Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best of 2015  (Read 435 times)

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
Re: Best of 2015
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 11:47:12 AM »

I was turned on to Public Service Broadcasting by their NPR Tiny Desk Concert.  I thought that set was a lot of fun and watching them play was fascinating.  Based on that I bought the album and to me it's just not the same, it's very cold and over-produced sounding in my opinion.  I also think the voice clips are over done... just way too many of them, for my taste.  I'll check out the new one, because I do like their sound but I hope it's a little more raw than the previous effort.

It's available on NPR's first listen.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 11:51:36 AM »

Spotify as well, listened to it just now.  I guess they're just a very produced recorded band.  I'm not saying it's not good, it's definitely well done and I like this one better than the last.  But I do think the production values subtract something from the sound.

The voice bits are also more coherent in this one.  Reminds me of Simon and Garfunkel's "Silent Night"... moving stuff, especially "Fire in the Cockpit" and "The Other Side".

Thanks for prompting the listen!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:54:06 AM by Kwyjibo »
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 02:21:46 PM »

I've described them as kind of Daft Punk-ish. I'm not 100% sure how it'd translate into a live show, but I'd still check them out.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/mistergugi
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 03:28:16 PM »

I saw them last year and it was good. We just bought tickets to see them in April. Woo!

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 08:51:06 AM »

Really loving the new Humans album Noontide something fierce.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 12:35:45 PM »

Jesse Malin's New York Before the War is setting me alight today. Such a good album.

British India's Nothing Touches Me gives me all the feels. <3
And really digging Umami's Ephemeral. It reminds me a bit of My Gold Mask at times.

Oh yeah, and The Wave Pictures Great Big Flamingo Burning Moon. No secret how much I LOVE those guys.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 12:38:39 PM by MissKitty »

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 01:09:32 PM »

I've loved everything I've heard off Ghostpoet's "shedding skin" album. He's also becoming one of my favorite people on twitter.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 09:52:33 AM »

Built to Spill's Untethered Moon is hitting my sweet spot today. Nice one!

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 12:53:47 PM »

Can't stop listening to Tame Impala's Let It Happen - really hope the rest of the album is as good. I never got into Lonerism - it just seemed to me like a less interesting rehash of Innerspeaker - but this sounds quite different, really cool Daft Punk-esque overtones.

In other (belated) news, Fyfe and All We Are's albums are every bit as excellent as I hoped, so I highly recommend a listen :)

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 10:53:18 PM »

Can't stop listening to Tame Impala's Let It Happen - really hope the rest of the album is as good. I never got into Lonerism - it just seemed to me like a less interesting rehash of Innerspeaker - but this sounds quite different, really cool Daft Punk-esque overtones.

In other (belated) news, Fyfe and All We Are's albums are every bit as excellent as I hoped, so I highly recommend a listen :)
As an uber-fan of Tame Impala (I had Lonerism as my No. 2 album of the year in 2012, and also loved Innerspeaker), I admit to having conflicted feelings about Let It Happen. Is it bad? of course not. But neither did it jump in my face as something that is a must-have, can't miss. It's such a long track that seems to build and build to explode, but then doesn't. Just a super-long drone. Still looking forward to the new album, obviously. AND Tame Impala will play in Cincinnati in early June at the Bunbury Festival. So looking forward to that.

Thank you for the heads up on Fyfe and All We Are. Will check those out.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 11:08:46 PM »

And really digging Umami's Ephemeral.
Really liking that album... thanks for the tip
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 11:11:26 PM »

Father John Misty
https://soundcloud.com/burgerrecords/danny-james-etc-lydia
I really need to check out Father John Misty... heard many great things
Belated comment on this: it's OK... but great? Not for me... Seems to me this has been over-hyped

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2015, 11:19:45 PM »

Pollyester - City of O
Loving it! Right up my alley

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 09:20:44 AM »

Pollyester - City of O
Loving it! Right up my alley
Glad to hear that you are digging it. Such a great, fun album.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up