Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: "I'm bound to pack it up"  (Read 6312 times)

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
"I'm bound to pack it up"
« on: February 07, 2005, 10:03:30 PM »

I've traveled to many of the major cities in the U.S. and now after my 2nd visit to Seattle, I've decided it's just where I belong. Spent a fan-fucking-tastic weekend there and talked to so many people about the pro's and con's. Very seldom did a con EVER come up in conversation. Usually it was just the weather and cost of living.

But it's the greatest city in the world for musicians and music lovers, crime is ridiculously low, the job market is decent, the air quality is unbelievable (needed NO sinus medicine there once...needed a pill after being on home turf for 15 minutes), it's a very large city with much to do, it's laid back, the scenery everywhere is incredible, it's stocked full with people my age and many aren't natives either..they re-located to Seattle as well. The list goes on and on.

The way I figure, I'm still young, single, no kids, don't own a house and I'm set to be laid off from my job sometime this fall, so I have no idea where my career is going anyway. So why the hell not?

I'm going back in late Summer/early Fall to get my bartender's license for the State of Washington just to have it in case it takes a while to get on my feet. Unless something major gets in my way, I plan on being on Un-Employment the last couple of months after I get laid off here, then packing my shit and heading out West after the first of the year in '06. I've figured out how much I need to save starting NOW until then to move. So big trips are out of the question the rest of this year for me (including Coachella and visiting Karen & Cunt.)

No family out there, but I have a few friends in Seattle. My biggest concern (other than finding work, of course) is that the suicide rate out there is very high, mostly due to the poor weather. This makes it slightly risky being that I'm a recovering alcoholic, but I went to an A.A. meeting out there and met some cool folks, and they have just as many available meetings there as here. So, I really don't look at that as a major issue.

So, I've talked to boat loads of locals out there. Anyone from there now or in the past with words on the city? Pros and Cons are welcome....con's especially.

JR
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Re: "I'm bound to pack it up"
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 10:08:01 PM »

Quote from: "JohnnyRoyale"
But it's the greatest city in the world for musicians and music lovers.

Obviously you haven't visited Austin, TX yet.   ;)

Seriously though, congrats man.  The only real con I can think of is the depression rate is a lot higher in Washington than anywhere else.  I think it has to do with the rain and cloudy days.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

72valiant

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 11:14:45 PM »

buy some full spectrum light bulbs.

do it.  sounds well thought out.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 11:40:52 PM »

I can't think of any cons. I love Seattle. Truly an awesome place.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 12:06:33 AM »

I'm going back in late Summer/early Fall to get my bartender's license for the State of Washington just to have it in case it takes a while to get on my feet.

Don't waste your time, nor money on this. Seriously. I went to bartending school back in the early/mid 90s and once I completed the course (two weeks, six hundred bucks), it was INCREDIBLY difficult to find a job. No one takes you seriously. They want bartenders with experience, not a piece of paper that says you know how to make hundreds of drinks no one will ever order.

I got lucky and someone eventually took pity and hired me. Sure enough, I learned very quickly that my "diploma" was pretty worthless. On the job experience taught me everything I needed to know. The only thing I really got out of bartending school was how to pour a shot without a shot glass, and the typical amounts of liquor for the most popular drinks. All shit you can learn on the job. Keeping a box or book of specialty drinks handy takes care of those rare instances someone orders a Harvey Wallbanger or Sidecar.

So, yeah, consider this my John Matarese moment. Don't waste your money.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 12:34:01 AM »

Listen to Scott...he knows what he's talking about.  I've never heard a story where someone did that school and then actually got a good job out of it.  

Also, i fyou're concerned about the weather/depression issues, you can talk to people who live in London.  Everyone I talk to about London thinks it's a great place except that it rains all the time.  Then they compare it to Seattle.  Sooo...naturally....

Otherwise, I dun know much about Seattle.  I went there in 6th grade and it rained.  The whole time.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 05:38:11 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I'm going back in late Summer/early Fall to get my bartender's license for the State of Washington just to have it in case it takes a while to get on my feet.

Don't waste your time, nor money on this. Seriously. I went to bartending school back in the early/mid 90s and once I completed the course (two weeks, six hundred bucks), it was INCREDIBLY difficult to find a job. No one takes you seriously. They want bartenders with experience, not a piece of paper that says you know how to make hundreds of drinks no one will ever order.

I got lucky and someone eventually took pity and hired me. Sure enough, I learned very quickly that my "diploma" was pretty worthless. On the job experience taught me everything I needed to know. The only thing I really got out of bartending school was how to pour a shot without a shot glass, and the typical amounts of liquor for the most popular drinks. All shit you can learn on the job. Keeping a box or book of specialty drinks handy takes care of those rare instances someone orders a Harvey Wallbanger or Sidecar.

So, yeah, consider this my John Matarese moment. Don't waste your money.

No, it's not a school. You actually HAVE to take a 4 hour course in the state of Washington to bartend even at a local watering hole. I knew this from my first visit. All the bartenders I talked to say it's B.S. and just a way for the state to make eays cash. They also say it's nearly impossible not to pass.

I also did go to a bartending school here in Cincy in 96'. You're right. I've had places NOT hire me around here because I used to list it. I don't even say I've done it anymore.

And Nate, yeah, I've had many tell me the same about Austin. But I've heard many more cons about Texas than Seattle...
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Doug

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 07:14:05 AM »

Sweet.  If I were in your position, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Good luck!

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 08:41:58 AM »

Have you visited Austin though?  The weather is at least better.  Plus they've got BBQ.....
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 09:30:29 AM »

JR - Follow your heart/instincts and just DO this... otherwise you may have to live with the possible regret of not doing it the rest of your life.  And that's no fun at all.

It's not as if it's the end of the universe. You're a short flight from all the people you know round here plus these people could come and stay with you too..... right*?

(*Can we book our trip yet, we've never seen Seattle and I am HUGELY intrigued by the place)
Opulence. I has it.

Action Jim

• Part of the problem
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 09:49:50 AM »

Hmm...the only con I can possibly think of is that I have an ex-girlfriend who would probably shoot me on sight that lives there.  In fact, she might shoot anyone that knows me on sight.  So if you meet any ladies out there that say "Oh, you're from Cincinnati, go you know that l.diddy guy?" you'd be better off denying it.  

I admire what you're doing.  I've been beating around the bush about getting the hell out of southern Ohio for the better part of a year, and haven't done it.
size=10]"If God had wanted man to play soccer, He wouldn't have given us arms."

"The future's so bright, I -- I can't bear to look."  - This Modern World[/size]

foolsgold

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 10:01:48 AM »

I'll echo everything CR said.  You'll never know if it is the place for you unless you try it.  And, if you discover that Seattle stinks (like all their sports teams), you can always go elsewhere (Portland is, by all accounts, great and you are a stone's throw from Vancouver.)

Action Jim

• Part of the problem
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 10:12:18 AM »

Quote from: "foolsgold"
Seattle stinks

It doesn't.  It's pretty damned awesome, actually.

"The future's so bright, I -- I can't bear to look."  - This Modern World[/size]

foolsgold

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 10:17:48 AM »

Quote from: "l.diddy"
It took me years to realize this, but playing stinky pinky by myself makes me feel complete.

That's super!

Action Jim

• Part of the problem
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 10:20:45 AM »

Quote from: "foolsgold"
Quote from: "l.diddy"
It took me years to realize this, but playing stinky pinky by myself makes me feel complete.

That's super!

You've grasped my hidden meaning!  How do you get inside my head like that?  I'd shake your hand, if all my fingers weren't so stinky.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up