  I especially hate fake-using my law degree to help someone who can't read and is lazy and has just decided like "Oh you need to be a lawyer to know this shit."  No, you just need to know how to read for comprehension.  I mean, if I actually did have to do statutory interpretation that's at least one of the few semi-interesting areas of law.  But "Do not share personal identifiable information including:  blahblblahblah" is just not ripe for a discussion of textualism.

Anyway, like two weeks ago I was riding the elevator with this woman in my building who I barely know but just we kinda come in at the same time so we always say hi to each other and she looked at me oddly at out of nowhere was like "'Hey, are you good at Ethics?" 

So I was like "Hell no, bitch.  I don't know jackshit and leave me the fuck alone, and can you believe how wet it's been all year?  What crazy weather!"

Then today, I was waiting in line at the cafeteria to buy stuff.  And I see her at a table, with a book, whose cover I instantly recognize as Fear and Trembling.  She's sitting with someone and I can barely hear a few snippets of conversation, which mostly pertain to how she's finding the book confusing and the other dude is barely even listening.  I'm like "oh crap.  I was wrong.  She's learning REAL Ethics.  This is so awesome!  I need to go and talk to her."

But then, right as I had to pay for my food, they got up and left.  And I had to wait for them to run my card, and I was so far away.  I was chasing after them, all the way to the elevator.  I think I got there just in time for her to watch the doors close in my face while I was yelling "In Kierkegaard's epistemological pluralism the theological is not a part of ethics but is rather on a higher rung of the dialectical ladder, allowing for the Teologicial Suspension of the Ethical!  That's what you're missing!  I CAN EXPLAaaaa----"

But she probably doesn't give shit.  And neither should I, really.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7475 on: March 29, 2019, 04:17:18 PM »

I was yelling "In Kierkegaard's epistemological pluralism the theological is not a part of ethics but is rather on a higher rung of the dialectical ladder, allowing for the Teologicial Suspension of the Ethical!  That's what you're missing!  I CAN EXPLAaaaa----"

FANTASTIC

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7476 on: March 30, 2019, 11:18:37 PM »

ZK, I am astonished, after all these years of being on line with you, that you have a law degree. Maybe I have missed references before about this, I dunno.

I am of course a lawyer myself.

To the extent of being stupid or ignorant, having missed this before, how are you using your law degree in real life?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #7477 on: April 07, 2019, 11:40:23 PM »

Honestly, now that you guys have asked, I'm not sure if she's still bringing it or not.

Or, as Vizz put it, this lady just wants to veto everything fun and good about vacation.

we really do expect an update when you get back!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7478 on: April 09, 2019, 01:15:29 PM »

Today is a busy day in Cincinnati history:

Today UC's Cronin, Cincy native, follows that other fellow Cincy native (X's Chris Mack), and leaves town, to take the basketball job at UCLA.

Three years ago today, FCC played its very first game at Nippert. No, I was not there but 14,658 people were, much to everyone's surprise. And that would just be the beginning...

Twenty years ago today, that tornado ripped through Blue Ash and Montgomery. I already lived in Blue Ash then. I slept through the whole thing. I remember waking up and noticed that quite a few tree branches and leaves seemed laying about everywhere. I had to go to Dayton for a meeting, and am listening to NPR's Morning Edition on my way up. It's there that I heard about the tornado. Later on, I figured out that the tornado ripped through Blue Ash about a good mile from where I lived.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #7479 on: April 12, 2019, 11:37:56 AM »

I did some volunteer work cleaning up the day after that tornado hit.  That was the craziest shit I've ever seen.  People's personal possessions were EVERYWHERE.  The only more devastating thing I've seen is the aftermath of a fire.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7480 on: April 29, 2019, 03:02:02 PM »

so i guess i am a fan of oxford comma.  i've been doing it unintentionally for a spell now.  i've actually abandoned a lot of grammar or whatever it's called.  never really care about any rules man 

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7481 on: April 30, 2019, 09:22:10 AM »

I love the oxford comma. Anyone who says otherwise is a terrorist.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7482 on: April 30, 2019, 02:12:40 PM »

i meant to say that i quit using oxford comma.  that came out wrong.  no hard feelings

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #7483 on: April 30, 2019, 02:22:14 PM »

what about the hamilton-hyphen? Cincinnati period? fairfield elipse? middletown dash?

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #7484 on: April 30, 2019, 02:28:19 PM »

All I know is that now I have a Vampire Weekend song stuck in my head.  Thanks for nothing, chumps.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 505   Go Up