Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What DVDs have you bought recently?  (Read 4985 times)

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
What DVDs have you bought recently?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2004, 08:35:37 PM »

Quote from: "LanneyD"
Last weekend I picked up:
24 Hour Party People

You watch that yet? If so, how was it?
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

LanneyD

• Asleep in the Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2004, 09:10:11 PM »

Quote from: "Jonathan"
24 Hour Party People

Unfortunately, I've only watched a little more than half of it.  Its interesting.  Definitely a rental, but I don't know if it has that repeatability necessary for owning a movie.  I'd say its a definite pick up for a rental.  (I bought it for 8 bucks at Hollywood Video - so all I have to do is watch it twice, and that'll make it worth buying it)
I lived my dream today
and I have lived it yesterday
-The Libertines

foolsgold

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2004, 10:27:41 AM »

24 Hour Party People

You didn't ask, but I'll weigh in anyway.  I love this movie so dearly, but that could be because I am such a big Joy Division, Happy Mondays, Manchester music fan.  The guy who plays Tony Wilson is remarkable, getting his self-rightous swarminess down to a tee.  I found myself loathing him, yet still having some level of sympathy/optimism for his situation.

The music, naturally, gets top marks, the guy who plays Ian Curtis will really disturb you in that creepy "did they resurrect him" way and, most importantly, there were so many times that I had to pause the DVD just to recover from laughing so hard.

Fools "Durutti Column will be HUGE" Gold

LanneyD

• Asleep in the Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2004, 11:02:29 AM »

I didn't know much about the scene before, but I'm discovering a lot of stuff out about it.  Hell, I never even knew what the other meaning of "joy division" was.
I lived my dream today
and I have lived it yesterday
-The Libertines

bmxer43

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2004, 11:22:45 AM »

I didn't like it nearly as much as I hoped I would.  The performances were excellent, but I still left the theater feeling like I didn't know anything about the people the movie was about.
earching for something forever gone.....something we will always want---robert smith

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2004, 11:46:41 AM »

Thanks for all the insight, folks.

I've got 24 Hour Party People on my Amazon wish list, but it's one of those gifts that I don't think anyone is going to buy for me, I'm going to have to get it for myself. If I ever see it at the used DVD store I'll definitely pick it up.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2004, 01:09:53 AM »

Picked up Volume 2 (Season 3) of Family Guy as well as Lost in Translation for free (because I filled up my frequent buyer's card). Bonus!

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2004, 09:22:55 AM »

we got the first season of Monk last weekend
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2004, 11:56:17 AM »

My last two DVD purchases:

61* was on sale at Circuity City recently for $5.99.  Score.  Also, Target had So I Married an Axe Murder a couple weeks ago for $7.50, couldn't pass that up.

Hopefully, I'll be getting the M*A*S*H season 6 set soon, as well as Simpsons season 4 and Tour of Duty season 1.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2004, 12:53:44 PM »

We picked up the new Simpsons Vol 4 set the other day. I also bought the second part of The Man Show Vol.1 recently. CR has to have his fix of girls jumping on trampolines.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2004, 02:47:24 PM »

I've got 24 Hour Party People on my Amazon wish list, but it's one of those gifts that I don't think anyone is going to buy for me, I'm going to have to get it for myself. If I ever see it at the used DVD store I'll definitely pick it up.

Well, it was at the used store, so I picked it up today for $7.99, along with the remake of The Italian Job for $9.99.

I actually saw them there yesterday, but I couldn't buy them then because I was planning on redeeming my frequent buyer card. As many DVDs as I bought to fill up that card, I was going to get the $13.99 copy of Lost in Translation for free, dammit!

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2004, 08:53:36 AM »

Just bought (and watched) Cold Mountain--it was soooo good, but ended our weekend on a down note :(
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2004, 09:12:50 AM »

Michael Palin's Around the World in 80 Days

We bought this awhile ago but had never actually sat down to watch it. CR saw it on the Beeb when it originally aired in 1989, but I'd never seen it. It was very fascinating, especially Episode 3, when Palin and his team of cameraman, soundman and director miss a connection in Saudi Arabia and end up sailing on a traditional dhow with a group of Indian men from Dubai to Bombay.

We watched the entire series over the holiday weekend. Palin started his journey in London, tracing Phileas Fogg's legendary journey as closely as he could. Along the way he went to Venice, Cairo, Jeddah, Dubai, Bombay, Madras, Singapore, Yokohama, Los Angeles, Glenwood Springs, Chicago, and New York, with other stops along the way.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2004, 09:23:45 AM »

Quote from: "MissKitty"
Michael Palin's Around the World in 80 Days

This was sooo awesome, caught it on a&e or pbs (which ever it was that broadcast it here)...
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up