Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Should you pay to borrow?  (Read 6960 times)

Doug

Should you pay to borrow?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 10:52:19 AM »

Yep, that's a lot.  I wish mine only increased 20$ a year.  That I could handle.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2005, 10:57:20 AM »

fwiw, last time I sent an e-mail to my local senator and representative, I received replies--they were a few months after the fact, but I received them nonetheless.

And frankly, I think it will take a miracle to get someone on the ballot who cares as much about the public library system as we do.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 11:09:10 AM »

Maybe I should run.

(Like I would have any chance in hell of winning!) :lol
Well.......

Doug

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 11:11:54 AM »

You already have my vote.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2005, 11:20:44 AM »

I think CR is right about a slippy(?) slope.  Our libraries here started to cut their hours back the middle of last year.  Was a real bite because several of us taking grad classes wanted to use their meeting rooms.  Hard to do when they close at 7PM in some locations!

I also noticed a huge difference in the way each county runs their library.  I came from a great set-up in Douglas county to having to run to different branches in Johnson county to find what I'm looking for.  *grump, grump*

Yep, let people know what you think about the funding cuts!!!

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2005, 12:24:37 PM »

Quote from: "Cockney Rebel"
The American library system is a thing of awe in my opinion.

These budget cuts and laws are the first step to the slippy slope that will result in the UK library system. Which is total and utter shit.

so what exactly is the UK library system like?  I'm curious.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2005, 12:37:58 PM »

Quote from: "Buzzstein"
so what exactly is the UK library system like?  I'm curious.
Next to no new books. Tatty old books. Crap selection of CD's for $2.50, Crap Selection of DVD's at prices the same as Blockbuster, slim pickings on the newspaper/magazine front, unfriendly opening hours (usually not beyond 6pm, except maybe one night a week, half-day saturdays, no sundays), dwindling reference books, disenchanted staff. Basically, in many areas the service is only just hanging on by the skin of its teeth.

Here's a better example. When I was sorting the books out in my UK house, getting ready to move, I boxed up almost my entire collection (bar some "must keep" faves) and drove it to the local library. I rang the rear doorbell and asked the librarian if the library still took donations. She said yes, I popped the trunk and showed her what I wished to give them. She looked at the massive pile of books, at me, back to the books and then.... burst into tears at my "wonderful generosity".

She then told me her budget - for the entire fucking YEAR - to buy new books with was.... £1800 ($3500) and that my donation was like some kind of gift from the gods.
Opulence. I has it.

Doug

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2005, 01:50:43 PM »

I got my first response already...

Quote from: "DogStarMan"
To whom it may concern,

I have recently been made aware of the following facts:

>>The Dayton Metro Library spends only 3.8% of its budget on videos, DVDs, music, audiobooks and other non-print materials.
>>Charging fees for services and the use of materials won’t make up for the cuts in the state budget.
>>The Dayton Metro Library counts on state funding for 64% of its income.
>>Funding for Ohio public libraries has been reduced while state revenues have grown.

There is something seriously wrong with this picture.  I am a parent and I take my kid to the library once or twice a week.  We value it as a place where all people in the community, from every walk of life, can come together and gain knowledge without having to spend money.  We highly value this and don't take it for granted.  I fear that forcing libraries to charge service fees is the first step to a serious errosion in the quality of our public library system.  Something needs to be done to assure that this type of service can continue and that my child can take his children to the library to enjoy it the same way we do.  I would like to see that the libraries get the funding they need without resorting to this tactic.

Thank you for your letter expressing concerns for the Library and Local Government Support Fund. I share your interest and am committed to protecting present funding for our state libraries.

The legislation dealing with this matter, House Bill 66, is currently being debated in the House of Representatives Finance and Appropriations Committee. Unfortunately, I will not have the opportunity to amend or vote on this bill until it passes the House.  However, I will certainly keep your concerns and those of our public libraries in mind once the bill reaches the Senate.

Thank you again for your letter.  If you have any further questions regarding library funding or House Bill 66 and its progress, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely,

Jeff Jacobson
State Senator
6th District

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2005, 02:48:51 PM »

That's pretty cool that you got a response so quickly!
Well.......

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2005, 03:01:36 PM »

I can tell you exactly how that transaction went:

Hmm... an e-mail.  Let's see here. *digs in file of canned replies*  Ah here we are libraries, affirmative.  *copy* *paste*.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

bluebastard

• City Elder
  • No more Wilco
    • portfolio
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2005, 03:10:25 PM »

I honestly think these types of budget cuts only happen in Red states.  This isn't some political bullshit, but I think funding goes elsewhere in those states.  Out here in sunny Seattle, or library system is in the midst of a renaissance, as is the whole state's library system.  In Seattle alone, many of the branches have been renovated or moved to larger locations, with updated equipment, computer, books, DVDs, CDs, etc.  It's wonderful.  Being from a mid-sized Indiana town, I remember having a decent, but underfunded library because of libraries bearing the brunt of budget cuts.  Now out here, we have to pay a higher gas tax, sales tax and excise tax, but the rewards are well worth it.  I guess I'm in a boat that if I have to pay a little more to get more, than I'll do it.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »

I dunno.  The libraries in Kentucky all seem to be getting better too.  They're replacing the one in Independence in the next few years because they've out grown it and it's less than 10 years old.  They also just built new ones in Erlanger and Newport that I know of.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2005, 03:24:43 PM »

Quote from: "bluewilco"
I honestly think these types of budget cuts only happen in Red states.  This isn't some political bullshit, but I think funding goes elsewhere in those states.

Minnesota, or specifically, the Minneapolis libraries have all had to cut back hours, in some cases, days.  The library I used to have group discussions at cut back to being open four days a week.  In 2003, the library system lost $4.5 million in state aid and was forced to do this.  How much does that work out to per person in Minneapolis?  $12.  Twelve measly dollars.  Less than one night's dinner out for a family of four.  Sad.

This is a great article about MN's situation and applies to what's going on in Ohio somewhat.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2005, 03:55:09 PM »

I'm willing to pay a fair amount in taxes for services such as decent libraries, good schools, and social services but I think the powers that be don't make those things a priority.
Well.......

vizzah

• Self-cleaning mutant
  • City Elder
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2005, 08:41:42 PM »

if the public libraries are going to start charging, i'd be willing to get down with that...something along the lines of what cuddly mentioned, like a sliding scale.  first of all, kids wanting to check out books should not be charged under any circumstance.  DVDs and CDs would be a different story, but we're talking about kids enriching their knowledge here.  a lot of poor kids want to read.  when i was little, i was all about reading, but we were poor - so that left the sub-par school library (especially in rural-ish towns where certain books wouldn't be carried in a school library) or the public library.  as much as my folks would have loved to support my addiction to books, we could have never afforded it.  

aside from that, a sliding scale might work.  maybe.  if you're broke, and it costs you something like $1-2 to check out a book for a week, why not just go to Half Price Books and buy it for around $6?  

ugh.  dirty, dirty lawmakers.
In case of emergency, breakdance.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up