Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What DVDs have you bought recently?  (Read 5092 times)

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
What DVDs have you bought recently?
« on: June 02, 2004, 11:36:07 AM »

We've got this thread for music, books, heck, even lunch, so I figured the DVD and videotape set needed one, too. Feel free to post the movies you've bought (or want to buy) recently.

I'm a DVD addict, pretty much. Usually I'll buy them when they first come out (and are cheaper) or I'll wait until they show up at my local used CD/DVD store. I love that place, but it's so bad for my wallet.

Last week, or two weeks ago (can't really remember) I picked up "Miracle" It was a great movie, and Kurt Russell did a phenomenal job as Herb Brooks - mostly because you forgot that was Kurt Russell up on screen and could easily believe it was really Herb Brooks. There was a deal at Best Buy - the movie and the HBO documentary about the "Miracle on Ice" game for 20 bucks in total. I couldn't pass that up.

Then yesterday, I got the third season of "Coupling." I love collecting TV shows on DVD, and Coupling is one of my favorites. The fourth season is about to be screened on BBC America starting this weekend - I can't wait.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 12:06:13 PM »

Kids in the Hall Season 1.

Classic.

Season 2 comes out in July for those wondering.

bmxer43

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 12:24:09 PM »

I picked up The Compleat Donald and Walt Disney on the Front Lines.  Also picked up bootleg copies of a bunch of Charlie Chan movies, and the Freaks & Geeks series set.
earching for something forever gone.....something we will always want---robert smith

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 03:35:45 PM »

RAPPIN' w/ Mario Van Peebles and Rae Dawn Chong & SOME GIRL w/ Marissa "Mrs. Beck" Rabissi, Juliette Lewis, Michael Rappaport, Giovanni Ribisi, & more...
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 05:05:51 PM »

Last weekend, for forty bucks at Blockbuster, we picked up:  Big Fish, Kill Bill, Cabin Fever, and School of Rock.

Also last weekend, we picked up the following 6 movies on VHS for 20 bucks at Vidiots (a great video store in Santa Monica - they are converting more of their collection to DVD and selling off random stuff):  Storytelling, Waking Life, Scanners, Run Ronnie, Run, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and Artemisia.

shivvyshiv

• http://www.livejournal.com/~popbitch/
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 03:17:14 PM »

As some of you may know, I am a dvd addict! Of course I've been slowed down a bit...but you can still buy a lot of dvd's with traded-in crappy cd's. :-)

I just picked up MONSTER, SUMMER SCHOOL, LIVE FOREVER: THE RISE AND FALL OF BRITPOP, BUFFY SEASON 6, FLIRTING WITH DISASTER: SE, TRAINSPOTTING: SE, and HAROLD AND MAUDE. Oh yeah, and I bought the first season of PENN & TELLER BULLSHIT used at Movie Gallery.

Recently crossed the 700 mark...

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 03:37:17 PM »

Damn man...I think I crossed the 25 mark this year.  =)
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2004, 03:53:55 PM »

Wow.  I don't know where I would PUT 700 DVDs.  I think either Brian or I would have to move out.

shivvyshiv

• http://www.livejournal.com/~popbitch/
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004, 04:23:12 PM »

They are mostly organized, but now I do just have piles of newer things I've bought because there is no place to put them. :-)  

The website I use to catalog my collection doesn't have every disc I own in their database. I would guess I am probably closer to 750 these days:

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=shivvyshiv

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 11:19:56 AM »

I just hit the 80 mark. So I'm about one-tenth of the way there. Sigh.

I guess if you count actual, physical DVDs (TV shows and that) I'm over 100 discs, but that's not really the same.

Oh, and I just bought the director's cut of "Ali" this weekend.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 10:06:10 PM »

Just picked up So I Married An Axe Murderer and Reservior Dogs.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2004, 07:59:11 PM »

My paycheck came early (I wasn't expecting it until the 15th)...and I had a Best Buy coupon, so I bought the sixth season of M*A*S*H while it was still on sale.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2004, 12:28:54 PM »

Just picked up Love Actually :) We're trying to wait on buying ROTK until the big set comes out at Christmas, but I don't know if I can wait that long...
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

chico

• Tourist
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2004, 06:12:06 AM »

Picked up Big Fish, The Last Samurai, 50 First Dates and Spiderman.
ave a tree, wipe with an owl!

LanneyD

• Asleep in the Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2004, 03:52:03 PM »

Last weekend I picked up:
Big Fish
Gosford Park
24 Hour Party People
I lived my dream today
and I have lived it yesterday