Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Musings  (Read 448132 times)

gisrick

• Summer Resident
Re: Random Musings
« Reply #7545 on: October 26, 2019, 11:15:40 PM »

I'm considering writing letters again.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #7546 on: October 27, 2019, 12:14:06 AM »

Feel free to send one to me :-)
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #7547 on: October 27, 2019, 12:17:53 AM »

ZK, I am on facebook, twitter (though I rarely post there) and Instagram...which I joined in the spring after learning a good friend who now lives in Australia only does Instagram, so I joined simply to take part in a small piece of his life.  Social media does make it easy to maintain a connection with people for the most part. 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #7548 on: October 27, 2019, 10:55:23 AM »

I'm the same as Trixi. I'm on FB, Twitter and Instagram. Of the three, I like IG the best because I'm a visual person and enjoy seeing the world through the eyes of those I follow. And overall it's much more ... I dunno, gentle, I suppose. Of course your mileage may vary depending on the accounts you follow, but overall there's a lot less political noise pollution.

I love seeing photos of friends' pets, travels, hobbies and passions. Trixi and I kinda knew what to expect when we saw Debbie Harry recently, because Whigsgeek posted a couple of photos from when she attended the book tour a few days previous. I love reading about Chespo's quest for the perfect donut, complete with photos of each one as well as insight into the bakeries and processes.

Aside from friends, I follow a lot of bands/musicians/artists on Instagram, and lots of football players. I love seeing Oriol Romeu relaxing on the sofa with his dog, or posing with his grandma at St. Mary's stadium, and Matty Targett looking more goofy than Goofy at Disneyland Florida. I liked seeing the pure joy on Maya Yoshida's face when he took ownership of a new Land Rover. It's kinda silly, sure, but at the same time it makes them human, if that makes sense.

My Instagram account is set to private, which means I get final approval on who does or does not see what I post. I'm not on the platform to garner as many followers as possible; I'm there to engage with friends. If you join IG, send me a friend request at luanngibbs513. ZK, I think you'd really like IG. And I think us Randomville IG users would love to see photos of your garden and home renovations and kittehs. :)

I use Twitter to connect with music and football fans, and professionally for the stories and photo galleries I create for my day job. It can be very political and ugly though, so it takes time to strike a decent balance between noise and genuine engagement. Even after 10 years on there, I'm not entirely sure I've found it.

FB is a good platform for finding events you might be interested in, and its a good way to keep in touch with friends from far away. CR is on there all the time because many of his best mates are still in the UK and Europe. I don't engage with it very much because for me, there's too much political bullshit. You can fine tune the settings so that you don't have to see or engage with the toxicity, but even with the fine tuning sometimes garbage still seeps through. As such, I don't bother too much with FB. I might scroll through it twice a week for about 10 minutes a time.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 10:51:15 AM by MissKitty »
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #7549 on: October 27, 2019, 11:16:10 AM »

Feel free to send one to me :-)

And me. Or just a Postcard from Paradise. :)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7550 on: October 27, 2019, 01:04:20 PM »

I have accounts on Twitter and FB, but I don't use them. I used Twitter only if I'm stuck super duper bored somewhere and have exhausted all other entertainment options. I check FB once every week or two just to make sure there isn't some big news from someone a bit more distant than me. IG I used fairly regularly. Less noise, more things that are fun.

When I decided to get more into IG, I decided I wanted my feed to be like, mostly cats or dogs. And then I added my favorite sports teams. And really, it's one of the more fun decisions I've made. Yes, friends and family too, but with all the posts from all the cat accounts it's like a totally different beast and they do what they were meant to do. :-)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #7551 on: October 28, 2019, 11:42:03 AM »

I'm on FB. I'll lurk on IG or Twitter from time to time, but decided that I really only want to have one active account. So, FB it is because it seems less chaotic to me. If you join, I'd love to be friends. You are definitely someone I'd like to have in my IRL circle.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7552 on: October 28, 2019, 12:17:48 PM »

So do people keep separate Instagram and Facebook accounts, or do they link them?

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #7553 on: October 28, 2019, 12:20:42 PM »

Personally I keep mine separate, but it's easy to link them later on if you decide you want to do so.

Chespo

• Tourist
« Reply #7554 on: October 28, 2019, 01:32:15 PM »

I guess mine are linked, i.e. I'm using the same login account for both—which makes it easy to connect with the same folks on both platforms if desired—but I opt not to let Instagram automatically share each of my posts onto Facebook.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7555 on: October 28, 2019, 02:51:38 PM »

I am not sure. I have a button on my IG that I can hit on each post which will automatically post it to FB too, but I rarely use that button. So I guess yes, kinda?

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #7556 on: October 28, 2019, 10:44:58 PM »

I have IG and FB, but my IG is landscapes and grafitti, nothing about me (vaoftn) I almost never post there.
I post a little on FB, but it has been one of the best ways to let people know about Ella, especially since she had a bunch of friends that i didn't actually know.

ZK, I would like to see your garden and the kitties!
Miss Kitty, I'm sending you a request.

I do have myFB and IG separate, and I'm not following much on IG.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #7557 on: October 29, 2019, 12:00:15 AM »

I am not sure. I have a button on my IG that I can hit on each post which will automatically post it to FB too, but I rarely use that button. So I guess yes, kinda?
I do this as well.  Sometimes I have the pic posted to both, sometimes just to Instagram. 

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #7558 on: October 29, 2019, 12:01:22 AM »

Hey Dan....do you have a yellow hat on in your IG account?  I think that's you but didn't want to follow a complete stranger.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7559 on: October 29, 2019, 10:41:14 AM »

Yeah that's me!
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506   Go Up