Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Google Print  (Read 2556 times)

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
Google Print
« on: March 27, 2005, 09:51:36 PM »

Check this out.

Google now has complete texts online at Google Print.  Or they plan to.  It looks like this is still in early Beta stages.
And it's as easy as this: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Great.  I'm probably overreacting here, but isn't this the sort of thing that's making public libraries obsolete?
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
Google Print
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 10:50:09 PM »

I think you might be overreacting. I tried desperately to figure out how to read more than the title page of the 20,000 Leagues example you posted, and let me tell you, once I figured a way, it was neither simple nor pleasant. On the Google Print page, they even say that most books you'll only be able to read small excerpts. I assume the ones you might be able to read the entirety of are ones that are in the public domain and not subject to publisher or author royalties.

So, no, I don't think the sky is falling on libraries here. Though I must admit, the appeal of not having to leave my house to track down an obscure book I want to read is alluring.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
Google Print
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 11:13:22 PM »

Well yeah, you're right.  I mean, it did say they had permission of the author and/ or publisher for the texts they do have.  I just see this as something that will most likely be replacing libraries as we now know them.  And I think it will be gradual.  It still makes me spaz, though.

When I go to my public library, they have this huge poster on the front door about the lack of funding for Ohio's libraries.  And considering that it was just a year ago that they were considering closing down some of the Dayton branches, well, it just freaks me out a bit because I love the library!  I mean, things were so bad, they actually had a hold on purchasing new items, were forced to suspend their bookmobile service, cut back hours (including all Sunday hours), and even closed the branch at the Dayton Mall.  It majorly sucked.  Thus my freak-out.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Google Print
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 11:25:09 PM »

we're all allowed to freak out some.  i freaked out a little bit when I heard CBGBs might close.  But then I did the research, and reading all the mumbo-jumbo made just sort of say, 'eh', and move on.  i still hope they work it out, though.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
Google Print
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 11:47:49 PM »

Yeah, well for me freaking out is a very good thing.  Because then I know I actually care about something beneath all the layers of apathy.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Google Print
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 08:53:22 AM »

They did get a local levy passed recently (thanks to us in addition to thousands of others), but then when my mortgage statement came and I owed $380 extra on my escrow that increased my mortgage payment about $45 a month, that kinda pissed me off.

The Dayton library is doing better than it was (my mom worked there for several years, and I also did for about 2 years), but they'll continue to be the easy target and victim of budget cuts for the foreseeable future.  And I probably won't vote for another levy for a few years if it's a new one.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
Google Print
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 09:40:24 AM »

Taft is proposing huge library funding cuts in his budget. I hate that asshole.
Well.......

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Google Print
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 09:44:50 AM »

Quote from: "clemsonfan"

All part of the bigger conspiracy to keep people uninformed and ignorant. If they don't know what's going on, how can they revolt against it?
Opulence. I has it.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
Google Print
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 10:16:15 AM »

The really sad part is one of Hope Taft's biggest philanthropic works is a literacy campaign (including head start), she's probably less than pleased with her hubby.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
Google Print
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 11:00:54 AM »

What's a libary?
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Google Print
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 11:05:01 AM »

It's lie-berry, you uncultured twat.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
Google Print
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 05:31:19 PM »

Yep, that's why he draws most of my ire.  I don't really pay attention to other issues, though.  

I think someone ought to give him the Lunar Special.

postfeminist

• Tourist
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/rivkah_rut/
Google Print
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 05:24:36 PM »

Taft sucks.

google print is scary!
i]should i, after teas and cakes and ices,
have the strength to force the moment to its crisis?[/i]

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
Google Print
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2005, 06:08:33 PM »

Quote from: "Cockney Rebel"
All part of the bigger conspiracy to keep people uninformed and ignorant. If they don't know what's going on, how can they revolt against it?

You can tell you're European. Keep the red flag flying.
Am Meer
Pages: [1]   Go Up