Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Ass  (Read 2852 times)

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Ass
« on: June 05, 2004, 12:38:29 AM »

I saw this today.  All I'll say is I haven't read book 4 or 5, but so far, every book/film's villain centers around the Defense of Dark Arts teacher.  Is an original plot too much to ask here, three films in?  I know they're kids' books, but when I'm figuring out how shit will end halfway through, something ain't right.  

I don't dig this series at all.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 03:13:22 AM »

Is this supposed to be in the blasphemous statements thread?

I LOVE the books.  The movies...not quite as good, but I have great hope for this third one.  Hopefully, I'll get to see it sometime in the next week.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 10:52:57 AM »

If you dig it, that's fine by me.  I do not so far.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

Hell Toupee

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 11:38:31 PM »

I wasn't a big fan of the first two films, but this one was decent for a couple of reasons.

1 - The director, Alfonso Cuaron. He has shots in this movie that are just dazzling, not to mention how much it feels like half a Fellini film / half Nine Inch Nails video. The wash-out effect coupled with the beautiful cinematography were really well done. Chris Columbus' versions were too bright and cheery for me.

2 - It WASN'T a direct translation of the book, so if you want the full story, you still have to read the book. I don't read them myself, but everyone complained how the first two were so literal. This one isn't and will force you to read the book to get the missing parts.

3 - Better acting as the kids get older and more comfortable with the material.

4 - Better CGI. Less of Quidditch (which got old really quickly for me in the first movie), and more interesting work, especially the fantastic Buckbeak, which looks very genuine in all scenes that it's in.

5 - It's more cut-to-the-chase story-wise. All the elements are easy to follow without you having to know much about the Potter world. It helps, but it doesn't hurt you if you see this without having touched or seen anything 'Potter'.

What I didn't like?....

1 - Gambon as Dumbledor. I miss Richard Harris.

2 - Slow build-up. The scenes with Harry's various 'family' moments don't do anything for me. Thank God it's short in this one.

3 - Unexplained Dementors (Azkahban's guardians - big whoop). I wish there was a scene for Sirius Black's escape from the prison.

Other than that, I was entertained. It has great moments in it that I didn't expect, and I'm sure the kids will still enjoy it. It's definitely more stylish, and that may turn some people off, but overall I think it's a darker vision for a darker story. Well done in my book.

4 out of 5 cheese doodles.

-ct

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 08:36:02 AM »

I thought it was good.

I didn't think it was that obvious ahead of time what was going to happen, especially with Lupin.  In the book it's more obvious, but they left a lot of those details out in the movie I thought.

Anyway, I thought this film was very well done.  I like this director a LOT better than Columbus.

I thought Gambon was good.  IT's not as though they really had much choice in the matter afterall.  It's not like they fired Harris.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
Re: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Ass
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 10:42:46 AM »

Quote from: "Nate"
Is an original plot too much to ask here, three films in?  I know they're kids' books, but when I'm figuring out how shit will end halfway through, something ain't right.
I think you're expectations are too high, mate!  To me it's just a cute story for this generation.  My niece & I have made the trip to see each one within the first couple of weeks, so we'll probably both look back at it as a fun tradition.  Guess I just don't read too much into it.  Rowling is not another Tolkien.  ;)

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
Re: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Ass
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 11:14:52 AM »

Quote from: "kcneon"
Rowling is not another Tolkien.  ;)

Yeah, no matter how much she "borrowed" from him.

Yeah, so, good movie.  I liked it lots.  This director is friggin' awesome.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

mona

• Summer Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 11:35:30 AM »

I loved the directors use of the iris effect. there were so many beautiful shots that I was really impressed with. my friend and I have both read the entires series and we were sitting there, obviously already aware of the entire story. yet there was a lot they left out, and some things I thought they should've kept in. but I realize the biggest complaint about the last two (which I enjoyed, but I think I like this one better) was that they were too literal, so I understand the decision. all in all, the movie flowed well and it was fun and the acting was better, the story great (as usual) and beautifully shot.
I'm sure I"ll go see it again.
size=9]people kill me these days
there's keys in their eyes,
but they lock from the inside.

// jawbreaker[/size]

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 11:48:31 AM »

Some things would have made SO much more sense if you would have read the book though.
My sister and I spent all of dinner explaining things to my mom and cousin who haven't read them
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 12:40:49 PM »

With the noted exception of the intermission due to the medical emergency, I enjoyed the movie. It had a much different feel to it than the last two, it was a lot darker--it worked for this one. My husband took some issue with certain things that weren't the same as they were in the book, but I only had to hush his complaining once as opposed to several times when we watched the two towers and return of the king. It's probably too dark for the young kids that were in the audience that night, but the rest of us seemed to dig it.

I LOVED the shrunken heads, not sure why, just did.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

SenorCardgage

• Tourist
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 03:26:46 PM »

Overall I thought I was a great third installment.  It so hard with the books getting bigger and bigger to cram everything in the movie.  I found myself thinking "Oh, I wish this was in the movie, it would have explained it so much better..."  So that night I was bummed, but realized there is only so much they can do.

Everybody keeps saying it was a darker movie.  I think the book came off much darker than the film.  I loved the Dementors, and I thought Lupin's character was great even though it was trimmed from his role in the book.
See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with. Long as she does it quiet like."

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson
Pages: [1]   Go Up