Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whaddya think of Pawn Shoppe Heart?  (Read 4048 times)

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
Whaddya think of Pawn Shoppe Heart?
« on: May 21, 2004, 04:02:40 PM »

I probably should have picked this up today, but I really would like to hear what you guys think before I lay out the $.  I know a few of you mentioned buying it, so what's the verdict.

Some of the reviews made me hesitant because they kept describing it as having stronger rock-sounding vocals.  Is that an exaggeration?

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 04:10:15 PM »

It's alright, but not consistant. I think I need to listen to it a few more times before laying down a verdict, because about half of the disc didn't even register with me when I listened to it the other day.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

rva

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 04:16:28 PM »

I'm with MK (shocker!).  

I was reading how this was the album that showed they were legitimate artists in their own right.  I bought and there were about four or five tunes that were definitely quite good.  

But nothing else stood out at all, in fact I kinda zoned out and forgot what I was listening to.   I bought this on a crazy spree with Modest Mouse and The Libertines and The Tyde, all of which I am now completely hooked on.  So I haven't really given it the second chance it deserves.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 04:16:30 PM »

I'm planning on getting it...I really enjoy listening to "C'mon, C'mon" - which begs the question...how representative is that track of the rest of the album? Or will I end up being disappointed?
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

europopkid

• http://www.livejournal.com/~europopkid
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 04:16:41 PM »

it's a well-produced piece of garage rock, nothing more, nothing less.  jason von bondies got above average pipes and he channels some blues influences here and there, but none of it really goes beyond homage.  the single ("c'mon, c'mon) might be the most immediately catchy thing on the record, but there are a few other songs that are definitely pretty good.

the record on the whole gets progressively less and less exciting with repeated spins, always a bad sign.  i decided that i didn't like how clean the record sounded--it sounds sterile.  it's garage rock for the dude/bro set.

i'd pass this one up 'cos come end of the year time, no one's going to be talking about this record.
Pages: [1]   Go Up