Author Topic: SNL  (Read 8813 times)

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
SNL
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 01:58:33 AM »

I bumped an ancient thread on woxy and posted this, but since most of those that posted in that thread have posted in this one, I'm cross posting.

On tonight's SNL, Alec Baldwin made a trip to the Platinum suite, where he encountered Steve Martin. For those of you who have watched for many years, this was the same suite that Tom Hanks visited in 1990 when he joined the Five-Timer Club. This was Alec's 13th time hosting, which he initial thought tied Steve's record, but Steve has apparently hosted 14 times, so he still holds the record.

In the original skill, Elliott Gould and Paul Simon were also hanging out in the club. Conan O'Brien, an SNL writer at the time, was the doorman. Tonight's version of the skit had Martin Short as the waiter, and instead of Paul Simon, it was Paul McCartney.

I had a good laugh, but mostly in memory of the skit from 16 years ago, and Alec's reference to Sweaty Balls. Also because these were the guys who made SNL funny.

It was also pretty funny when the real Tony Bennett showed up as Anthony Benedetto (his birth name) on the Tony Bennett show, with Alec doing a great Tony Bennett impersonation.

Lorne was pulling in all his favors tonight, I think. (Tina and Tracey's appearance during the monologue was a given.) Although Tony does have a network special in a week and a half.

No links to the videos, though. At least not yet.
also known as rcc94

Juliana

• City Elder
SNL
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 09:07:07 AM »

I totally forgot Alec was on!  I actually would have watched.  He's one of the best hosts, along with John Goodman.  Any clue how many times John has hosted?
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

dirk

• City Elder
SNL
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 09:41:05 AM »

I recorded it last night and need to watch it today.  Alec is good, but I recorded it for the musical guest for a change (Christina Aguilera).  They have been really hurting this year so far.  The last time I watched it, not even the news was funny (and that has been good even at their lowest points).

Edit:  I'm REALLY glad I recorded this.  The Tony Bennett/Christina Aguilera duet was worth it alone.  It was probably a once in a lifetime chance to see that, and they both sounded wonderful.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
SNL
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 04:55:04 PM »

Favorite line from last night by Alec Baldwin:  "Bobby McFerrin raped my grandmother."

I only caught the first half, and the rest is recorded, but the rest of the cast seemed to rise to the occasion.  Alec Baldwin is ALWAYS awesome on SNL.

pathogen

• not now james...
  • City Elder
SNL
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 05:37:45 PM »

Quote from: "redbobsled"
Favorite line from last night by Alec Baldwin:  "Bobby McFerrin raped my grandmother."

i felt out and peed myself after that line.  good stuff.

Hell Toupee

SNL
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 09:07:28 PM »

While kicking Steve Martin... "I did Schwetty Balls!"

Yeah, it was decent, if only for a week.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
SNL
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 03:13:08 PM »

Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

rva

SNL
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 12:14:37 AM »

It took me a full 2/3 of the video to realize who that was.  Then I laughed my ass off.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
SNL
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006, 08:33:27 AM »

Hilarious!
Well.......

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
SNL
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2006, 08:42:57 AM »

The uncensored version: http://video.nbc.com/v/?linkId=51289

Also, the first half of Give It On Up to Homelessville: http://video.nbc.com/v/?linkId=51288

And from my bump post, the Platinum Lounge: http://video.nbc.com/v/?linkId=43749
I read that Alec didn't know McCartney was going to be there, so be sure to check his reaction.
also known as rcc94

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
SNL
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 01:34:54 PM »

Andy Samberg seems to be involving himself in the funniest SNL skits. That was awesome.

thepsychicpoirot

SNL
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2006, 10:17:01 AM »

Does anyone have this in a non-streaming format that you can share?

Salad Days

• Tourist
SNL
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2006, 04:21:59 PM »

I've watched that about 7 times already today

SNL is so horrible anymore, but it just goes to show you, that even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then
I'm from Seoul but I'm not a soldier

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
SNL
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 01:11:04 PM »

OK, so I lift my temporary restraining order to watch Dwight Schrute and The Arcade Fire this weekend.  

Everything about it seems so self-congratulatory now.  Weekend Update was 15 fucking minutes long, and I'm not exaggerating.  I timed it.  Everyone on that seemed so smug.  No one can go 1 minute in a sketch without cracking a smile, as though the jokes were really that funny.  And the sketches just go on forever, as though a wandering nomad in a desert completely devoid of any laughs... sure, every once in a while you see an oasis, but then you get there and you find out that the audience wasn't really laughing at the joke, but rather someone's mustache has fallen off or some such.

It was painful.  They need to re-work this thing or just kill it.

Doug

SNL
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 01:30:18 PM »

I've been Tivo-ing it so i can fast forward past the painful stuff.  I really suffered from watching Dwigh Schrute be so un-funny.  I had to watch The Office to wipe it out of my mind.

Plus, what's the big deal about The Arcade Fire.  Did they save a baby from a burning building or give some old lady CPR?  Because I really don't get what's so much better about their music than anything else that's out there right now.  People are talking them up like they're the second coming, so I watched and all I saw was halfway decent music played by a huge band that, although they were playing fiercely, you couldn't hear half the instruments.  Then the lead guy busts up a guitar.  Lame.

Anyways, people are talking about this season being better than most, but I think it's pretty much the same.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up