Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: so, what radio station should i listen to?  (Read 1037 times)

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
Re: so, what radio station should i listen to?
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 09:03:53 AM »

I hate that it's happening to her. I hope she finds something quickly, a talent like hers shouldn't go unseen/unheard.

I am kind of gleeful that The Current is getting such negative press over this. But maybe that's just because I'm pissed that they let my friend go.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 10:43:27 AM »

I also get the idea that she was caught unawares.  I mean, she posted a picture from work earlier that day of donuts that were brought in by Doomtree.  Doesn't seem like something that a person would do on the day they know they're getting the ax.

I can kind of understand that from MPR's side, though. 

You probably don't want to let someone go and then be like "Oh, but can you still do your shift?"  That seems kind of wrong, plus it's probably not a great idea to hand someone a live mic in that situation.

OTOH, you don't want to have someone show up for work and be like "Go home, you're fired" because then they'd be like "Well, why'd I have to come to work then?"

So it seems like the only way you can do it is right after they finish their shift. 

Of course, the easiest and best way to avoid the whole thing is just by not doing something stupid and letting go of Babs in the first place.

I get the feeling they were looking for a younger crowd.  Which is almost certainly not going to work.  But on air radio seems like it is dead anyway.  :(

I would think Babs would be a great candidate for an internet gig, having worked in two markets both of which drew internet listeners.  Her show was the only time I listened to The Current, which had become increasingly bad over the last few years.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 10:53:37 AM »

Oh, I get all that.  Just agreeing with the previous comment that it was probably a blindsiding.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

jcarwash31

• Citizen
    • The Big Stuff Project
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 01:28:16 PM »

not sure what the facebook reaction was but twitter was fairly damning towards MPR for that crap.
I don't do the twitter, but I imagine what you saw on twitter was the same over at the facebook. It's amusing, any time The Current posts something all the comments are about Barb.

jcarwash31

• Citizen
    • The Big Stuff Project
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015, 03:52:26 PM »

There is a new station in the Twin Cities that will supposedly be somewhat similar to the Current. It might be a boon to the new format if they can bring in Barb and let her do her thing.

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/287564321.html

No on-air personalities or commercials will be heard on the station during January. However, come February there will be DJs and a new schedule, said Joe Pohlad, executive vice president of Northern Lights Broadcasting.

K-TWIN “did not have enough of an identity musically,” admitted Pohlad, grandson of late Twins owner Carl Pohlad. “Go 96.3 is going to be different.”

Those words may ring bogus to frequent dial spinners since, say, Walk the Moon and Hozier are already played on three or four Twin Cities FM stations. But Pohlad stressed that the catalog will run deep at the station, with 10,000-plus songs already lined up. He also promised to put more Minnesota music in steady rotation and occasional hip-hop songs.

“Really, it will be more up to the on-air personalities to choose what they play,” he said, naming another way Go 96.3 will differ from most of its competitors.

Yay! They hired Barb!

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 04:33:30 PM »

Sitting here listening to Amazing Radio and writing new bands that catch my ear on a post-it pretty much every other song, like in the good old days. I highly reccomend it ;)

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 04:55:16 PM »

Sitting here listening to Amazing Radio and writing new bands that catch my ear on a post-it pretty much every other song, like in the good old days. I highly reccomend it ;)

I have an account on amazingtunes. Every time I hear a song that I like, I go over and add it to my playlists so I can keep track of them all. I get the same feeling :)

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 05:32:33 PM »

I have an account on amazingtunes. Every time I hear a song that I like, I go over and add it to my playlists so I can keep track of them all. I get the same feeling :)
YAY! :D

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2015, 11:48:06 AM »

YAY! :D

I have two playlists and torment a friend at work on a regular basis (I'm cuddlyevil there too, find me!).
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up