Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random music thoughts  (Read 180785 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Random music thoughts
« Reply #3330 on: December 07, 2016, 11:29:59 AM »

I kinda like Car Seat Headrest in a goofy way.  But the world did not need a remix of a song that has already lost what charm it had, and when that charm was largely due to lo-fi slackerness appeal.  Killer Whales.  Killer Whales.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #3331 on: December 11, 2016, 08:29:50 AM »

do all y'all slyvan esso loathers likewise loathe daughter? 
poach eggs, not elephants

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #3332 on: December 12, 2016, 11:36:03 AM »

It's 2016.  Can we stop playing "Baby, It's cold outside?"

It skeeves me out both in it's creepy perviness AND it's antiquated Victorian values simultaneously.

Yeah. It is rather rapey.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

Butter

• Probably in the car
  • City Elder
  • No, THIS is 40.
« Reply #3333 on: December 12, 2016, 01:47:29 PM »

Ethan had a karaoke party with his choir group this past weekend.

Told me he duet sang "Baby It's Cold Outside" with a girl classmate. 

I did not ask him if they discussed the rapey overtones of this song, but apparently is still considered a classic in many circles.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #3334 on: December 21, 2016, 12:20:31 PM »

good for nku for trying, i guess. barb briefly returning had me listening again....i mean, we were halfway back to woxy in spirit at that point....

despite the occasional pleasant surprise though (usually older stuff like love and rockets or DK), i can't get all the way on board.

seems like the friday night mix tape thing is solid but overall station personality is kind of the same.
it's probably tough to be  a station on the dial and not play vampire weekend and sylvan esso at this point.
...and on the woxy wind came forth a tumblin' dickweed.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3335 on: December 21, 2016, 02:13:53 PM »

do all y'all slyvan esso loathers likewise loathe daughter?

I'm neutral on daughter. I'm actually somewhat neutral on Sylvan Esso as well except for I can't stand "Radio."

They just don't seem that much alike to me.  Although yeah, I can get why you would draw a parallel-- indie-folkish, chick lead singer with a breathy voice, etc.  I would have to sit down and analyze what makes them different in my mind and I don't really want to do that for two acts I care very little about.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #3336 on: December 23, 2016, 11:38:22 AM »

perhaps sade meets coffee house? 
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3337 on: January 01, 2017, 01:27:14 PM »

"Alexa, Spotify Play Album 'Fables of the Reconstruction'"

"Playing Fables of the Reconstruction by REM"

"Alexa, Spotify Play Album 'Reconstruction of the Fables"

"Playing Fables of the Reconstruction by REM"

Take that Steve from freshman year dorm.  If only we could have fastforwarded 25+ years in time and settled this argument.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #3338 on: January 02, 2017, 08:54:47 PM »

Finally watching the Soundbreaking series from last month on PBS. It inspired me to look at the list of best-selling albums of all time (at least according to Wikipedia and are those that have sold at least 20 million copies): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums

Yes, I own the top one on the list, as I think a very high percentage of middle school girls owned a copy of Thriller.
What surprised me, although it really shouldn't have, is that I only own 14 of the 75 albums listed. Given I still have several hundred CDs (plus a few dozen cassettes), it's not lack of a musical collection that is keeping the number down.

It is a fascinating list, as other than Adele's 21 from 2011, the only albums since the turn of the century were The Beatles - 1 (2000), Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (2000), Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (2002), Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP (2000), Adele - 25 (2015), Britney Spears - Oops!... I Did It Again (2000), Usher - Confessions (2004), and Shakira - Laundry Service (2001). (Note that I don't own any of these.)
also known as rcc94

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3339 on: January 12, 2017, 10:47:20 PM »

Sad but seemingly true, the long tradition of the "Cincinnati Entertainment Awards", a staple of the local music community, seems to have died. My daughter pointed it out to me the other day.

It was an event that was put on by CityBeat and featured the best and brightest of local bands in all kinds of music (from rock to punk to bluegrass to hip-hop, you name it). It also featured "best new bands" which would get a showcase at Bogart's in mid-January (and a big write-up in CityBeat). The actual awards events had been held at the Madison in recent years in late January.

I've attended some of these events over the years, more so in recent years due to Leggy. They were nominated for "best new band" 2 years ago and I attended the Bogart's showcase, where there was a massive crowd (at least 1,000 people I'm guessing).

Leggy was nominated for "Artist of the Year" last year (they didn't win) but the awards event at the Madison (with lots of live performances) was also attended massively.

Now, nothing. Wow, just wow.

(I should point out that CityBeat got sold a year or 2 ago to an out of town (I think Nashville) buyer. CityBeat has also since then relinquished the programming/organizing of MidPoint, to less than stellar effect, IMHO.)

Now it's all gone. Why, oh why?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #3340 on: January 13, 2017, 08:16:41 PM »

Sad but seemingly true, the long tradition of the "Cincinnati Entertainment Awards", a staple of the local music community, seems to have died. My daughter pointed it out to me the other day.

Now it's all gone. Why, oh why?
Hey Euro...this is what Sledge posted on his facebook page last week when he was asking the very same thing:

Just heard from Mike Breen, and he confirmed the move: "We are pushing the CEAs back to November, around Thanksgiving, where they were for most of the event's history. We'd moved it to January to separate it from MidPoint when we ran the fest; now that we don't, we're going to move it back to November." So there you have it.
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3341 on: January 14, 2017, 12:11:08 AM »

thanks for that inside info, Trixi, glad to hear this event hasn't died... although we'll have to see whether it will really happen come November.

To be honest, I have doubts about the future of CityBeat itself. I hope it can stay around, lord sure knows we need it. But I'm worried....
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223]   Go Up