Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Musings  (Read 418467 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Random Musings
« Reply #7485 on: April 30, 2019, 10:50:29 PM »

All I know is that now I have a Vampire Weekend song stuck in my head.  Thanks for nothing, chumps.
Speaking of Vampire Weekend, it is one of the few show at the PNC Pavillion coming up that I've bought tix for (in June), really looking forward to that!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #7486 on: May 01, 2019, 09:36:03 PM »

what about the hamilton-hyphen? Cincinnati period? fairfield elipse? middletown dash?

Would the Fairfield Ellipse be when people use commas instead of periods for the ellipse? I see this more and more, and I think it might be because they are typing on a phone. It still bothers me.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7487 on: May 13, 2019, 09:15:18 AM »

What the hell is up with the weather? Feels more like Thanksgiving than it does the upcoming Memorial Day...
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7488 on: May 13, 2019, 04:14:55 PM »

What the hell is up with the weather? Feels more like Thanksgiving than it does the upcoming Memorial Day...

oh man i am loving it!  it's all gloomy and shit and i'm wearing layers.  fuck the sun.  word is bond 
poach eggs, not elephants

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7489 on: May 13, 2019, 05:07:31 PM »

i half expect it to get dark in an hour or so

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7490 on: May 30, 2019, 11:20:22 PM »

Got away with one at work today.

Manager in my office could not figure out how to do something.  It required Remote Desktop, which he does not know how to use.  So he calls in the vendor, who charges insane amounts for help. 

I get called in so I can use my machine to Remote Desktop.  Then I set up a Gogo meeting so I could share my screen.  Vendor tries to walk me through it.  Turns out, all he needed was a driver.  Which he could have gleaned from the giant ass window that popped up saying “Missing dll”

Total waste of my time.  Then, after I finish installing the driver, dude is like “Haha, was that it? Wow, you sure make a lot of money for doing something a high school kid could do.”  “Yeah, and you make even more money to not even be able to do what a high school kid can do.”

He was PISSED.  But I don’t work for him.  I work for my boss who is ten times the arrogant asshole I am and *hates* this dude.  And also outranks him.  And is basically itching for a fight.  So, he did nothing. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7491 on: May 31, 2019, 11:49:26 PM »

Good one, ZK!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7492 on: June 01, 2019, 09:15:31 AM »

It was a pretty rude thing for him to say that in the first place, too, though. It's like, if he doesn't see it coming ahead of time, that's on him to cross that line in the first place rather than just say thank you and be humble for needing the help.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7493 on: June 01, 2019, 02:01:58 PM »

Yeah, he's kind of a dick.  No one likes him much.

He thinks he is really important and valuable and the only one who can get stuff done around here. Which tbf, is actually true.  But only because he is from a rich, old South family with deep political connections.  Therefore people have to listen to him, and they do not listen to us, the people who know what we are doing.  His election to a political office is inevitable.  He's just biding his time until the timing is right, and this job just a resume builder for him.  He resents having to wait when he is ready now and not really getting anything from his job.

I get it, because it is true this job experience is pointless for him and he's not ever going to be better at being a stare Senator than he us now.  We both see this as a failure of the system.  It's just he sees the failure as him having to jump through pointless hoops to assume his rightful throne..  I see the failure as this idiot being handed a throne just for jumping through a few pointless hoops.

OTOH, he's not really a bad guy.  He brings in donuts for everyone, he tries to be social around the office (probably because it's better than working).  He just says shit like that because he was brought up spoiled and has a warped sense of reality.  And because I think he was taught that this sort of Alpha Male joke sparring is how men deal with each other and we'll all get along better when I understand my place and his.  He really likes to be liked.  He was more pissed that it appeared I might not like or respect him than the insult itself.  I like to think that maybe it was because the truth hurts, but I doubt he thinks that way.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7494 on: June 08, 2019, 03:13:25 AM »

You know what pisses me off?

I’m starting to see web ads pop up for seniors. It is depressing to think that I’m that old.  And then what is depressing is they have enough info. On me to know my age.  And then what is depressing is the fact that I get disturbed about people having my demographic data which is something old people do.

I am sure the next ad I get will be “12 Things Seniors Can Do to Stop Worrying about Internet Privacy.”  I will be totally annoyed.  And I will click on it.  And if I really can’t believe #7, I’m throwing my iPad in the trash.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7495 on: June 08, 2019, 08:35:32 AM »

I've been a cranky old man since I was in my teens. Embrace it!

Chris

• Citizen
« Reply #7496 on: June 25, 2019, 03:56:45 PM »

I've been a cranky old man since I was in my teens. Embrace it!

Speaking of cranky old men...  it was nice to see the article on Scott on the Enquirer site today.

Wish I had ran into him at Pride in my rainbow best, however I probably would’ve held off of a whole “Duemellon Special”. 🏳️‍🌈😂

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7497 on: June 25, 2019, 11:27:17 PM »

i watch a friend's kid once a week while they go to couples counseling.  i took the tykes outside to horse around in the sandbox i just built.  we had roofers doing roof stuff with the scaffolding and what not.  i was building my little one a crude bench to put her sand tools on about five feet from them.  within a few minutes of me figuring out i had the drill in reverse, the other kid is howling.  my kid threw sand in her face.  i rush to counsel this friend's kid while the roofers are perhaps judging me and my kid goes up to the kid with sand caked tears, big smile on her face says, want some mayonnaise?   

laughter was hard to suppress

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7498 on: June 26, 2019, 01:06:56 AM »

As I have said on may occasions, all of the world's problems can be solved with some more mayonnaise. Literally everything is better with mayonnaise. The more the better!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7499 on: June 26, 2019, 05:26:39 PM »

Most of the Richmond breweries are in this small area of town that used to be abandoned warehouses.  Now of course, it's the uber-hipster/gen-z area of town. 

So I'm walking in the brewery part of town, past Veil Brewery and all of a sudden there's a whole gaggle of aging hipster Ethan Hawke-looking dudes. They don't seem to be together or know each other.  I'm like, "Hipsters yes, but they seem a bit out of the age demographic.  Is the Fine Arts Museum having some kind of event here or something?"

So, I walk by a couple of Ethan Hawkes and then I see a guy near the end of block who is by far the most Ethan Hawke-iest of this crowd.  And as I get closer I'm like "Damn, this dude isn't just dressed/coiffed like Ethan Hawke, this dude actually physically resembles Ethan Hawke.  Like I bet people actually mistake him for Ethan Hawke."

But I was wrong, because all of a sudden a new Ethan Hawke walks out the door of Veil right behind most-realistic-fake-Ethan Hawke, and this Ethan Hawke makes THAT Ethan Hawke look like a homeless celebrity-lookalike stripper Ethan Hawke for bachelorette parties or something.  Like way more handsome and way more Ethan Hawke looking.  He looks more Ethan Hawke than I would have dreamed possible, even for Ethan Hawke.

Later I find out the last Ethan Hawke actually was Ethan Hawke.  Which makes me wonder?  Does Ethan Hawke keep an entourage/crew/posse around that all have to look like Ethan Hawke?  Or is there maybe some kind of Ethan Hawke fanclub where they knew he was going to be there so they all showed up dressed like Ethan Hawke?  Or is it just that anyone who hangs out with or is a fan of Ethan Hawke tends to dress like Ethan Hawke all the time, which is maybe why they were fans of Ethan Hawke in the first place?

I thought it would be cool if Ethan Hawke had a super power where everyone he walks by starts looking like him, and the closer the proximity/longer the exposure the more like him they look.  So he's just like walking down the street and morphing every one.

But the guy who told me that it was Ethan Hawke apparently met him and talked to him, and he still looks exactly the same which is nothing like Ethan Hawke.
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502   Go Up