Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Books in 2005  (Read 42234 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Rafe

  • Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
  • Posts: 3,346
Re: 50 Books in 2005
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2005, 04:06:38 PM »

Quote from: "MissKitty"

Adding to this:
Dynamo: Defending the Honour of Kiev by Andy Dougan (thanks Rafe!!)

Excellent. How did you find it?

I've recently finished "Crusader's Cross" by James Lee Burke, his new novel. As brilliant as ever, yet I felt a little distracted reading it at times, as the story in this and many of his other books are set in and around New Orleans and the Bayou Teche.

Yesterday I read "The Coronation Of Haile Selassie" by Evelyn Waugh, and I'm about to start on "The Snowman" by Jorg Fauser.
Logged
Am Meer

Jonathan

  • Future Boy
  • City Elder
  • Posts: 9,319
Re: 50 Books in 2005
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2005, 05:24:37 PM »

Quote from: "Rafe"
Quote from: "MissKitty"

Adding to this:
Dynamo: Defending the Honour of Kiev by Andy Dougan (thanks Rafe!!)

Excellent. How did you find it?

I found it to be an awesome book, myself.

If you're a history or WWII buff, you'll enjoy it. You don't have to be a soccer fan to like it.

Heads up...if you decide to look for it, in this country it's published under the title of "Dynamo: Triumph and Tragedy in Nazi-Occupied Kiev"
Logged
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

MissKitty

  • Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
  • Posts: 8,595
50 Books in 2005
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2005, 06:36:20 PM »

I loved it. It's an incredible story, and one that the Ukrainians should be rightfully proud of. Now I want to go to Kiev and see the statue/monument and lay flowers at the base.
Logged
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dan

  • Tetris Master
  • City Elder
  • Posts: 13,659
50 Books in 2005
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2005, 04:43:11 PM »

Quote from: "Dan"
1. Living to Tell the Tale - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
2. Bringing Down The House - Ben Mezrich
3. Me Talk Pretty One Day - Dave Sedaris
4. The Curious Case of Sid Finch - George Plimpton
5. The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams
6. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - Dave Eggers
7. The Beach - Alex Garland
8. High Fidelity - Nick Hornby
9. The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway

Adding to my extensive list:
10. Lullaby - Chuck Palahniuk
11. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
Logged

MissKitty

  • Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
  • Posts: 8,595
Re: 50 Books in 2005
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2005, 06:13:10 PM »

Quote from: "MissKitty"
So far this year, I've read:
1.Teasing Secrets From The Dead by Emily Craig
2.Toast by Nigel Slater
3.FM:The Rise & Fall of Rock Radio by Richard Neer
4.MeTalk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
5.Necromancy by the Blue Bean Bush: Krazy & Ignatz 1933-1934 by George Herriman
6.Baking Soda: Over 500 Fabulous, Fun and Frugal Uses You'Ve Probably Never Thought of by Vicki Lansky
7.Saturday Morning Fever by Timothy Burke & Kevin Burke
8.Fargo Rock City by Chuck Klosterman
9.Checkpoint by Nicholson Baker
10.Long Way Round by Charley Boorman and Ewan MacGregor
11.Alien Harvest by Linda Moulton Howe
12.Southern Fried Divorce by Judy Conner
13.The Escape of Alexei,Son of Tsar Nicholas II by Petro, Lysenko & Egorov
14.Survival in Auschwitz by Primo Levi
15.The Reawakening by Primo Levi
16.Hairstyles of the Damned by Joe Meno
17.Elliott Smith and The Big Nothing by Benjamin Nugent
18.Nicholas & Alexandra: At Home with the Last Tsar and His Wife by Marilyn P Swezey
19.John Peel by Mick Wall
20.Glimpes of Other Realities: Vol. 1: Facts & Eyewitnesses by Linda Moulton Howe
21.Frankland by James Whorton, Jr
22.House: A Memoir by Michael Rhulman
23.The Mystery of Olga Chekhova by Antony Beevor
24.Starstruck: When A Fan Get Too Close to Fame by Michael Joseph Gross
25.Knocked Up by Rebecca Eckler
26.Them: A Memoir of Parents by Francine Du Plessix Grey
27.Love & Death: The Murder of Kurt Cobain by Ian Halperin and Max Wallace
28.Bleachy Haired Honky Bitch: Tales from a Bad Neighborhood by Hollis Gillespie
29.Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince by JK Rowling
30.Disco Bloodbath: A Fabulous but True Tale of Murder in Clubland by James St. James
31.After The Wall by Jena Hensel
32.Playback by Marc Coleman
33.Dynamo: Defending the Honour of Kiev by Andy Dougan (thanks Rafe!!)

Adding to this:
34.Roomful of Mirrors: A Biography of Jimi Hendrix by Charles Cross
35.A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby

My current read is Arabella: England's Lost Queen by Sarah Gristwood
Logged
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Juliana

  • City Elder
  • Posts: 4,758
50 Books in 2005
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2005, 04:13:57 PM »

Quote from: "Juliana"

The Rainmaker- John Grisham
The Dark Tower- Stephen King
The Client- John Grisham
The Partner- John Grisham
The Trap- Tabitha King
Rising Sun- Michael Crichton
Big rock Beat- Greg Kihn
Rage- Richard Bachman/Stephen King
The Long Walk- Richard Bachman/Stephen King
Roadwork- Richard Bachman/Stephen King
The Running Man- Richard Bachman/Stephen King
Nightmares & Dreamscapes- Stephen King
The Bear Went Over the Mountain- William Kotzwinkle
Long Way Round : Chasing Shadows Across the World by Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman
Luncheonette : A Memoir by Steven Sorrentino
Home book: Paradise Alley by Kevin Baker
Work Book: On Writing by Stephen King
The Burgular who thought he was Bogart- Lawrence Block
The DaVinci Code- Dan Brown
The Burgular on the Prowl- Lawrence Block
The Burgular in the Closet– Lawrence Block
Gil's All Fright Diner- A. Lee Martinez
Eleanor Rigby: A Novel- Douglas Coupland  
The Pirates of Pensacola- Keith Thomson
Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince- J.K. Rowling
McSweeney's Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories
Two Trains Running by Andrew Vachhs
Stuffed by Brian M. Wiprud
Metropolis by Elizabeth Gaffney


Adding (though I still think I'm forgetting one or two or four)
Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell
Desert blood : the Juárez murders by Alicia Gaspar de Alba
Year of the hyenas : a novel of murder in ancient Egypt by Brad Geagley
Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone by J.K. Rowling
Midnight cab by James W. Nichol
Zorro by Isabel Allendale

That brings my total up to a lowly 35
Logged
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

MissKitty

  • Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
  • Posts: 8,595
Re: 50 Books in 2005
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2005, 10:12:17 AM »

Quote from: "MissKitty"
So far this year, I've read:
1.Teasing Secrets From The Dead by Emily Craig
2.Toast by Nigel Slater
3.FM:The Rise & Fall of Rock Radio by Richard Neer
4.MeTalk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
5.Necromancy by the Blue Bean Bush: Krazy & Ignatz 1933-1934 by George Herriman
6.Baking Soda: Over 500 Fabulous, Fun and Frugal Uses You'Ve Probably Never Thought of by Vicki Lansky
7.Saturday Morning Fever by Timothy Burke & Kevin Burke
8.Fargo Rock City by Chuck Klosterman
9.Checkpoint by Nicholson Baker
10.Long Way Round by Charley Boorman and Ewan MacGregor
11.Alien Harvest by Linda Moulton Howe
12.Southern Fried Divorce by Judy Conner
13.The Escape of Alexei,Son of Tsar Nicholas II by Petro, Lysenko & Egorov
14.Survival in Auschwitz by Primo Levi
15.The Reawakening by Primo Levi
16.Hairstyles of the Damned by Joe Meno
17.Elliott Smith and The Big Nothing by Benjamin Nugent
18.Nicholas & Alexandra: At Home with the Last Tsar and His Wife by Marilyn P Swezey
19.John Peel by Mick Wall
20.Glimpes of Other Realities: Vol. 1: Facts & Eyewitnesses by Linda Moulton Howe
21.Frankland by James Whorton, Jr
22.House: A Memoir by Michael Rhulman
23.The Mystery of Olga Chekhova by Antony Beevor
24.Starstruck: When A Fan Get Too Close to Fame by Michael Joseph Gross
25.Knocked Up by Rebecca Eckler
26.Them: A Memoir of Parents by Francine Du Plessix Grey
27.Love & Death: The Murder of Kurt Cobain by Ian Halperin and Max Wallace
28.Bleachy Haired Honky Bitch: Tales from a Bad Neighborhood by Hollis Gillespie
29.Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince by JK Rowling
30.Disco Bloodbath: A Fabulous but True Tale of Murder in Clubland by James St. James
31.After The Wall by Jena Hensel
32.Playback by Marc Coleman
33.Dynamo: Defending the Honour of Kiev by Andy Dougan (thanks Rafe!!)
34.Roomful of Mirrors: A Biography of Jimi Hendrix by Charles Cross
35.A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
36. Arbella: England's Lost Queen by Sarah Gristwood


Adding to this:
37. Instructions for American Servicemen in Britain 1942 by the War Department, Washington D.C. (thanks again Rafe--very interesting!)
38. Hitler's Canary by Sandi Toksvig (and kudos again R!)

My current read is Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar by Simon Sebag Montefiore
Logged
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Rafe

  • Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
  • Posts: 3,346
Re: 50 Books in 2005
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2005, 04:18:20 PM »

Quote from: "MissKitty"
38. Hitler's Canary by Sandi Toksvig

Did it read well? I'd be interested to know, as it's currently a possible christmas gift for someone Scandinavian.

Your list of books is bloody good so far. I held off from getting the Mick Wall book, though, as I was waiting patiently for the official Peelie biography that finally came out this week. can't wait to get hold of a copy next pay day!
Logged
Am Meer

trixi

  • Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,601
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
50 Books in 2005
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2005, 03:40:58 PM »

Quote from: "trixi"
Here's what I've read thus far:

Broker--John Grisham
The Cat Who Went Bananas--Lilian Jackson Braun
How Do Astronauts Scratch an Itch--David Feldman
Lovingly Alice--Phyllis Naylor Reynolds
Reunion--Jenny Carroll
This Pen for Hire--Laura Levine
White Lies and Barefaced Truths--Cathy Hopkins
Do Elephants Jump--David Feldman
Ninth Key--Jenny Carroll
Honeymoon--James Patterson
A Salty Piece of Land--Jimmy Buffett
Venetian Policeman--M.E. Rabb
Girls on Film--Zoey Dean
Blonde Ambition--Zoey Dean
My Scrumptious Scottish Dumplings--Cherry Whytock
Eleanor Rigby--Douglas Coupland
Darkest Hour--Jenny Carroll
Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood--Ann Brashares
Girls Rule!--Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Bras and Broomsticks--Sarah Mlynowski
No Place Like Home--Mary Higgins Clark
The Unsuspecting Gourmet--M.E. Rabb
The Bachelorette Party--Karen McCullah Luiz
Friends, Enemies--Rosie Rushton
Mutiny's Daughter--Ann Rinaldi
LBD: Live and Fabulous--Grace Dent
Haunted--Meg Cabot
Twilight--Meg Cabot
Maximum Ride--James Patterson
Baby Trail--Sinead Moriarty
I, Dred Scott--Shelia P. Moses
Unexpected Development--Marlene Perez
True Believer--Nicholas Sparks
Thirsty--M.T. Anderson
Soul Surfer--Bethany Hamilton
Teen Queens and Has-beens--Cathy Hopkins
Newly Wed--Nancy Krulik
Fat Boy Swim--Catherine Forde
4th of July--James Patterson
Petals in the Ashes--Mary Hooper
Doormat--Kelly McWilliams
Angel's Grace--Tracey Baptiste
Chloe Does Yale--Natalie Krinsky
Friday Night Cocktails--Allison Rushby
Love Rules--Dandi Daley Mackall
Dizzy--Cathy Cassidy
Broken China--Lori Williams
Shrimp--Rachel Cohn
Princess in Training--Meg Cabot
Luna-C--Jutta Goetze
A Long Way Down--Nick Hornby
24 Girls in 7 Days--Alex Bradley
Bollywood Babes--Narinder Dhami
Broken Song--Kathryn Lasky
Hello, America--Livia Bitton Jackson
Beckoners--Carrie Mac
Ped Palms--Cara Haycak
Finding Miracles--Julia Alvarez
Most Wanted--Michele Martinez
Sleep Rough Tonight--Ian Bone
Rhymes with Witches--Lauren Myracle
Nine Days a Queen--Ann Rinaldi
Alison Rules--Catherine Clark
Boyfriend List--E. Lockhart
Just Like That--Marsha Qualey
Rosie Dunne--Cecelia Ahern
And then He Ate My Boy Entrancers--Louise Rennison


Adding to the list:

The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank--Ellen Feldman
Singer--Jean Thesman
The Boy I Loved Before--Jenny Colgan
I Will Plant You a Lilac Tree: A Memoir of a Schindler's List Survivor--Laura Hillman
Lipstick Jungle--Candace Bushnell
Logged
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

MissKitty

  • Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
  • Posts: 8,595
Re: 50 Books in 2005
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2005, 07:06:42 AM »

Quote from: "Rafe"
Quote from: "MissKitty"
38. Hitler's Canary by Sandi Toksvig

Did it read well? I'd be interested to know, as it's currently a possible christmas gift for someone Scandinavian.

Your list of books is bloody good so far. I held off from getting the Mick Wall book, though, as I was waiting patiently for the official Peelie biography that finally came out this week. can't wait to get hold of a copy next pay day!


Yeah it was an excellent read. Thanks for hooking me up!

I wouldn't bother with the Mick Wall book--it was thrown together and got very uninteresting halfway through. And you KNOW Peel's life was anything but uninteresting. He rushed that book out.

Let me know what you think of the official bio.
Logged
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

bluebastard

  • City Elder
  • Posts: 441
  • No more Wilco
    • portfolio
50 Books in 2005
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2005, 03:22:12 PM »

Quote from: "bluewilco"

Seinlanguage - Jerry Seinfeld
Harvest (33 1/3 Series) - Sam Inglis
Leviathan - Paul Auster
A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
Shakey - Jimmy McDonough
The Letters of HST, Vol. 1 - Hunter S. Thompson
Henderson the Rain King - Saul Bellow
Ruining it for Everybody - Jim Knipfel
Quiting the Nairobi Trio - Jim Knipfel
On Bullshit - Harry Frankfurt
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Everything is Illuminated - Jonathan Foer
Chronicles Vol. 1 - Bob Dylan
My Friend Leonard - James Frey
Actual Air - David Berman
Music Lust - Nic Harcourt
Skirt and Fiddle - Tristan Egolf
How We Are Hungry - Dave Eggers
Let it Blurt: The Life and Times of Lester Bangs, America's Greatest Rock Critic - Jim Derogatis


The Polysyllabic Spree - Nick Hornby
Music Lust - Nic Harcourt
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer (I proclaim this as the best book of 2005 and so much better than Everything is Illuminated)

Books I'm working on:

Bait and Switch - Barbara Ehrenreich
Prison Letters - Leonard Peltier

I know I won't make it to 50, but this challenge has pushed me to read more than I usually do, and I've found a lot of good books because of it. My goal is to actually make it to 50 next year.
Logged

Megs79

  • Lunchlady Arms
  • City Elder
  • Posts: 1,444
50 Books in 2005
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2005, 03:30:41 PM »

I might try this next year.  I am probably pretty close to 50, but I don't remember what all I read.  

do audiobooks count?
Logged

MissKitty

  • Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
  • Posts: 8,595
50 Books in 2005
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2005, 05:48:24 PM »

Quote from: "Megs79"
I might try this next year.  I am probably pretty close to 50, but I don't remember what all I read.  

do audiobooks count?


I don't know if audiobooks count or not. I would think not, but honestly I am not sure.
Logged
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Rafe

  • Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
  • Posts: 3,346
Re: 50 Books in 2005
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2005, 06:07:18 PM »

Quote from: "MissKitty"
Let me know what you think of the official bio.

Will do. Hopefully I'll get it at the week-end! If it's utterly brilliant (which I'm thinking/hoping it will be), I'll send you a copy.
Logged
Am Meer

MissKitty

  • Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
  • Posts: 8,595
Re: 50 Books in 2005
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2005, 08:28:20 AM »

Quote from: "Rafe"
Quote from: "MissKitty"
Let me know what you think of the official bio.

Will do. Hopefully I'll get it at the week-end! If it's utterly brilliant (which I'm thinking/hoping it will be), I'll send you a copy.


Cheers mate! :)
Logged
Duct tape can't fix stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up