News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Saved  (Read 3601 times)

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Saved
« on: May 28, 2004, 03:16:08 PM »

Anybody else interested in this? I'd like to see it sometime, but not this weekend (I'll be pretty busy anyway and my parents live in a small town that never gets first-run movies). I was just curious what everybody else thought about it.

For those who haven't heard about it, the basic plot line is that it's about a girl at a Christian school who gets pregnant and the reactions by everybody in the school to the news. Reviews tend to use the phrase "subversive comedy" to describe it. Various (fundamentalist) Christian groups are up in arms about it (surprise, surprise).
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Fitz

• Summer Resident
Saved
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 03:14:42 PM »

i so want to see it

LanneyD

• Asleep in the Back
  • City Elder
Saved
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 06:21:54 PM »

I really want to see it too.

Even though I'm a Christian (though NOT in a holier than though, better than you, I'm right you're wrong type of way many of them are) I've enjoyed many of the movies that have "desecrated the Church" or whatever those people say.  

Plus it has Mandy Moore.  And she's hot.
I lived my dream today
and I have lived it yesterday
-The Libertines

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Saved
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 11:12:50 PM »

Yes, it has that going for it, too. Did I not mention that?

Oh well, guess I didn't.

Yeah, it's got Mandy Moore in it. So go see it.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Juliana

• City Elder
Saved
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 09:06:37 AM »

Basically what I've heard is that it doesn't mock religion, just people who use religion like another accessory.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Megs79

• Lunchlady Arms
  • City Elder
Saved
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 11:09:14 AM »

I want to see it too, but it might be a hard sell to the bf.  We always have to agree on movies.  Though I was surprised when he said he wanted to see Mean Girls.  I wonder if he likes Mandy as much as Lindsay...

The cast looks really interesting- Macauley Culkin, Patrick Fugit, Mandy Moore, Jena Malone...  I love Patrick Fugit- he was so cute in almost famous.

Doug

Saved
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 11:20:36 AM »

I listened to the McAuley Culkin interview on Fresh Air about this movie.  It sounds great.  I can't wait to see it.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
Saved
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 01:23:57 PM »

I think I'm in love with Mandy Moore.

Hell Toupee

Saved
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 11:21:41 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I think I'm in love with Mandy Moore.

Sorry Scott. 'I Think I'm In Love' was sung by Jessica Simpson.

Nice try though.

-ct

Sue

Saved
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 12:28:43 AM »

Quote from: "DogStarMan"
I listened to the McAuley Culkin interview on Fresh Air about this movie.  It sounds great.  I can't wait to see it.

hey, I heard that too!   it got me pretty stoked about seeing this ... perhaps this wknd?

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Saved
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 09:22:32 AM »

Seeing this is on my "to-do" list for this weekend, now that it's been released in this area.

bmxer43

• City Elder
Saved
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 09:38:35 AM »

I want to see it too.
earching for something forever gone.....something we will always want---robert smith

Marlowe

• foppish twit
  • City Elder
Saved
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 01:52:05 PM »

I thought it was pretty good. Not great, but worth checking out. Like Juliana said, it didn't mock religion as much as it does hypocrisy & close-mindedness. I think a lot of people are barely aware that there is a whole parallel universe of Christian culture out there of christian rock bands, publishing, youth groups, etc., and this is the first movie I know of that explores that world. Pastor Skip was really good as the 'hipster' principal who uses hip-hop slang. Sample funny quote:

Pastor Skip: Ah... I'm concerned about Mary, and I think that you could help her...
Tia: You mean like shoot her?
Pastor Skip: No, I was thinking something a little less gangsta.

Jena Malone was really good and I'm sure we'll be seeing more of her. I've seen her in Donnie Darko and an HBO tv movie she did called Cheaters, and she's a very good actress and is a fresh-faced cutie.

And I love that Macauley Culkin is making a comeback. He did a good job in this and I hope he keeps doing interesting roles and indie movies.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Saved
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 02:06:08 PM »

I loved this movie. Had me laughing and falling in love with Patrick Fugit.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
Saved
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004, 02:46:01 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing this, maybe this saturday while hubby's at work.

Quote from: "DudeMan"
I thought it was pretty good. Not great, but worth checking out. Like Juliana said, it didn't mock religion as much as it does hypocrisy & close-mindedness. I think a lot of people are barely aware that there is a whole parallel universe of Christian culture out there of christian rock bands, publishing, youth groups, etc.,

I actually had to qualify a post on another messageboard because I said I was going to go see carmen and I didn't want people to think I was going to see the christian rockstar carmen *shudder*
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up