Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Peterborough Utd, Year 2 (05-06): Righting the 'Ship  (Read 9715 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Peterborough Utd, Year 2 (05-06): Righting the 'Ship
« on: February 02, 2005, 03:05:11 PM »

That's right, it must be year 2 of everyone's favorite Peterborough United soccer dynasty!  

Visit Year 1 here!

Or, if you prefer, continue on with year 2 right here, as I continue my struggles to take a perpetual bouncer between Leagues 1 & 2 to the promised land!

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 03:24:21 PM »

We hit the end of May with some nice messages for a change.

First off:
The board have announced that the planned expansion to the club's training facilities has been completed.

Apparently, this was completed at an expense of nearly $325k, which brings our budget surplus down to just under $600k.  

Then:
Peterborough have announced a new sponsorship with a local company.  The deal is estimated to be worth $52k per year over 3 years.

Which makes me wonder what our old sponsorship deal was for.  I'll have to check that out.

And:
The Peterborough board have informed you that your transfer budget for this year will be in the region of $200k.

You will be allowed to retain the vast majority of any transfer income to supplement this budget.

Which is just grand, except I don't have any big ticket players to sell like I did last season.  Unless I want to unload Callum Willock.  Which is tempting considering that he played out his ass last year.

Notts County is the final winner of the League Two playoffs, so they'll be joining us in League One next year.  And Sunderland win the Championship Playoffs to earn their way to the Premiership for '05-'06.

Finally, we find that Paul Shaw nabbed second place in the League One Goal of the Year honors for his effort against Wrexham on August 11.  Which was a magical strike from about 40 yards and a well deserved award.

We start the offseason in June with a note that the board is still "very pleased" with my performance as manager.  Yeah, just wait until we actually win a few games.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 12:24:28 PM »

Apparently, the last sponsorship deal ran out after the 03-04 season and was for $200k per year.  So we're not doing so hot with the sponsors now.

But that's ok.

The thing that kills me is that no one will sign our players that are going out of contract.  Nor will anyone make any offers on our pricier folk.  I don't know how to shrink the wage budget when these guys just won't get off the books.

We do manage to sign yet another young, foreign, talented keeper.  17 year old Marcus Eskilsson, a Sweden native, signs with us for $6k per year for 3 years.  He is raw, but we'll stick him in the reserves and try to develop him.  It doesn't cost us a transfer fee to his current Swedish club since his contract is up in December, and it may well pay dividends down the road with a transfer fee.  He'll join us on December 1.

The complicating thing about attempting to sign Callum Willock to a long term contract is that his time is up at the end of the upcoming season.  And right now he's worth $380k.  And who knows how much money he'll want to stay with us if he has ANOTHER awesome season.  Willock may well have to leave us if we can manage to loan anybody worth a crap.

More messages:

First:
Callum Willock has been voted Peterborough Fans' Player of the Year.
-Well deserved.

Then:
Peterborough have been given $550,000 for League One TV rights for the upcoming season.

-Yay, cash!  My favorite!

And:
The Peterborough board are pleased at your performance as manager this season.  

You are expected to invest in new players and start rebuilding the team during the coming season.

To help you achieve this the Peterborough board have given you a transfer budget of $200k.

-Well, der.  I already knew this.

And in the spirit of investing in new players, I agree terms with a blast from the past... you know him, you love him, you remember him from his time at Newcastle in the late 90's when he used to blow past people then blast one into the seats, it's striker Faustino Asprilla!  I found him aged 35 toiling away for some club in Italy called "Valle D'Aosta".  I have to await a work permit for the guy, but surely he's a cinch.  He played in England before, didn't he?

I think about arranging some friendlies, then just decide to let my assistant manager do it.  Why waste that 20 minutes of my life?  It really makes no difference to me who we play, as long as we get fit and don't die during a plane ride.  I used to think it was cool setting up tours of various countries... but it really has no bearing on anything, so I just skip it.

Here's who we get scheduled:
v. Nott'm Forest (Champ.)
v. Leeds (EPL)
v. Borussia Dortmund (German Bundesliga)
@ Chesham (non-league)
@ Lincoln (League 2)
@ Cambridge City (Conf. South)

July 1st rolls around, and holy crap there's a lot of action.

First, we welcome 4 new faces to the club:
-Elvis Hammond, a 24 year old striker joins the club for for $48k per year for 3 seasons.  He is very quick and a good finisher, but still needs to work on his off the ball skill.  He joins us from Fulham, where he was on loan to Leyton Orient in league 2 last year, and scored 2 goals in 15 appearances.

-Kofi Dakinah, a 25 year old Danish fullback joins us for $44k per year for 3 seasons.  Dakinah is a good right side defender, and is an extremely hard worker who does need some technical improvement.  He joins us from league-mates Walsall, where he was largely a substitute and had an AvR (average rating) of 6.92 in 12 apps. last year.

-Jim Johansen, an 18 year old Norwegian striker joins us for $20k (+10% increase/yr.) per year for 4 years.  He'll start in the reserves, but certainly has the ability to join the big club next year.  I'll likely list him for loan this season.  He joins us from Norwegian club team Harstad, for whom he scored 4 goals in just 5 apps. last year.

-And finally the big one, Jean-Louis Valois, a 31 year old left winger joins us for $180k per year for 3 seasons.  He is a top class player who should help our offense immediately.  He is very fit for his age, and should start most games for us on the left wing in our new 4-4-2 diamond attack.  He played last year at Championship side Burnley, scoring 9 goals and tallying 2 assists in 47 apps.  He started his career at Auxerre and Lille in France, so he comes with quite the pedigree.

Our fans immediately note the quality of the Valois signing:

The 31 year old left winger is a hugely popular figure with the supporters and there is a sense of anticipation at the club that Valois can really boost the team.

We look around and make several more offers and inquiries, including offering trials to several players who have just hit the market.  

July 1st, gotta love it!  And we're not done yet.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 02:04:56 PM »

Quote from: "Butter"
The thing that kills me is that no one will sign our players that are going out of contract.  Nor will anyone make any offers on our pricier folk.  I don't know how to shrink the wage budget when these guys just won't get off the books.

The nice thing about this newest version of the game is that they have mutual contract termination. It used to be in CM that if you wanted to release someone, you had to pay off their entire contract. And the board rarely went for that.

But that's not what happens in real life. In real life, the team and the player agree on a settlement and then the player goes on his way. They finally added that in FM 2005. I haven't tried it, but it might work for you to get some people off the books.

I would also make it clear to these people when you do this that they have no future at the club. That's what I did when I transferred out Paul Hall. As soon as I agreed a fee with Brighton, I changed his status from "backup" to "not needed by the club." That way, he knew exactly where he stood when he entered contract negociations with Brighton. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but it certainly didn't hurt.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 02:50:16 PM »

We sign another scout, giving $16k a year to 46 year old Dutch scout Romeo Zondervan.  We plan to scour the globe a bit more in search of those special Posh players.

We sign another blast from the past, giving 38 year old striker Les Ferdinand $150k for 1 season.  Ferdinand was earning nearly $1M last year for Bolton, but they decided not to re-sign him and we took the opportunity to sign a player of Premiership talents.  His stamina is down, but he is instantly the best striker on our team.  We put Leon Constantine up for transfer immediately.

We finally get a good offer of 0 from Thurrock, a Conference South side, for Peter Kennedy... but he refuses to sign with them!  Son of a bitch!  We just cannot get rid of this guy's $240k salary.  I'm going to screw this guy over somehow.  

In general news, US keeper Kasey Keller signs with Bournemouth, a fellow League One team.  So, we'll be seeing him in goal at least twice this year.

Sadly for us (or maybe not considering the Ferdinand signing), the Asprilla permit is turned down.  We appeal it, but I've never won an appeal and probably won't start now.

We sign several players who are out of contract to free trials, including a loaner player from last year, former Arsenal midfielder John Spicer.  Of the 6 players we get in, 4 look decent enough to take a run at signing.  If I get one of the 2 strikers, I'll likely transfer list Steve Basham.

The first trial signing is Phil Cave, an 18 year old central defender who spent the last 2 years in the Newcastle youth system.  He has some good skill, but has lots of room for improvement on both sides of the ball.  He'll pick up $44k a year for 3 years, and likely will spend this next year on loan.

The second trial signing is 17 year old striker James Faulkner.  Faulkner has great finishing skill and is a terrific physical specimen, but is still very raw.  He'll only run us $6k per year for 4 years as a "hot prospect".  I'll also look to loan him out this season, as he's not anywhere near ready to play for us.

Finally, friendly #1 rolls around.  Here is our lineup for this match in our new formation:
GK: Kruse
Def (L-R): Jones, Plummer, Yates, Chris Carr (a right sided defender on loan)
DM: Navarro
ML/MR: Valois, Jess
AM: Shaw
Str: Ferdinand, Hammond

If you don't know many of these names, scroll back up and read year 1 to familiarize yourself with our squad.

Friendly #1
v. Nott'm Forest (Champ.)

Our former midfielder, Curtis Woodhouse, starts in midfield in Forest's 4-4-2.  Woodhouse averaged a 6.31 for Forest in the second half of last season, not exactly stellar.

Midway through the first half, Lukas Kruse decides to just give the ball away.  I mean that literally, he just dribbled the ball too far away from himself, it was collected by a Forest attacker and struck home for an easy 1-0 lead.  We control play throughout the first 45, but can't score.  Elvis Hammond looked particularly dangerous, but mostly it was a ball possession first half with little to recommend it.  A scrappy first pre-season outing for our first teamers (and Chris Carr, who was very impressive on the right).

The subs come on for half 2.  And neither team can put one in, so it ends 1-0.  Zlatan Azinovic is sort of arbitraily awarded the man of the match, making one good save in the 2nd half on a long range strike.  But we don't manage much offense either, disappointingly.  Chris Carr was our only 90 minute man, very impressive in defense, and fellow loaner Youssou Diop also played well on the left as a 2nd half sub.  We did outshoot Forest 7-6, and possession was nearly even, so we actually played pretty well, aside from the one bonehead maneuvre by Kruse.

Loss, 0-1
A: 4,197

I tender Carr a contract, but the assistant manager doesn't believe signing Diop would be worthwhile, so we hold off on him.

We do sign our 3rd trial player to a contract, 19 year old striker Mika Aaritalo, a Finnish player.  Aaritalo signs with us for $60k per year over 3 seasons, and necessitates the placing of Steve Basham on the transfer list.

John Spicer makes it 4 trial players signed to a contract, signing for $100k for just this season.  I like the guy a lot, but I don't want to commit too much time to him.  

And hey, guess what?  The work permit for Asprilla has been approved!  Well, that's good and stuff, but I was fully expecting him to not be with us this year, so now I've got WAY too many strikers.  Asprilla will join us on August 1st, which gives us some time to work out our roster.

Chris Carr makes it 5 trialers signed now as he comes on for $20k per for 4 years.  Carr is only 20 years old, and has a very promising future at right fullback.  He may even play some this year if I can't loan him.

I decide to bite the bullet and offer Callum Willock around.  He was a stud for me last year, but his technical abilities just don't justify him getting any playing time this year.  Nor does his salary or the fact that he's due to leave the club at the end of this season.  His value might never be higher, so I would be crazy to pass up the chance to cash in on him right now.

One thing that's painfully obvious looking over our player list for the next match is that we're desperately short of midfielders.  I will HAVE to loan in some folks or sign somebody to shore up the depth.

Lineup for Friendly #2:
Def: Pritchard, Burton, Cave, Carr
DM: Penford
Mid: Valois, Jess

Friendly #2
v. Leeds (Premiership)

A fairly even first half, as Shaw strikes first, getting a good nod on from Elvis Hammond and scoring in acres of space.  But Leeds scored in the 30th off a good header, then Chris Carr yielded a penalty on the right side with a shirt tug on a striker who was set to blow past him.  We trail at the break 2-1 and put the subs in, but we played Leeds very even in half #1.  We switch out the entire 11 for half 2, and don't do much of anything.  Spicer takes a small knock and has to be replaced.  But we're not creating much in this formation with the backups.  Azinovic again outshines Kruse in goal, with a couple of fine saves.  Again, we play a higher up team close, but can't score in the second half to lose.

Loss, 1-2
A: 15,276

Good crowd for the Leeds visit.

We send out feelers to loan several midfielders and wait for replies.  We get several rejections for Callum Willock and Leon Constantine, and now I figure we're just gonna be stuck with these guys for the season.

Friendly #3
v. Borussia Dortmund (Bundesliga)

An impressive home series continues as we run out the same lineup as last time, except starting Spicer on the left for Valois, who is out with a slight groin injury.  

This is one hell of an entertaining first half, as Dortmund start fast with 2 goals in the first 20 minutes, but Paul Shaw gets one back with a magnificent 30 yard piledriver that beats the keeper to the far post.  Dortmund just pile on attack after attack, but Kruse holds up his end in the final 25 minutes of half 1 to go to the break 2-1.  Zlatan Azinovic makes another run to be our first-team keeper, rating a 9 in the second half of this one.  He wins his 2nd MoM award in 3 matches as this one finishes 2-1.  Not much going on in the 2nd half, but we're just getting everyone fit at this point anyway.

Loss, 1-2
A: 15,219

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 02:56:11 PM »

Quote from: "Jonathan"
The nice thing about this newest version of the game is that they have mutual contract termination. It used to be in CM that if you wanted to release someone, you had to pay off their entire contract. And the board rarely went for that.

I have tried the mutual contract option 3 times, none of the players went for it, including Kennedy that I'm trying to ditch so desperately here.  

Oh well.

slow-dog

• City Elder
    • http://www.slow-dog.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 02:56:41 PM »

Quote from: "Butter"
We sign another blast from the past

I hear Gazza is available.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 03:05:14 PM »

Does Les Ferdinand insist that you refer to him as "Sir Les"?
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 04:12:11 PM »

Joy of joys, Peter Kennedy has signed with Bristol Rovers!  We don't get a fee for him, but finally we're rid of that monster $240,000 per year contract that was eating a giant hole in our salary budget!  Kennedy signs for $220k per year for Rovers, but gets some regular football, and gets out of my way.

Another surprise, as Chelsea starlet Alexis Nicolas agrees to join us on loan.  This should help our midfield depth greatly, as Nicolas is a very talented defensive midfielder who is just 22 years old.  Chelsea will be paid 20% of his $100k salary for Nicolas to join us for the entire season.  Nicolas is a Cyprus international with 5 caps, and actually turned down a loan offer to us last season.

Friendly #4
@ Chesham (non-league)

Nicolas gets the start at DM, while Valois returns to left wing.  We start hopefully what will be our starting lineup this year, let's see what happens.

Steve Yates comes off injured in the 8th minute, which is not good.  Shaw again scores for us, after Les Ferdinand had a ball taken off his feet, but Shaw was there to tap into an open net.  Then Chesham score on an odd deflection, as St. Ledger tried to stick his leg out to clear a long range shot, but ended up sending it past Kruse.  We have way more chances in the first half, but don't finish well which was our problem last season.

Subs on for the 2nd half.  Nicolas rates our only 8, but we don't apply much pressure in the 2nd half, and we finish level.  Not a good sign that we can't manufacture much pressure against the non-leaguers.

Chesham has football fever as 87 whole people turned out for this match!

Draw, 1-1

Somehow, we hit work permit issues for an Australian player who is already playing for Crystal Palace's reserve squad.  Very odd.  I can only assume that he won't be playing for Palace either this year.

We again start our starters (aside from the back 4) against League 2 Lincoln.  Hopefully we can get forward a bit more against them.

Friendly #5
@ Lincoln (League 2)

Lincoln play an odd 3-3-2-1-1, with 9 players in their half of the field when not on the attack.  I can't say this is going to help me figure out if my formation is working or not.

Lincoln just thoroughly dominate us in half 1.  Kruse struggles again, allowing a goal on the only shot on target for Lincoln in the first half.  But our attacking formation yields exactly ZERO shots.  I leave the starters on, and they show me what's what by allowing Lincoln to score again in the very first minute of the half.  What a wretched effort by my first-teamers this is!  I leave the 1st team on until around the 65th minute, then bring on the subs.  What a travesty this game was!  We are dominated by Lincoln.  Yuk.

Loss, 2-0
A: 310

Not sure what to do, becuase I was banking on this formation to help turn things around this year, along with a couple of key additions.  That clearly hasn't been happening.  Kruse, who was so good at the end of last year, has just been awful during the preseason.  Ferdinand and Hammond haven't scored one goal in 5 starts here.  In fact, Paul Shaw has been the only scorer, netting all 3 of our goals thus far.  One more friendly to drill this formation home before we get set for the season.

Final friendly, and we start what will hopefully be our starting 11.  Navarro and Nicolas will have to switch off at DM, but they can move around as needed.
Lineup:
Def: Pritchard, Plummer, Yates, Burton
DM: Nicolas
Str: Ferdinand, Holmes

Friendly #6
@ Cambridge City (Conf. South)

We actually control play for most of the first half, but still find ourselves behind 1-0 after 45.  Valois looked dangerous finally on the left, and Derek Holmes had a couple of good chances, with Nicolas dominating the center.  Sadly, it was the center of defense breaking down again and allowing a goal that left us behind.  In the 60th, Elvis Hammond finally breaks through, thanks to a good ball forward by Derek Holmes.  Navarro gets a goal on a deflection in the 85th minute to finally earn us a win!  We looked like the classier team in the 2nd half for once, and finally get a victory.  Hammond and Kruse both earn 8's, and Hammond ran riot in the Cambridge defense for the final half hour.  Good way to finish up the pre-season, as Hammond solidifies his place in the starting XI.

Win, 1-2
A: 173

The board moves up to "very pleased" with my performance at the start of the season... I can only hope they're impressed by the signings I've put together.  Asprilla also joins us on August 1.

Promotion Odds
Blackpool 7:4
Sheffield Utd., Watford, Swindon, Bristol City 2:1
Doncaster 3:1
Peterborough 40:1

The bookmakers reckon promotion is unlikely this season without significant changes to your first team squad and this is reflected by your odds.  A mid-table finish is considered a far more realistic target.

The League Cup First Round draw is made, and we'll host Championship club Preston North End.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 04:38:45 PM »

Opening lineup:
Def: Pritchard, Plummer, Yates, Burton
DM: Nicolas
Subs: GK Azinovic, Str. Asprilla, DC Ireland, MC Spicer, DM Navarro

August 6, Match 1
@ Swansea
Fav: Swansea, Even

8'- Les Ferdinand with a good ball to Valois who tries to cross for Shaw, but it's gathered in by the keeper.

14'- Valois with another beautiful move finds Jess open on the right of the box.  Jess attacks and lays it off for Shaw who hits the crossbar!  A scramble finds the ball again at Valois' feet, but he can't cross in this time.

24'- Valois again slips a ball across the box to Shaw, who plays Ferdinand through... Les Ferdinand strikes it home with power!  1-0, Posh!  Beautiful strike at 12 yards for Les Ferdinand to break the seal on the season for us!

33'- Another good combination of passes, but Valois tries to do a bit too much and is dispossessed in the box.

Nicolas is flagging at the half, so Navarro enters for him.

62'- Swans with a point blank shot that hits the crossbar and is cleared.

70'- Asprilla on for a tiring Ferdinand as we welcome the old age club to the sidelines.  We also dial down the tempo to try and make our 1 goal lead last.

78'- Valois to Asprilla on the right of the box... Asprilla lays it back for Navarro at the arc, who shoots wide.

83'- Hammond is free, but is dispossessed... the ball falls to Valois, who lays it onto the run of Hammond... Hammond is free from 10 yards, but can't finish!  Asprilla charges onto the rebound, but can't get there before it's cleared away.

85'- A defensive breakdown as a Swans midfielder attacks the right side of the box after Yates gets lost in midfield... he is free to cross to an open striker at the back post, who finishes.  1-1.  Spicer in for a tired Jess.

We switch to an all-out attack to attempt to get it back.  I want 3 points!  We have numerous chances and are just killing Swansea in the middle!

91'- Shaw gets a throw from Yates, turns and tries his luck from 25 yards... the shot takes a deflection and goes in!!!!!  Magical stuff at the end as we get our well-deserved 3 points!!

Jean-Louis Valois with a well deserved 10 in midfield, winning MoM honors.  Plummer picks up a 9, Yates, Burton, Pritchard, and Shaw pick up 8's.  Valois completed 28/35 passes and made 15 forward runs.  15 is quite a lot!  No one else made more than 1.  What a start to the season as we salvage max. points!

Win, 1-2, start in 5th place
Shots/on target: Swans 12/3, Posh 11/7
Poss: 51-49, Swans
A: 12,139

Even better is that the chairman of the board made a public comment declaring the board extremely pleased with the result!  Wonderful start to the season!

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 04:40:12 PM »

Quote from: "slow-dog"
I hear Gazza is available.

:fist:

:lol

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 03:02:18 PM »

As we're going on vacation, this will be on hiatus until at least February 14th.

Which sux, because we had a good start to the season there, and I'm anxious to get back at it.

Well, that didn't sound right, but I'll see you in a week and a half.

slow-dog

• City Elder
    • http://www.slow-dog.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 04:37:46 PM »

Doesn't CR have the game?  Why don't you send the files to him?  I'm sure he'd be happy to cover for you while you're on vacation.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 07:47:35 PM »

For those of you that need a Football Manager 2005 fix, I started my own season featuring Tranmere Rovers. Hopefully it will help to fill the void.

Click here to read the Tranmere Chronicles.

As and added bonus, we're doing really well so far. Six wins and one draw in our first seven league matches.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2005, 06:38:16 AM »

Peterborough United regret to announce that as a direct result of Mr Butter fucking off to Orlando with his wife and kids - right in the middle of an important season for the club - it is dispensing with his services forthwith.

Chairman Barry Fry stated "I am disappointed in Mr Butter. What's more important, our team's morale or Mr Butter's kids flinging poop off of Space Mountain? Looks like we employed a douchebag"

An approach has been made to several managers, including Jonathan Dontknowlastname at Tranmere, who are currently flying high although club fans, headed by Slow Dog, are keen to enlist the services of Steve Crebel, presumably to up the number of female season ticket holders hoping to catch a glimpse of him in the dugout.

Mr Crebel's last club was "The Concorde Lounge" which had a good DJ but always seemed to play way too much 80's music whilst he was at the bar getting pissed. He is 69.
Opulence. I has it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up