Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Job Woes  (Read 2628 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Job Woes
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2005, 01:00:05 PM »

Quote from: "purple_octopus"
Quote from: "frizgolf"
1 out of 10 was an ass****!
Just curious, friz, but why did you **** out "hole" in "asshole"?  Why not ***hole?  Or is **** something other than "hole"?

Heh - you know, I didn't even notice this until you pointed out.  I guess my eyes just rolled over it as if it was an edited version of a bad word, and could easily figure out which word that was.   Nice catch.  Now I think it's hilarious.

frizgolf

• City Elder
Job Woes
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2005, 07:10:41 PM »

Hmmm. Musta been sleeping there. I tried to be all clean and shit, and I bleeped out the wrong part of the word. Arrgh.
I did learn diplomacy on that job, though. If I didn't depend on screwball personalities to put dinner on the table, I would have never learned how to listen so well. The older I get, the more I tend to stand up for myself. I don't worry about what people think of me as much as I did when I was younger, and I could see an imminent blowup over some minutae happening someday. That job experience helps me nowadays in dealing with all the levels of management I have to deal with, especially in a county government. I just hope I don't butt heads with the wrong person!
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Job Woes
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2005, 07:31:54 PM »

Quote from: "vizzah"
temp work generally pays more than unemployment, bro.  i'm trying to be as unbiased as possible here, but temp work ain't all that bad.  besides, you could always look for something else while you're temping.

What?  I'm not unemployed.  I just need more scratch and some friggin' respect.  I mean, if you've got a temp job open that pays about $35K, gives 3 weeks vacation, and a stellar 401k where the bosses aren't straight out of a Dilbert cartoon, then hell sign me up, otherwise, I can't do it.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

vizzah

• Self-cleaning mutant
  • City Elder
Job Woes
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2005, 11:59:37 AM »

Quote from: "Kwyjibo"
I can't do it.

you mean you won't do it.  i've been there.  i know there's a difference.  you'd be surprised how little you can get by on once you have to.  and surprisingly, sometimes you end up happier in a weird way.
In case of emergency, breakdance.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Job Woes
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2005, 07:19:04 PM »

Well, I guess Juliana doesn't need to eat that much afterall.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

vizzah

• Self-cleaning mutant
  • City Elder
Job Woes
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2005, 07:52:05 PM »

no need to sass, bro - i'm not trying to tell you your business.  alls i'm saying is sometimes, some people find it worth it to sacrafice higher salaries and 401K plans for a better work environment - like myself, for example.   sure, some temping sucks - i've been on both sides of the fence.  but it just kinda bugs me when people write off ALL temp work as low-paying, thankless chump jobs, and that's a little of the feeling i was getting from you, apologies if i was picking up the wrong vibe there.  it sounds like your job pretty much sucks, but you're afraid of adjusting to making less money, etc etc.  but if you're going to start looking, a few temp agencies (*ahem*Manpower*ahem*) also have professional staffing departments with higher level jobs paying way upwards of $30K/year, mostly contract or TTH and offer pretty cheap health benefits (approx. $30/week for you & your spouse).  

this time last year i had just been given a 13% raise, putting me close to $30K a year - pretty big money for me, and by far, the most i'd ever make.  i was also taking about 2 valium a day just to get through the workday, hardly ever sleeping because my EP was calling me in the middle of the night cokes up, accusing me of stealing from her, and would regularly refer to me as a "spoiled little bith" or a "worthless writer" whenever i asked for any kind of recognition (example: actually being credited as a writer on the friday credit roll, because, well...that's what i fucking did).  i got fed up, gave very little notice and quit the job without much of a backup plan.  i worked a shitty temp job for a while, got released, and went to another temp agency.  i was lucky enough that said agency offered me a job internally in their staffing department.  now it's a year later and i'm making barely over half of what i did last year, but i've never been happier with my job.  sure, it sucks being broke and on your own, and i understand that your position is different because you have a wife and a child to provide for.  but i feel pretty safe in saying that having my review friday and being told without prompting what a great job i'm doing and how happy my manager is with my performance makes up for the bulk of that income i'm not pulling in.
In case of emergency, breakdance.

foolsgold

Job Woes
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2005, 08:40:33 AM »

Quote from: "vizzah"
Quote from: "Kwyjibo"
I can't do it.

you mean you won't do it.  i've been there.  i know there's a difference.  you'd be surprised how little you can get by on once you have to.  and surprisingly, sometimes you end up happier in a weird way.

Yeah, it can be done.  I took almost a $15,000 pay cut when I left P&G four years ago.  My lifestyle didn't change all that much and I no longer have ulcers!

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
Job Woes
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2005, 09:43:45 AM »

I, too, took a pay cut....but of course, I was not working so long it was sort of like not a pay cut.  But my current job pays about 10K a year less than my last job.  Honestly, I don't notice too much difference.  I just don't buy as many clothes and frivolous items for the house.  It was worth it to get out from under psycho boss.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
Job Woes
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2005, 09:53:41 AM »

I can see where you're coming from on the temp front, Kwyj. With a family (wife and daughter) it would be very difficult to give up health insurance and benefits for a temp job with a pay cut. Especially when you are already paying lots of money in child support.
Well.......

Juliana

• City Elder
Job Woes
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2005, 10:00:13 AM »

He wasn't dogging temping at all.  That's what I'm doing right now afterall.  

The fact is that one of us needs to be pulling in health insurance, and a permant/steady gig.  Trust me, if I could actually get a teaching job, I'd have zero problem being the breadwinner and letting Kwyj go back to school or try to find something he didn't hate with every fiber of his being.
Hell, I'd even do something I'd hate so he could do that, because I know how miserable he is up there.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

berzerker

• I turn my camera on...
  • City Elder
Job Woes
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2005, 04:26:53 PM »

Quote from: "frizgolf"
Hmmm. Musta been sleeping there. I tried to be all clean and ****, and I bleeped out the wrong part of the word. Arrgh.
I did learn diplomacy on that job, though. If I didn't depend on *****ball personalities to put dinner on the table, I would have never learned how to listen so well. The older I get, the more I tend to stand up for myself. I don't worry about what people think of me as much as I did when I was younger, and I could see an imminent blowup over some minutae happening someday. That job experience helps me nowadays in dealing with all the levels of management I have to deal with, especially in a county government. I just hope I don't **** heads with the wrong person!

There. I finished bleeping out all the stuff you missed. Again.
ny day now how's about
Getting out of this place, anyways,
Got a lot of spare time
Some of my youth
And all of my senses on overdrive

frizgolf

• City Elder
Job Woes
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2005, 05:23:57 PM »

I bow to your editorial prowess.
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up