Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Warcraft III  (Read 7112 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Warcraft III
« on: February 25, 2005, 06:53:55 PM »

Does anyone else play this as much as me?

Just thought I'd see if I knew anyone on battle.net....
I can't play AT for some random reason.  Sad, isn't it?  But still it's fun to know if there's someone I can look for.

LanneyD

• Asleep in the Back
  • City Elder
Warcraft III
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 10:21:56 PM »

i used to play the single player game quite a bit, until my hard drive crapped out on me...havent' installed it since.
I lived my dream today
and I have lived it yesterday
-The Libertines

The Schnoo

• Summer Resident
    • http://www.randomville.com
Warcraft III
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 04:43:33 PM »

Oh man, I love WC3, especially frozen throne, but I don't play much anymore now that WoW has taken over my very being!

-The Schnoo
ools, you will pay with your lives.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Warcraft III
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 04:22:42 AM »

The schnoo?  Is back posting?  What's this???

Yeah, I still play that game daily.  Or multi-daily.  It's bad.  I'm scared for myself, although I did walk into an Electronics Boutique today and saw that Gran Turismo 4 is out.  I might have to buy that and then forsake my good friend WC3.  We'll see.

Oh, and when I say WC3, I mean TFT, of course.

Doug

Warcraft III
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 07:30:11 AM »

Quote from: "mistergugi"
The schnoo?  Is back posting?  What's this???

Didn't you know, you can invoke the demon Scnoo by speaking any number of video game titles out loud.  If you repeat it three times in the mirror, he shows up with a pitcher of margaritas.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Warcraft III
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 04:26:35 PM »

Update:
I won my 500th Ladder Game today.  I wonder if that means anything?

Doug

Warcraft III
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 07:41:11 AM »

It means you have no life.

I started playing this a couple weeks ago and I suckity-suck.  I can't even finish the 4th or 5th mission in the campaign.  I need more practice with it I guess.  My problem lies in that I can't keep track of resource management, building and troop deployment all at the same time.  I wish there was a pause so I could scroll around the map and take a breath.  I tend to under utilize or not utilize at all, my magic users and hero spells to.  I heal my dudes, but that's about it.

So, MisterG', got any strategy tips for me?

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Warcraft III
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 12:10:19 PM »

Absolutely.  
I don't know where you are or what your doing/not doing, so forgive me if some of this is basic.  

First, you know you can hot key your groups, right?  And you can hot-key your buildings?  And then you can set your rally point on your hero from your buildings.  So what this means is say you are out exploring a map with a group of footmen and your hero.  You just hit 1 to grab them all, and walk.  While walking, you can hit, say Zero (it's what I always hotkey my barracks with) and then tell your barracks to make more footmen without having to move your screen away from the action.  Then the footmen will come out and walk straight to your hero, and you can just quickly add them to your hotkey group on 1 with Shift+1.  I think this is very helpful.

Second, make sure you learn some of the basic hotkey commands.  Including, for instance, that Holy Light is the T button.  Don't forget that your first hero is always that F1 button, second hero is F2, and so on.  That's something that I forgot early on.  

Third, in the campaign (which I've only played through once for each ROC and FT on normal), a mix of units is probably a good idea.  But if you're ever playing the computer or a person, the general strategy is to mass the same units to the point where they don't have a counter for that many of that particular unit.  Even a boatload of ghouls with a Demon Lord and his Vampiric Aura can be a very effective strategy.  But in the campaign, you'd have to tell me more about the individual board that you're on.  What race, what's the challenge, etc.

Fourth, Magic Users.  This is harder and you just have to get used to using the hot key commands and a quick mouse (which no doubtedly you have).  One's micro skills can make the difference in a game.  If it's an army against some small-time creeps, remember that you can walk away whatever unit that's taking a beat-down and the creeps will usually switch to another unit to attack.  Just cycle through your units so that none of them die but all of them are weakened, and you can take out creeps more effectively.  You can hold down the "alt" button so that all hit-point bars are showing on screen and then you know which ones are about to die, and then run them away.

As far as your particular resource management issues, I just suggest the hotkey-ing the buildings and simply getting used to checking back in with your buildings.  But if you have the hot key pattern down, it goes by really quick.  Like, I just hit Zero, then H twice and all of a sudden I have two Huntresses queued up.  It took like 0.5 seconds.  

Soooo, if this doesn't help, can you give me more details about what's going on in your campaign?  What Race?  What hero do you have?  And what spells do you have?  What magic users are you allowed at this point?  You are playing Frozen Throne, right?  Or are you playing Reign of Chaos?

Doug

Warcraft III
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 01:53:10 PM »

I'm playing Reign of CHaos.  My problem is, I hate the keyboard, so I usually only use it to scrol around.  I guess I'm gonna' have to start using it more if I want to get better at it.  Thanks for the tips.

rva

Warcraft III
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 02:37:29 PM »

Yeah, one of the things I hated about Warcraft was the way the computer could beat you by simply not having to enter commands manually.  You're moving madly back and forth healing people and trying to get them to march.  His guys are healing as they are changing direction and he's got 4 armies sneaking up from the other side.  

Bullshit, I tellsya.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Warcraft III
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 02:56:37 PM »

Well, it's fun that they have a setting that's called "Computer - Insane" which is when they do that, rva.  If I play the computer, I'll play like three opponents, in which only one is Insane b/c they aren't lying.  I've played against a group of computer armies and totally had the upper hand the whole game.  One of my superior performances and all that, and then I ran into the Insane army.  We fought it out and both went home limping.  I come back at him a moment later with half my army as I'm rebuilding, and suddenly he's got a fully refreshed total army there.  It's like HOLY COW!  That wasn't realistic.

But yeah, DSM, as much as you hate the keyboard I find that it's a vital part of the game.  It just makes your playing so so so so much faster, and speed is the key in a real-time game. I actually never use the keyboard for scrolling, but that's just me. I like the hot-key commands that are all invovled with the left hand, and I think scrolling's over there on the right.  I'm sure you can get better at the game without the keyboard, but I'm not your man for advice in that situation.

ROC is fun - if you haven't downloaded the patches yet, the Demon Hunter's Mana Burn is still set at 100/200/300 which kicks ass.  I forget what the other differences are since it's been three years.  But I do remember that the first championship went to some guy who just used a boatload of huntresses, so there's probably something in their settings which is overly powerful as well.  

But just remember, use the rally point on your hero and the more you play the game, the more comfortable you become with the process.  If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: Warcraft III
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 11:12:19 AM »

Update:
In January 2007 I was up late one weekend playing online 4 vs 4. As sometimes would happen, some jackass decided to kill his own teammates. I don't know why, but I really fought back and tried to kill him instead of just quitting off. I spent like an hour trying to do this. I really could have done it, too, but he out maneuvered me in a couple of points and I was pissed off. I mean, really pissed off. For reasons I cannot explain, I was so pissed off that this game had taken 4 years of my life, I'd spent my time with jerks like that guy, and ... I don't know... I knew I had a habit and I knew I had to break it. So I stood up. I took the disc out of my computer. I put it in its case. I took the case and put it in my garbage. I took my garbage and went out into the hall, downstairs to the trash room, and threw my garbage out into the building's containers. I went back upstairs and went to bed.

The next day I felt relieved. A little hollow and empty too, but I expected that.

Thus Warcraft III, from July 2002 until January 2007 (with one small Gran Turismo break around fall 2004) was my sole video game vice. That's a pretty addictive and awesome game. (And also why I've never played World of Warcraft - I'm too scared of something like that.)

I am posting here because, obviously, I've moved on.

Except that last night... I had a VERY vivid dream involving a Warcraft III game. I was on a map in which I had a couple of the Night Elf heroes and was running around. I had a few archers with me - why I didn't have a whole army I don't know - and I don't remember much else. I do remember trying to use Entangling Roots. Much of the rest of the dream has faded.

Due to this creepy dream ... it's actually occurred to me to perhaps buy the game again and get back into it. Is this a bad idea? The only positive I can think of would be that it'd finally end my FM2010 addiction. Is trading one addiction for another of any use?

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 11:25:05 AM »

Maybe you should throw your computer away.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

rva

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 01:15:14 PM »

The only positive I can think of would be that it'd finally end my FM2010 addiction. Is trading one addiction for another of any use?

FM2011 comes out 11/5/2010.  Or you could always start playing FM Live.  I'm sure that'll suck a few years out of your life.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 01:45:40 PM »

My computer can't handle FM2010 unless I'm only in Classic 2D mode and then "processes" for so long between days that I can do my chores and such. I'm seriously doubting it can handle 2011, and definitely can't handle FM Live. I would upgrade, but I'm still climbing back out of the hole my unemployment caused and that has to be delayed for a while. (Although, now that we are here - I do want to buy a PS3 and Final Fantasy 13. That would end my current addiction REAL fast.)

I do wonder though - do people still play Warcraft III? That dream was a happy dream. I LIKED it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up