Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thank goodness for TROY  (Read 3127 times)

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
Thank goodness for TROY
« on: May 14, 2004, 01:11:38 PM »

It's the only good thing about today!  

I am so looking forward to seeing Odysseus!  MMMRAWR

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Thank goodness for TROY
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 02:25:13 PM »

There was an interesting article in Slate yesterday about how hard it's been for casting directors in the past (and with this movie) to cast the part of Helen of Troy. Apparently, the whole "launching a thousand ships" thing is a hell of a reputation to live up to...

I'll try to find the link, but it was right off of the main page earlier today.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Nepenthean

• http://www.videogamebible.com
Thank goodness for TROY
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 07:02:13 PM »

Everything I have read about Troy has said it sucked.  Ebert said that "Homer's estate should sue." and another review I read said the following:

Then again, a sense of humor is just about the last thing you'd expect from the makers of Troy, a lavish sword-and-sandal epic so solemn, portentous and impersonal it calls to mind a quote from the estimable film critic Homer Simpson: "Your movie is more boring than church."

I'll certainly see what I think for myself, but I'm probably going to wait until it comes out on video or somebody I know tells me I should check it out in the theater.

rva

Thank goodness for TROY
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 09:02:13 PM »

I love those movie phrases like "sword and sandals epic," or "salt and pepper cops."  They amuse me greatly, but I don't know why.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Thank goodness for TROY
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 03:45:57 AM »

Quote from: "Jonathan"
There was an interesting article in Slate yesterday about how hard it's been for casting directors in the past (and with this movie) to cast the part of Helen of Troy. Apparently, the whole "launching a thousand ships" thing is a hell of a reputation to live up to...

I'll try to find the link, but it was right off of the main page earlier today.

OK, here's the link. I forgot (oops) that most of the information is not on the page, but a pop-up slide show. Still, if you're interested, here you go.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2100449/
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

IPrayForTang

• On my way to a nut flush!
  • City Elder
Thank goodness for TROY
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 10:51:11 PM »

Ugh...that was a long and boring sit.  On the plus side, though, I'm well aware that I watched it for the last time.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
Thank goodness for TROY
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 12:50:20 AM »

So...I guess tie-dye was invented in Troy?  Hmmm.  You learn something new everyday.  

Bad writing.  Bad direction.  

The smaller roles were way better than the stars.  When you see O'Toole and Pitt trade lines...well, you just want to wake Pitt up and tell him to stop attempting to act.  The dude is one-dimensional.  The plus side for me:  Sean Bean is in a movie where he doesn't die.  Rock on!   :wink:

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
Thank goodness for TROY
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 04:46:42 PM »

Probably the most balanced review I've seen and they also offer casting suggestions to have replaced Brad Pitt.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
Thank goodness for TROY
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 03:09:16 PM »

I loved that review kcneon. The casting suggestions were priceless. This movie might get seen as a rental...
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Thank goodness for TROY
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 04:48:20 PM »

As posted by Rance.

Late last century, I was at the big annual film tech expo in NYC where companies show off the newest in everything from lens-cleaning tissues to weather-making machines. A major attraction was the new generation of digital video cameras that would radically simplify movie production. Far and away the biggest draw though was a relatively rudimentary piece of software--the first program that could write a screenplay for you. Dozens of black-clad young film types elbowed one another to hear the details.

“In the not-too-distant future,” boasted the company’s shill, “all you’ll have to do is select the type of hero you want, choose his name--or let the software select one for you--then, essentially, double-click ‘Plot Type,’ and a few minutes later you’ll have yourself a 120-page, perfectly-structured, three-act screenplay.”

Of note, he never claimed that the screenplay would be good.

Evidently, the not-too-distant future is now, marked by the release of “Troy.”
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

72valiant

• Citizen
Thank goodness for TROY
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 12:26:06 PM »

i saw it and liked it lots.  not on par w/, say, braveheart.  myself, i got real caught up in the beautiful cinematography.  and the historical stuff fascinates me.  the little day-to-day stuff like all the stuff - slaves, food, horses, weapons - that had to come over on all those boats.  definitely took me away to another place.
Pages: [1]   Go Up